1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What is the beer that could finally put us on the map (Texas)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BruceBruce, Jan 10, 2013.

1. turfy

turfy Savant (385) Texas Mar 17, 2010

Egg ...zactly!

2. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Heh, I remember when Tomme Arthur made a guest appearance in the main forum. Talk about a shitstorm.

I agree with you 100%. Brewery participation on this site is very welcome and appreciated and it's ultimately good for the beer community as a whole, but it definitely provides potential for a few cars to be added to the hype train as well.

chaseabeer and champ103 like this.
  3. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

At least someone has reading comprehension;) (even if some, me, have no grammar skills)

4. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

You also have to consider the fact that MI has had a more established craft beer scene for longer then TX. Which is why it was easier for those breweries to invest in barrel aging. The demand was there whereas it has just been getting started in TX.

5. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (230) Texas Dec 22, 2011

If you make the Rare Beer Tasting at GABF, I'd say you're on the map.

Additionally, 512 DPP, Freetail sours, SA Pumpkinator have all created buzz at GABF.

You don't have to have the lineups of CO, MI, OR, or CA to be on the map.

6. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (390) Texas Jan 20, 2010

All I'm reading so far is I need to go to New Orleans and buy a bunch of cantillon.

FUNKPhD, r0nburgundy69 and BruceBruce like this.
  7. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (390) Texas Jan 20, 2010

Meaning no Berliner weisse?

8. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

I'll give you some cash, pick me up some shelf aged goodness as well.

9. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I'm so grateful for what your experiments into styles and tastes leads to. I'm sure for every release, you all must have dozens of attempts at new and evolving beers that don't meet your standards. It's been great to be in the fledgling years of my craft experience having an accessible local brewer committed to expanding our horizons a bit and producing something fun. I know a great number of BA's and craft lovers who have been thankful for a similar experience across the US.

Not to single out one many, but come on guys we are lucky...just like the West Coast guys have the Abbey folks attending shares we are very lucky to have active member/brewers in our midst.

Unmentioned in this thread is the dopeness coming out of Tejas' hat, AKA Oklahoma. Prairie Ales is going to rock the craft world and us North Texans are going to be be so fortunate with yet another in a growing line of excellent local craft brewers

10. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (440) Texas Jun 28, 2010

We'll still make Bonnie the Rare, it's just likely to be a barrel aged Berliner Weisse going forward.

- Jeff

11. starkmarvelo

...with fruit, eh?

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  12. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

That's exactly what I said a couple of times.

13. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

Live Oak Hefe

FUNKPhD, r0nburgundy69 and champ103 like this.
  14. Ford

Ford Savant (490) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I just had Real Ale Devil's Backbone Tripel again... that's a great beer.. stands up to beers from all over the USA in my opinion.

champ103 likes this.
  15. Hah! Tripels are terrible, you can't trade them for anything rare!

16. Ford

Which is ok, because I don't trade..:D

17. starkmarvelo

Right on the money.

drummermattie02 likes this.
  18. mindswoop

It's good, but not great. Tripels aren't a popular enough style to be likely to put anyone on the map. I think the 512 Three is much better than DB anyway.

19. Ford

Haven't had the 512, but now I want to try it.. but I disagree. I think RADB is pretty great... though I don't care if Texas is ever on the map for craft beer.. we know what we have here..and there are plenty of us here to drink it!

Texas_Speed and champ103 like this.
  20. champ103

Agree with Ford. If you want to try 512 3, Cottonwood has it on tap right now. I don't know which one I like better, 3 or DB. Both excellent.

21. mindswoop

I'm content with what we have, just don't think a tripel is going to put Texas "on the map" unless the Belgians claim it the greatest themselves.

22. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

For what it's worth, Jester King is the Texas brewery whose name I notice most often in the daily Beerpulse email and other beer news feeds. That, together with the fact they bottle (too many TX - especially Austin - breweries don't which makes distribution and trading - and therefore exposure - less likely), they have some very cool labels (thanks Josh) which give them a strong identity (sorry for the corporate speak), they've already dipped their toe in the waters of collaboration, they have a vision and a purpose (farmhouse brewing), plus sour is currently the new black, all has me looking in their direction.

The number of breweries who don't bottle, or only bottle a handful of limited releases, is a big factor here. It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread and plenty of times in others - Live Oak Hefeweizen. I reckon we all wish Chip would build that new brewery and start bottling or canning.

Ultimately though, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter. If it happens it happens. The breweries we've got in Texas right now are kind of like the bands that you go to see at a small club and who not many people know about. You love them and what they do and you think how great it'd be for them to break, but you kinda don't want that to happen because then you'll have to mortgage your house to get a ticket whenever they tour and you won't get to hang out with them at the bar after a gig. Make what you will of that analogy - I kinda stole it from John Peel.

23. champ103

I couldn't care less about trade value. Both are great beers, maybe some of the best American made tripel's, made by Texas breweries.

Larry Slezak and Thomas Helton are two of the best musicians that I have ever heard, both live in Houston. They aren't going to put Houston or Texas jazz on the map. Doesn't make them any less impressive.

Texas_Speed likes this.
  24. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

No Texas Tripel can even stand in the same building as a Belgian Tripel.

When every state can get something like Westmalle, who is really gonna care?

25. starkmarvelo

I do agree that Texas should bottle more. But I'm sure that's on the way.

26. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (440) Texas Jun 28, 2010

Sorry for the overreaction. I got a little bent out of shape by the implication that the lag time between the Bonnie the Rare announcement and release was a conscious decision on our part to drive hype. We anticipated Bonnie being released a lot sooner than it was. Actually, I'm not even sure there was an implication that we were just trying to drive hype, so I apologize if that wasn't the case.

Jeff

27. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

I bet they said something similar about American Hefe's.

Beer is made with relatively few ingredients hopefully under replicable conditions. If the recipe is good, the location doesn't matter much. (Obviously some styles and recipes rely on local flora and fauna and could not be replicated elsewhere).

champ103 likes this.
  28. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (390) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I think a lot of it depends on the yeast(for German and Belgian styles). Of course assuming they can keep all the basics under control. I'd like to see more brewers seek out older overseas yeast strains. Obviously they're good brewers, but I think the yeast is what really helps brewers like westy, Schneider, chimay, etc...

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  29. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (390) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I'd say no harm no foul. We know you're a bunch of passionate bastards when it comes to beer. That passion is what's bringing some really good beers to us. Especially for a style that's really untapped in Texas.

I'd really like to see another Berliner weisse from jester king.

icetrauma and H0rnedFr0gs like this.