1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What homebrew are you drinking now?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BILF, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILF

BILF Savant (465) Israel Jan 9, 2010

[​IMG]

Belgian Wheat Ale.
  2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

none, unfortunately. I'm at school slacking off during class surfing BA and other non-school related sites. :rolleyes:

However, when I get home it'll be my PtE pseudo-clone. Not really a clone but a darn fine IIPA especially considering it was my first attempt at the style. :cool:
    NiceFly and BILF like this.
  3. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Working, but tapped at home is an average American Black Ale with 100% Centennial hops...good, but disappointing. Also, bottles of an Oaked American Barleywine and a Coffee Oat Stout which are both fantastic.
    NiceFly and BILF like this.
  4. Finishing my keg of Irish Red.
    cgskippy and NiceFly like this.
  5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I've got one bottle of kitchen sink stout left as well as five bottles of Citra APA v1.1, need to brew this weekend or I'll be dried out soon.
    NiceFly likes this.
  6. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

[​IMG]
    Chinook/Simcoe APA
  7. About to open up an orange-peel/peach pale ale for the Champions League matches coming up in 15 minutes.
    Cugabuh, Bjlps and NiceFly like this.
  8. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Drank a bottle of Imperial Vanilla Chai Latte last night (12.5% Milk stout with chai spices & vanilla beans) and a bottle of BA Cabernet Flander's Red (7% Flanders Red, 11-month secondary fermentation in French Oak Cabernet barrels), along with a bottle of $600 port in celebration of my first patent and publication in grad school (With family and friends, I'd be an alcoholic if I drank that alone).
    FeDUBBELFIST, MrOH, jlordi12 and 8 others like this.
  9. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

I don't know what is more impressive, the lettuce garden in the background, your head retention on the IPA, or your incredibly gross bruised toenail.
    Cugabuh, Theortiz01 and NiceFly like this.
  10. SFACRKnight

It's good to see someone else with a darker APA. Everyone busts my chops about my srm's...
    NiceFly likes this.
  11. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

It is actually just 100% American Pale Malt, 2.something Lovibond. The American knockoff of a British malt.

OG54 FG12.
  12. SFACRKnight

Dang, must just be the lighting. I put my APAs right up against the style limitations. 1.060 og, 40-45 ibu's, 12 srm. Essentially a malty IPA, but whatevs.
    NiceFly likes this.
  13. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

Not me, I like those darker SRM pale ales. I am a big fan of Stone Pale Ale too (not sure the SRMs but it's pretty red). I am not sure what my latest batch of pale ale will look like (it's fermenting now) but I expect about an 11-12 SRM.
  14. SFACRKnight

Firestone Walker DBA is pretty dang dark too. I love that beer.
  15. BILF

BILF Savant (465) Israel Jan 9, 2010

Most impressive is the jar that NiceFly is drinking from.
    jlordi12, barfdiggs and NiceFly like this.
  16. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

I don't even know what to classify the wheat I have on tap right now... It was meant to use American Wheat but they were out of that particular strain so we when with Weihenstephen Weizen and now we have some sort of Ameri-Weizen. N. American hops and grains with German yeast (though we do pretty much always sub in a generic base malt). Delicious nonetheless.
    AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  17. I tend to do this too. Got one that's been in the keg on gas since Sunday, maybe going to go pull a sample now to see how it's coming along.
  18. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Just kicked a keg of kolsch and a keg of Simcoe APA. I've got a 60 shilling ale I need to keg and I need to brew 3 more batches this month to keep the pipeline going. :)
  19. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (475) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Not drinking at this moment, maybe later tonight. Got an IPA on tap, and Black IPA, dopplebock, Bavarian Hefe, Dry Hopped Mango Sour Blonde, Oaked Blackberry Sour Blonde, and a few others in bottles.
    BILF, epk and barfdiggs like this.
  20. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Currently drinking a Maibock. Earlier was a Table Saison with dinner. Very happy with both!
    BILF likes this.
  21. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

Since we don't talk about mead here, just finished a German Pilsner. I think it is my best effort.

cheers--
    --Michael
  22. SABERG

SABERG Savant (460) Massachusetts Sep 16, 2007

Congratulations on all those accomplishments!

Cheers
  23. Pale Wheat Ale with Centennial and Riwaka hops... very good!

