1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is/are your favorite adjunct(s)?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Jan 18, 2013.

?

If you had to choose, which adjunct would you drink from a cooler?

1. Budweiser

12 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Coors

11 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Dos Equis

17 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Labatt Blue

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Miller High Life

20 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. Molson Canadian

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Pabst Blue Ribbon

32 vote(s)
    19.8%
  8. Red Stripe

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. Rolling Rock

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. Other

45 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

...Why the thread title doesn't yield any similar search results is beyond me.

Let's try giving the adjuncts some love. That's a sentence I never thought I'd say or type..

I've been beer talking/texting with a friend who doesn't like beer (...except Bud Light), and it made me think of some adjuncts I've had that I've actually somewhat enjoyed. Labatt, Molson, Pabst, and the stand out, Batch 19, are all adjuncts that I find decent enough to drink a couple of (Or with Batch 19, a beer I may choose over a mediocre craft beer due to its price).

My answer is easy. Batch 19 from Coors. I'm not putting it as an option though, because I don't think it's very popular... yet.

For the poll responses, I'm just putting some adjuncts that I think are most popular, and listing beers that are specifically noted as "American Adjunct Lagers" on BeerAdvocate.
    dhannes likes this.
  2. Other: Narragansett
  3. I like malt liquor on occasion, but I figured that was outside the spirit of the question. So I'll say Bud, specifically Bud Ice (do they make canned Bud Ice tho'?).
    DaKur likes this.
  4. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Stillwater Premium is a tasty adjunct brew.
  5. I voted Budwiser because in NJ it's a local.
  6. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Wheat, followed by rye. Oh we're talkin AALs. In that case Schlitz by a longshot.
  7. This.
  8. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Either No. 2 or No. 3 invert sugar. Though they aren't really adjuncts, but malt substitutes.
  9. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Other: Narragansett
    davey101 likes this.
  10. It appears that Molson Canadian is only popular with me so far, LOL. I would only choose this because it was my younger bros beer of choice for so many years I have become used to opening a cooler and finding a can/bottle.
  11. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Nope it got my vote as well. Though honestly it's a tie w/Pabst, because if they are in the same cooler I know I'd have one @ least if not alternate.
    jhartley likes this.
  12. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Does American Malt Liquor count being that it has corn and rice? If so, I like Private Stock, Molson XXX and Natty Daddy.

If just limited strictly to AALs I pick Schlitz Gusto and Narragansett Lager.

Not too long ago I had a Budweiser, it actually wasn't bad but then again I was completely hammered when I drank it.
  13. I voted Coors. Coors Light serves an important, albiet very specific role for me. Shot-gunning at sporting event and concert tailgates.

I also don't mind Labatt's. If been the 'best' option for me in certain circumstances and its not to bad. In terms of mass produced beers, I love Yuengling, and drink it fairly often when Im in the mood for something light. But I dont think its considered an AAL. If it is, it gets my vote in a landslide.
  14. The OP asked for "favorite adjunct" only - and, one supposes based on his list, he meant "(beer brewed with) adjunct(s)", in which case all of the Yuengling portfolio qualifies, since all use corn grits.

Though it might have been more interesting (and less repetitive a topic) if the subject line was taken literally:
    • Corn
    • Rice
    • Wheat
    • Oats
    • Sugar
    • Corn Syrup
    • Sorghum
    • Soybeans
    • Pumpkin
    • Other (please list) ___________
  15. always drink a Budweiser from time to time ,also like Coors Batch 19
  16. Oats
  17. But, so's Rolling Rock these days... although they still haven't changed the rear label to read:

"Rolling Rock - From the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe Newark,
    across Rt. 1 from the airport, we tender this premium beer for
    your enjoyment as a tribute to your good taste.
    It comes from the mountain springs Charlotteburg Reservoir in North Jersey

18. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I have to have to Bluemoon, Its got corn in it. I hear...works for me.;) plus I seen it for as low as $12 a 12 pack! woohoo... my go to non homebrew beer.
  19. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I would of course say Other: Genesee Cream Ale, but do you happen to know for sure if it is brewed using corn? I see clone recipes and they pretty much all have maize
  20. Where's "none of the above"?
    Lantern likes this.
  21. According to a former Genesee brewmaster (and, IIRC, the son of the creator of the beer), GCA originated as a blend of their lager and their then main ale, 12 Horse* and since their lager, at least, was brewed with corn grits, it's safe to say that is also the case with their Cream Ale.

