1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

What is the best 'beer shop' in Texas? and then america?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by kaidasz, Dec 28, 2012.

1. LittleDon

LittleDon Member

Central Market Westgate and Specs Brodie are my favorite local places. Neither can be considered a bottle shop. Whip-In is a great place for a draft, but unlike the other two places, there's no one on the shop floor dedicated to helping with beer purchases.

The best beer shops I've been to in Portland and Seattle also serve beer: Belmont Station (via the Biercafe), BeerMongers, and Bottleworks.

The Best Damn Beer Shop in San Diego is another great shop. They're part of a convenience store.
  2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Member

I love going to Binny's in Lincoln Park across the street from GI is a beer wonderland. I'm sure there are better bottle shops in the US, but I've never found it.

Vintage Estate Wine and Beer in Boardman, OH was pretty good too.
    champ103 likes this.
  3. jwall

jwall Member

I prefer The Beer Junction in West Seattle to Bottleworks. Same, if not better, selection. Bigger space with more light - you can actually see the beer in the coolers. Nicer staff that is much more helpful. More beers on tap. Check it out next time, if you haven't before.
  4. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Member

If you want a beer-focused shop, I think D&Q wins hands down, at least in Houston. Yeah, Brandon's prices are a little higher than Spec's, but you gotta support the independent guy and you're going to have a better relationship with him than the people at Spec's. Plus, a lot of times he gets things in before anyone else in Houston.

Premium Draught is good too but they don't have the space to stock everything D&Q has.
    mattchow and Ford like this.
  5. galvetraz

galvetraz Member

Finally made it over to Premium Draught the other day, certainly not the selection size of D&Q but a good variety and everything is available as singles. The focus is on the taps, about a dozen or so it seemed with good selection of local and regional. They also have a good selection of glassware and random beer themed gifts. Definitely worth the trip to the Heights.
  6. Daemose

Daemose Member

Nobi public house.
  7. icetrauma

icetrauma Member

I wouldn't classify it as a beer shop. It's a restaurant/pub that does growler fills.
  8. air

air Member

Best bottle shop I've been to is a tough choice... City Beer Store in San Francisco (amazing US craft focus) and West Lakeview in Chicago (they have nearly everything), also Appalachian Vintner in Asheville and Best Damn Beer Shop in SD.

As far as Texas? D&Q- which only gets a slight edge over Hall's or Lone Star in DFW because of growlers.

E: unless they don't anymore... then in that case, Hall's is a no brainer.
    AppalachianVntnr likes this.
  9. lbour

lbour Member

Austin's been well covered but for various regions: West Lakeview Liquors and Binny's Lincoln Park in Chicago, Stein's Deli in New Orleans, Holiday Wine Cellar in San Marcos, CA, and John's Market in Portland are all exceptional.