Just got my 20lb steel CO2 tank in today, gotta get it filled so I can carbonate beers while waiting for space in the kegerator to open up. I am making all of the space in my tiny apartment work for me now!
    BILF likes this.
  24. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I'm drinking a Belgian "cream ale ." Basically a Belgian pale ale with corn grits accounting for 7.5% of the fermentables. Best beer I ever made. However, my favorite beer is often the one I happen to be drinking. :)

Carbonation is a bit of a mess because of my keg leak referenced in another post. It hasn't really dissolved into the beer yet. In the absence of the carbonation bite, some flavors of the beer seem more pronounced. The honey malt and biscuit malt is a little more overt. In fact, I would say this is the first time that I ever thought a beer brewed with honey malt actually seemed like it had honey in it. Forces me to reconsider the dozen or so times that I've proclaimed that honey malt is badly named.
    BILF and herrburgess like this.
  25. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

This year's pilsner: A German style with 100% Hersbruker, fermented with WLP833 (German Bock) yeast. Probably my best pils to date, but still some issues (in terms of completely nailing the style): (1) throws a slight chill haze, and (2) a bit minerally due to my high carbonate water here in the intermountain west. I think with next year's batch I'll start with RO water and build up the minerals to see the effect of the water.
  26. SUBER

SUBER Aficionado (155) California Jan 26, 2013

Drinking my brown ale.
    Super delighted with this beer.
    1.054 to 1.010 with US05 with the temp at 64
  27. Mattreinitz

Mattreinitz Zealot (80) New York Mar 1, 2012

None, I'm out... NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Some unexpected company cleaned out my fridge this weekend and my German Altbier is not done carbing.
    herrburgess likes this.
  28. JUNCK

JUNCK Aficionado (135) Washington Jan 7, 2011

Northern Brewer's Dry Dock Breakwater Pale Ale All Grain kit. Turned out really good! Only a case left. :(
  29. Tebuken

Tebuken Savant (320) Argentina Jun 6, 2009

Belgian Dubbel, nice coriander touch
    BILF likes this.
  30. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Drank a Vienna Lager while grilling and for post meal refreshment, Tottenham ESB named after my favorite EPL team.
  31. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Golden bitter. My version of an easy drinker that will work for everyone.
    BILF and herrburgess like this.
  32. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

3 Days into carbing my SpringTime Blonde Ale, I couldn't wait any longer and just had to pull a pint. Definitely need more time to carb but the color and flavor came out great! Very excited for it. It'll be ready just in time for my B-Day BBQ mid April.
  33. right now right now? an American Barleywine from the first part of a parti-gyle from last April. it's close to 12% and has zero carbonation (I'll use Champagne yeast next time)
    BILF likes this.
  34. I'm fresh out. I just tapped an all citra pale ale tonight. I have a rye saison sitting in the fermenter for a couple weeks now that I used super galena hops on for the first time. And I just finished a session blond ale that probably won't be as session able as I want it to be because I overshot my OG. Based on my boil over and subsequent setting off of every fire alarm in the house at a late hour I probably won't be brewing again soon. Hopefully these turn out well...
  35. broodog

broodog Savant (315) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

I got one of the 500 Dundalk Irish Heavy extract kits from Northern Brewer. Fermented for 2 weeks in primary, 2 in secondary. Carbonated in the keg. Brought it to my Fantasy Baseball draft last week. It's quite good!

Recipe is below, in case anyone wants to make it. It was a 1 time release from NB.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1685151
  36. Hmm...just kicked a keg of delicious saison, which is sad. In the last 3 days, kegged up a kolsch and a rye ale. Can't wait for them to carb up. Should be about ready, which is happy.
    BILF likes this.
  37. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (315) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

West Coast IPA clone..... mmmm
  38. randal

randal Savant (295) Texas Apr 21, 2004

13 years of brewing, my finally ultimately perfected house hefeweizen - come to think of it I need to brew another batch soon!

[​IMG]
    drye_hopped, azorie, gotweid and 10 others like this.
  39. Does anyone do official BA style reviews of theirs?

Here's my review of my first homebrew batch:

Standard recipe Belgian Dubbel
    13 days after bottling :

Appearance – 3.75 -Half finger head quickly fades down to paper thin, which remains. Lacey down the glass, but not too much. Extremely dark brown color, dark blood red around edges.

Smell – 3.5 –Alcohol, dark fruit, malty sweet.

Taste – 3.25 – Faint dark fruit, alcohol, a little flat on taste (too “clean”? –might be a result of Belgian yeast being dead, and standard yeast doing the work), Malty sweetness. The hops bitterness is in the back providing a very good balance. – As the beer warms, alcoholic dried dates become more pronounced.

Mouthfeel – 3.5 - Good carbonation, need a touch more, which should come with a little more time. But the light amount of carbonation fits this style. Thick mouthfeel, slightly cloying, a little sticky on the lips.

Overall –3.5 -Very good for a first brew! I am happy with it. Definitely something I can enjoy drinking on a regular basis. Good balance, and hopefully the alcoholic taste subsides and turns into more complex malty sweet/dried dark fruit flavors with time. –Very possible according to several experts!
    Can’t wait to do another review in a month or so.

(It has been over almost 2 weeks since this review and the alcoholic taste and head retention has definitely improved!)
    AlCaponeJunior and BILF like this.
  40. A couple of nice session brews. An Oatmeal Pale Ale w/ Amarillo & Centennial. And a New Zealand style pale ale with Columbus, Nelson Sauvin & Motueka among others.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.