1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What hops grow successfully in WI?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by InVinoVeritas, Mar 24, 2013.

1. So I'm considering starting to home brew. Along with home brewing, I'm also considering growing my own hops. I know it sounds like a big plunge, however I love to cook, clearly being here love craft and I have also helped friends brew; only holdup from getting going sooner is buy in from my wife, which I nearly have. So my question at hand, if there is variances in how hops grow region to region, what hops do well growing in Wisconsin?

Thanks,
    Jason
  2. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (415) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

Hi Jason, Where in Wisconsin? I live in Waukegan, IL, and I have a variety of hops that I grow but i can only get 2 to flower: chinook and sterling.
    InVinoVeritas likes this.
  3. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Nugget seems to work well.
  4. Hey Reneejane, I'm in New Berlin. Good to know chinook does well, I happen to really enjoy it!
    Reneejane likes this.
  5. Reneejane

Yeah, Lake Front seems to grow Chinook's too. They're pretty hardy for this area. My noble hops all look pathetic. Even willamette puts out a scant 2 hop flowers every year, I've had them in since '05.

I do suspect my chinooks are lower aa than commercially grown.
  6. I am in lower Michigan, so not too different.

Cascade, Mt. Hood, Chinook and Nugget grow great.

Sterling, Ultra and Centennial do OK.

Get some from the Hallertau and Tett.

Will probably rip out the Goldings and Willamette this year, those grow great but yield=0..
  7. We are going to attempt to grow Cascade and Centennial this year. Near east in Madison. Looks like the hops arrive today (!!!) whoops.
  8. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (545) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

I am on the east side of Madison. I am on my second year for Chinook and Cascade. My buddy has been growing Centennial and Williamette for 3 years now and gets great harvests.

If you can find a spot with 100% sunlight, usually your odds are pretty good.
  9. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

I have Zeus, Cascade, Centennial, Ultra, Golding and Fuggles growing in Janesville. In order of "robust" cone production: Zeus (by a wide margin), Cascade, Ultra, Centennial, Fuggle, Golding. The Fuggle may be a bit handicapped since the Japanese beetles seem to like it best and have damn near stripped it a couple years. I do plan on pulling and relocating or getting rid of all my plants (too hard to maintain living in Chicago) so if anyone wants to trade me (homebrew or some beer for my labor) for a 5 year crown (Golding or Cascade) or just rhizome cuttings depending on pruning goes, just let me know.
  10. Reneejane

that's my experience, too, the japanese beetles mow down the goldings and willamettes. my nuggets do nothing. I don't really do anything though to help them, like fungicides or insecticides. If I were willing to spray fungicides and insecticides, I'm sure my yields would be far better. but, if your'e lazy or desire for a chemical free lawn, chinook is a hardy easy to grow hop.
  11. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I'm growing Chinook and Cascade. Both have done extremely well!
  12. I grow Cascade and Willmette. Both do very well in the NW Burbs of Chicago.