What Hop variety did you experience recently in a beer for the first time..

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Daktah

Daktah Savant (300) Illinois Apr 13, 2011

Another mention for Galaxy - had it in Flat 12's Walkabout Pale Ale. Delicious flavor from that hop, though I wish that particular beer had a little better balance - almost too fruity.

2. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Sorachi Ace hops are nice. I like that lemony note. I really enjoy the strawberry and melon notes that come from Mosaic, too.

On the other end of the spectrum, Summit hops make me want to blow myself away.

sergeantstogie likes this.
  3. Belma, you could buy a lb from Hops Direct for something like $6 last fall.
    A guy in my homebrew club brewed a Pale Ale with them, it tasted like it was brewed with Strawberrys. Interesting and subtle hop.

4. MDDMD

MDDMD Advocate (555) Pennsylvania Jun 4, 2011

Also recently tried Mosaic hopped pale ale and it was fantastic! Hope to see more brewer's using this varietal.

5. Mosaic--actually dry hopped an IPA with it yesterday--its fantastic!

6. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Maybe it was the first time you had a beer with 'Crystal' in the name, but I doubt it was the first time you had a beer with Crystal hops in it.

7. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

JP Bam Biere is 100% Crystal hopped. Rogue's Brutal Bitter IPA is mostly Crystal. Sierra Nevada uses it in Torpedo and probably Celebration too.

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Just had mosaic for the first time two nights ago, it pairs well with citra.

9. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (645) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

I really enjoyed the Mosaic hop in the Pompeii and Sosus beers from Toppling Goliath. My local brewery (Dragoon) makes an IPA with Zythos and I love that beer. They also have been using Calypso hops both in a Pale Ale and Double IPA as of late.

10. I didn't care for Triskel either, it kinda tasted like a strange version of Nelson Sauvin to me.

11. Celebration is Chinook, Centennial, and Cascade.

jlpred55 likes this.
  12. Had the beer that was dry hopped in the Firkin with the hop formally known as Victoria Secret. Compared it to the base house Pale Ale. The dry hopped version had a big dose of resin, tropical fruit like mango and passion fruit (not overpowering), and some nutty flavors like lychee. Halfway through the pint I picked up a spicy/peppery note. Interesting hop, and would like to try a single hop beer with this one.

13. Galaxy-Clown shoes galactica
    Mosaic-Terrapin Mosaic

Both awesome

14. EdH

EdH Aficionado (230) Utah Jul 27, 2005

Epic has been using Mosaic quite a bit lately; and the 1210 hops in a pale ale. All good stuff...

15. Galaxy, just had prairie funky galaxy. Clown shoes galactica is on order and I am pumpt

16. basscram

basscram Savant (365) Florida Mar 29, 2006

galaxy. it was totally different for me. totally different taste than what I'm used to.

17. Sounds good! Resin like pine or resin like weed?

Which maybe this deserves its own thread but there needs to be a hop reference that's actually worth a shit. The BYO one is..barely ok. Too many hop varietals have descriptors such as "spicy" or "fine". WTF does that mean? Surprised the AHA doesn't have a better resource. Guess I'll head over there and start the thread there.

18. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Honestly, I rarely even look to see what kind of hops are used in a brew. Heck, the only one that I really know for sure that I enjoy regularly is simcoe.

19. Dr. Bam forth has said the same thing, as wine has a more specific vocabulary, while beer is so general it says little.

Resin like weed was what I picked up, similar to Columbus.

20. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I had a Mosaic single hop IPA last week, and didn't care for it to be honest, could be the brewer, it was a brew pub, or could be that's it's a twin to Simcoe. A little dank, kinda catty like Simcoe, too much of one thing at least from that brew. A guy I works with used Moasic as part of a blend of hops in his IPA, which also includes Citra as a dry hop, and I believe he also used Warrior. His last batch tasted like a Sucks clone.

21. Mosaic was first called "Son of Simcoe" by some, though that should be daughter as all the hop flowers come from female plants. Mosaic is a cross of Simcoe and Nugget IIRC. I haven't gotten the cat pee, but still have to use the 2012 crop in a homebrew.

22. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (310) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

I just had Fleur de Houblon from Ommegang featuring Bravo hops. If I've had these before I wasn't aware of it. I was shocked at the flavors it was dishing out while still keeping a fairly clean finish with very little bitterness to the aftertaste. It was a very refreshing ale and wonderful for summer.

23. Mosaic checking in. Yum.

24. They didn't blow me away, but I have had a few beers recently with Helga hops. I believe that is a new varietal.

25. jfh

jfh Aficionado (210) California Apr 25, 2008

Me too. Beerfest in Davis, CA; tried a Berryessa Brewing Ale. Can't remember the name, maybe Footpath? Single hopped with Mosaic, Chris did a great job.

26. jfh

jfh Aficionado (210) California Apr 25, 2008

great topic!
    I'm sure that other places/brewers do these things, but ....
    in my case, the San Francisco Beer Week has been great for learning. At the Press Club in downtown SF:
    In 2013, Mikkeller brought in 6 beers, identical recipe, different yeasts: American Pale, British Pale, lager, ?, Brett lambicus and Brett bruxellensis. They were all easily different and identifiable. Love the lambicus!

In 2012, again, Mikkeller, 9 or 12 different single hops in identical recipe ales. have the list at home.

Providence likes this.
  27. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (745) California Dec 15, 2012

My favorite IPA is Alpine Nelson. It has this unique taste like no other. It's a rye IPA, so I'm not sure if it's the rye, nelson sauvin hops from New Zealand, or the combination of the two that's producing this unique flavor profile I like so much.

28. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I am no hop nut but the newest one I had was NZ Motueka, very interesting favor profile.

29. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

An all Amarillo hopped beer In Chasin Freshies . Better in a blend kinda hop

30. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

i came in here to say the same - just had the crooked stave vieille dry-hopped with Motueka (at least it's my first known interaction with this hop). probably not the best beer to really focus on the hop profile with, though, so i can't say too much about it other than it worked reasonably well with a tart, slightly funky saison.

azorie likes this.
  31. charlzm

charlzm Champion (800) California Sep 3, 2007

spicoli00 likes this.
  32. spicoli00

spicoli00 Champion (760) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

33. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Nelson Sauvin. They taste like wine grapes or goosberry. =)

34. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (745) California Dec 15, 2012

Have you had Alpine Nelson? It's my favorite IPA brewed with Nelson Sauvin hops from New Zealand. It's hard to describe this beer.

utopiajane likes this.
  35. ebin6

ebin6 Aficionado (205) California Jun 11, 2009

Galaxy via Prairie. Quite impressed I must say, but that may just have been the awesomeness of Prairie

36. ebin6

ebin6 Aficionado (205) California Jun 11, 2009

And I'd add 'Merica by Prairie to that list, though not an IPA

37. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

That's the one I had. It had a a perfect nose, lightly fruity, sweetly floral and an earthy little musk (must?) on white grapes.

mrcraft likes this.
  38. I had Nelson and struggled to finish it. The white grape thing for me was an association with really bad white wines, "foxy" if you know that term for wine.

Some people hate fuggles as they say those taste like dirt. My wife hates simcoe as it smells like cat piss to her, I get pine. A friend last night said he does not like Cascade as he gets skunk from it. We are all different.

mrcraft likes this.