(* Obviously no longer the case anymore, given CA's 5.2% ABV, the beer's 4.5% and 12 Horse's current 5.1%. I supposed some variations with high gravity blending/dilution could be a factor but Genesee's always been pretty vague about the current recipe for Cream Ale and one would suspect the old "blending" method was dropped, especially since the oriignal ale wasn't marketed for many years.).

Umm....OK. ;) (Unless I'm missing the joke somewhere...):

22. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Thanks for the knowledge and yes I know maize = corn, my assumption was that creamers = corn. What I tried not to base my assumption on was some clone recipe that uses corn.
  23. Alextricity

Gotta love that some people are incapable of reading the first post.
  24. Oh, sorry - I thought you meant the actually clone recipes stated "maize". I don't follow (or trust) clone/homebrewing recipes but I'd have thought if they're using corn as an adjunct they'd specify in what form (sugar, syrup, grits, flakes, starch, etc).

Genesee has always been vague about Cream Ale's recipe (not helped by the fact that the company's changed hands, what 4 times now, since the original Wehle family ownership threw in the towel over a decade ago). They don't even acknowledge the fact that they brewed a more traditional "cream ale" back in the 40's and 50's, that they originally released in the late '40's as Genesee Light Ale, adding the "Cream Ale" terminology later (see below, the late 40's label design):

[​IMG]

The current Cream Ale, as noted, was developed in the early 1960's, by blending 12 Horse and the Genesee Beer - as revealed by the son (also an ex-Genesee brewer) of the creator, Clarence Geminn, in this column-
    http://www.joesixpack.net/columnArchives/2009/061209.htm

But the 12 Horse Ale's recipe has changed frequently in the past decades and wasn't even available commercially for many years until recently, so it's doubtful that they still make it by blending the two beers.
  25. They are taking exception to misuse of "adjunct". "Adjunct lager" is the term you were looking for.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjuncts
  26. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Generally I've found that when many people misread what I intended in my writing, its because of my writing not because they are at fault.
  27. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

Just arrived in Wisconsin...will have to give it a try this summer.

I used to really enjoy Blatz, especially in bottles, but the cans I got recently were not that good...Hamm's is a good option...and at $10.99 for a case, not a bad buy.
  28. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I'll say Tusker Premium Lager from Kenya; I've had it a few times while dining at Ethiopian restaurants.
  29. Alextricity

It says "American Adjunct Lager" right in the first post.

My bet is that about half of the people that voted "Other." had beers that aren't even said to be of the style according to BA.
  30. LostHighway

LostHighway Savant (330) Maine Jan 29, 2007

I really don't like any of them but I'd take Narragansett, Schlitz Gusto or Grain Belt over those listed.

If we can include beers that use corn and/or rice but aren't lagers I'm going with Stillwater Premium.
  31. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Grab a 'gansett...
    Droogins likes this.
  32. 'Other' for Yuengling- I've had some experiences with it when it was the perfect beer for the time and place, and it is the one I'll get for guests at parties (meaning I won't mind if there are leftovers).

On the import front, I could go for an Efes every now and then.
    drtth likes this.
  33. When its hot out I have been know to enjoy a few Dos Equis Lagers
    Profchaos20 likes this.
  34. Yes it does. You also misused adjunct 5 times if you include the title.
  35. farts

farts Aficionado (130) Illinois Sep 9, 2009

Old Style.
  36. Alextricity

Which is why I clarified by saying AAL in the last line of my first post. Still, some people undoubtedly voted "Other" thinking "None of the above" or a beer that's not one.
  37. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

+1
  38. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

PBR

/hipster

Although I do enjoy a Rolling Rock from time to time.
    Gregfalone likes this.
  39. Labatt Blue because hockey.