1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is the beer that could finally put us on the map (Texas)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BruceBruce, Jan 10, 2013.

1. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Come to Houston and go into specs looking for a good BBA Stout. Anything local is sold out before it hits the shelf. The only other stuff that I think of on the shelf is BBA Dogfather which is awful.

Almost all BBA beer in Texas is kegged.

Jester King barrel ages, but pretty much just sours. Obviously Whiskey Rodeo, but that was so super limited it hardly counts.

I hope we get bigger programs going with our breweries for barrels. Some companies that have been out there for less time have way bigger barrel programs. See Firestone Walker and Founders for examples. I think that even though some breweries have been around for a good while, the state had such a small amount of breweries that they didn't do some of these things. As the industries grows, I hope it does things to create new and even greater beer.

2. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

In my opinion, if the Lost Gold is really fresh is is amazing. Falls off fast though. Just had a week old one last week and it was SO good.

andys_war_hall and Krumb like this.
  3. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Less time then who? Its expensive and risky to start a barrel aging program which is why most breweries do not do it or do it in small quantities. Founders is also a very large brewery. In fact most breweries that produce a barrel aged beer do so in small quantities and generally release them on the premises. Even if you moved outside of Texas you would be hard pressed to find "quality" BA stouts sitting on the shelves.

4. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

DIPA - Southern Star, Freetail, SABC
    IPA - Independence, (512), DEBC
    BA Stouts - SABC, JK
    Berliner - Freetail, JK
    Saison - JK, ElkSherpa's tasty treats
    Hefe - Live Oak, Karbach
    Winter Warmer - Peticolas, Rahr
    Barleywine - Live Oak, Rahr
    Vienna - Community has a gold medal winner recipe
    Smoked - Ranger Creek
    Tripel - Real Ale

Give our great brewers credit...name a style and between the lot they are producing numerous examples of top notch stuff. OK maybe lambic style beers and guezes aren't being done....yet. I'm sure the smart ones of the group can rattle off a number of other popular styles not really represented by TX brewers but you get the idea.

Map meet Texas. Texas consume Map.

mattisloco likes this.
  5. LarryK

LarryK Aficionado (245) New York Jul 13, 2012

I think that's what happened for me. I bought a sixer at Spec's Midtown at Thanksgiving and the enjoy by date was sometime in April. It must've just hit the shelves.

6. DanzBorin

Founders started in 1997. Their facility is on par with Saint Arnold (1994). I do admit they are expanding. I think most of the pressure to get bigger is the bigger craft beer scene there. I think as TX scene grows, our breweries will too.

7. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Awesome. It's another steamy episode of "Why Doesn't My Beer Trade for Walez?".

8. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (515) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Luckily I just popped some popcorn.

9. miikezombie

Totally.

In all seriousness, Texas beer arrived a long time ago. We haven't produced anything ├╝ber hyped, but so what. I have never had trouble landing any beer I have ever wanted.

Ford likes this.
  10. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

That is kind of a dumb assumption, was more what brewery/beer is going to come out that is consistently in bottles and world class. This was more that I think Hellfighter is going to be high but not high enough to be great and that Texas reviewers are harder on Texas beers

11. BruceBruce

I have gotten to try all the beers I have wanted to off of texas beers and good ba guys not looking to get a whale for anything. Just wondering why a 80 something rated JK is more sought after then say Pumpkinator or Endevour

12. miikezombie

I don't think Texas reviewers are harder on Tx beer. My comment stems from people bringing up "trade value", which I just find silly. I do agree that most of our "world class" beers are tap only.

13. miikezombie

Trust me I don't get that either.

Ford likes this.
  14. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

JK is a hype machine. From the bottle and availability they create, to their persona on here, and the pressers they post here. Not saying that is good or bad, they just know how to market and hype their beers like nobody else in Texas and people here eat it up. On the Southwest forum and the main forum.

air likes this.
  15. BruceBruce

I will say it is really cool how often jeff post on here, Aaron and some others from St. Arnolds do but JK really does know how to market

16. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Wow, and here I thought it was awesome Jeff shared info and interacted with his customers on a regular basis, and now I find out it's all part of a highly-tuned HYP-MASHEEN.

Damn.

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  17. air

air Savant (360) Texas Mar 28, 2007

Overall agree with these examples, but DEBC makes the most inconsistent IPA - had it five times, twice before they went commercial, and it's been completely different each time. Lost Gold and Fire Eagle are way better picks.

18. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I think a large part of this is the relative ease with which those bottles are obtained across Texas (and thats a great thing for being into craft beer in Texas if not a great thing for the small group of us actively trading). A BA in another market only needs an existing relationship with someone in most any part of Texas to obtain those beers and many BA's already have that relationship going. Whereas with Karbach you need to know someone in Houston and Jester King you need to find someone willing to jump through hoops.

Another perspective is style based, one that has been discussed before, the more rare the style or the more experimental the beer, the lower the score needed for people's attention to perk up. A 4.3 DIPA might not create a buzz but a 4.3 saison or berliner is all the rage (look at DFH 90 and Southampton Berliner for a comparison)

19. champ103

Hey, Austin Beer Works are on here, so are the Saint Arnold and Freetail guys. I am not saying it is bad, they just work this site more than the others, which creates more hype. Especially when every post seems like a mini presser, and they know how to push all the right buzz words. House yeast, sour, funk, organic, artisanal.

20. DanzBorin

This is extremely true.

Shelf beers aren't as sought after as limited/brewery releases for the most part.

21. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Jester King is sought after cause they make great fucking beer. And right now Sour is the new black.

And I'm not the most experienced trader, but something else to consider is to develop steady trading partners. Or if you have relatives in another state, have them send it to you. Then you get your top wants and you get to keep your Texas beer. And I think Jeff keeps us more informed about their beers. Whether you want to call it marketing or whatever, JK facts are rarely disputed because Jeff chimes in. Imagine if someone from BEK or Deschutes was on here so we wouldn't have to hear 80 different stories about Abyss coming or not coming to TX.

22. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

"work the site" ? I have always thought from reading their postings on the site as well as chatting with them at the brewery that they were really happy and proud to be making beer. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I wish more brewers were as open to talk to as Jester King is.
    Don't stop working the site Jeff!
    Cheers

23. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Hype = BA's saying "my beer guy says xxxx will be out next week"
    Marketing = JK giving "press releases" on this forum. Smart tool of modern marketing not costing JK an extra dime.

As far as Tx being on the map, I like to think we are in stealth mode. We might not be on the national radar but we have solid world class brews.

Texas_Speed and jl28r1 like this.
  24. starkmarvelo

I do have one complaint...we need Wake n Bake...like now. Seriously :-|

pwsoldier and JohnBender like this.
  25. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

I just hate it when I try to buy Endeavor and see that it was bottled a month ago :|

26. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Be a boss and get a case shipped to you. When I want a beer, that's all I do ;)

27. starkmarvelo

From the brewery?

28. Rahr Barrel Aged Winter Warmer

29. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Knowing people that aren't scared to ship heavy boxes lawl

30. starkmarvelo

Haha! Gotcha, I'm one of those people :)

31. lindsey624

lindsey624 Aficionado (125) Texas Feb 14, 2009

Hype= JK announcing on free marketing that a berliner weiss will be out by the end of summer. Shows up next summer.

Goes both ways

air and pwsoldier like this.
  32. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (400) Texas Jun 28, 2010

We didn't know what the fuck we were doing and still struggle making stainless steel fermented sour beers, which is a method of sour beer making we've now most likely given up on.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King

33. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

I kind of thought Black Metal was the beer that put us on the map.

34. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I give you an A for effort, though I'll admit that the wait was frustrating as hell. And at least you have the nads to admit that it was a struggle for you.

To be fair to Champ103, he never said that JK's involvement on this forum is a bad thing, just that their level of interaction helps fuel the hype behind their beers, especially the special releases. I think that's more the nature of this forum though rather than an intentional marketing ploy on Jeff's part.

35. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (360) Texas May 17, 2012

I think most if not all of us would agree that Jeff and Jester King's involvement on this forum is a GREAT thing! It's always nice to talk to and learn new things from brewers.

BruceBruce likes this.
  36. icetrauma

Pumpkinator did a good job as well.

37. icetrauma

Pumpkinator did a good job as well.

UHCougar12 likes this.
  38. starkmarvelo

It's "world class" now ;-)

39. champ103

When did I say there was anything wrong with that? All I said was they their presents here is unlike any other breweries presents on this site. That in and of itself adds to their hype on Beer Advocate.

pwsoldier likes this.
  40. Alabama gets Southern Star as well