1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What is the best OHIO IPA?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Matthew1788, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Savant (440) Ohio Feb 23, 2013

White Rajah is my choice. Just wondering everyone else's opinion.

2. miketd

miketd Advocate (520) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Typically I would say Head Hunter, but I am currently drinking my 4th growler of IBUsive and I think this may be better. If we are taking IIPAs into account, Hop Juju would get consideration.

mcrago, Blackwing17 and fiver29 like this.
  3. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Bodhi.

With Rajah a close 2nd.

jminch and MrRockstar like this.
  4. cg123

cg123 Aficionado (180) Ohio Feb 27, 2012

Buckeye Amarillo IPA, but that may be nostalgia telling me it was that good. It seems to be quite extinct these days. In production, I would have to say Head Hunter.

miketd likes this.
  5. sweatervest27

sweatervest27 Savant (270) Ohio Oct 13, 2009

my vote is head hunter. White rajah has been inconsistent lately and drops off way too fast. I haven't had IBUsive yet but the reviews are solid.

pschul4 likes this.
  6. miketd

No, it was that good.

7. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (920) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Haven't had White Rajah yet so I'm going with Alchemy Hour.

8. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

IPA-head hunter, white rajah, citramax
    DIPA-bodhi, monster, alchemy

Blackwing17 and CaptCleveland like this.
  9. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (270) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

Head Hunter or Columbus

Lipsntoes likes this.
  10. nrbw23

nrbw23 Advocate (530) Ohio Jul 30, 2007

I really like all of these that have been posted.

11. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (470) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

Alchemy Hour is a DIPA not an IPA as the OP asked with that said White Rajah gets my vote!!

12. screamking

screamking Savant (335) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

White rajah is overrated... But I can't seem to think of a better IPA (that I've had) from Ohio. Im not a huge IPA fan, doubles or imperials are way better in all categories.

13. Single: Head Hunter
    Double: Mandala-Citra

14. miketd

That's a good call. I often forget about Jackie O's

15. M1A2

o_O ....It all makes sense now.

nrbw23 likes this.
  16. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (425) Ohio Sep 18, 2007

I would have said something different a week ago.

IBUsive has to be my favorite Ohio hop beer. I don't care if its IPA. IIPA. Its just awesome.

17. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Savant (340) Ohio Mar 19, 2012

Columbus IPA by a hair to those mentioned. As far as Hop portfolios though, these guys are best in the state hands down (IPA, Bodhi, Creeper, Uncle Rusty, Big Frank...).

Edit: Haven't had IBUsive yet ....and can't wait! Ohio is a damn fine state for hop heads! (especially considering distro)

Bonis likes this.
  18. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Should have started a poll. #fail

19. screamking

Compared to the west coast stuff white rajah is average. Sculpin kills rajah!

canoale likes this.
  20. williamDbar

williamDbar Savant (250) Ohio Jul 5, 2012

21. riemster

riemster Advocate (665) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

Great Lakes Hop Madness (formerly Quitness). Only available in draft.

After that I would say Bodhi and White Rajah.

22. M1A2

Cool story bro, but i believe the thread was "What is the best Ohio IPA" Not west coast or any other coast, But since you threw it out there.....To say WR is average compared to west coast stuff is crazy!! i would put FRESH WR up against any west coast IPA any day.

23. screamking

Don't bro me if you don't know me. More people think sculpin is better hence the better rating. But you are right about this being an Ohio thread. Sorry.

24. screamking

And I also said it was the best IPA I've had from Ohio.

Vonstein15 likes this.
  25. mater

mater Aficionado (230) Ohio Jan 9, 2011

My answer is obvious, but I also love WR and Columbus. I need to buy some Gangster Frog while I know it's still fresh. For someone to say Sculpin crushes WR makes me laugh. Recently four friends and myself did a blind IPA tasting. Beers included were HH, WR, Columbus, Sculpin, Finest Kind, Two-Hearted and Alesmith IPA. WR was ranked 3rd or higher by all of us and the big bad west coast beers never got higher than 4th. For the record I'm not a hater, I'll buy any west coast ipa if I know it's fresh.

M1A2 likes this.
  26. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

For IPAs it has to be either Head Hunter or White Rajah. Double IPAs is Maumee Bay Amarillo Brillo.

27. screamking

Like any IPA freshness matters, maybe the White Rajah I had wasn't so fresh and on its way out. This could be my soul reason for saying its overrated. I don't recall a bottle date on there, is there one?

Anyway seeing as this thread is about Ohio IPA's, and doubles are still IPA's alchemy hour gets my vote.

28. unclejazz

unclejazz Advocate (560) New York Oct 24, 2011

As much as I like to get White Rajah and Head Hunter while I am in town, Columbus IPA is just a hair better to me. I think both WR and HH are a touch overrated, but still delicious. For $9 a sixer, Columbus IPA is a steal and places never seem I run out. On tap, I may have to give the slight edge to White Rajah.

ODYSEYY and Bonis like this.
  29. jampics2

jampics2 Champion (765) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

Anyone saying anything other than IBUsive hasn't had it yet ;)

fiver29 likes this.
  30. sjc83

sjc83 Aficionado (130) Ohio Apr 4, 2013

#1 Head Hunter

#2 Raj

#3 Columbus

BobSacamano12 likes this.
  31. sjc83

sjc83 Aficionado (130) Ohio Apr 4, 2013

Lure Bistro is will have kegs of it towards the end of the month.

32. Bonis

Bonis Savant (440) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Columbus for me is easily the best. My only complaint about CIPA is that sometimes I catch a batch that just isn't that good; however, when it's on, there isn't an IPA I'd rather drink. White Rajah is a great beer, but it doesn't hold up like CIPA. The difference in fresh WR vs month old WR is vast. Let me follow that by saying super fresh WR is as good as it gets. Head Hunter seemed like a solid standard IPA to me. I found it a little more balanced than CIPA and WR, which may be why it is so popular. I like it, but at $10 a 4 pack I will pass it up every time if there is CIPA for $9 a sixer. Plus it isn't as good as CIPA... Again, just my opinion.

So my rankings would be 1. CIPA, 2. WR, 3. Head Hunter

As for DIPAs, gotta be Bodhi then Alchemy Hour (or whatever the hell they are gonna call it).

jminch likes this.
  33. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (815) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

For the "big 3", I'd go White Rajah > Head Hunter > Columbus IPA (all great)

DIPAs I'd go: Bodhi = Alchemy Hour.. Hop JuJu is great too.. TBK Old 21 is underrated..

I agree that IBUsive is special, I just hope that they plan on brewing it alot more and it's not just a one time thing like
    X-Hop..

34. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

This thread is awesome. I'm originally from ohio (Bloomington, IN now) and am glad OH is catching up on awesome beer! We just got headhunter distribution, and i love the stuff (happen to be drinking one now) and visit Colmbus a lot (for Buckeye games) and slam the Columbus IPA... awesome. I need to get a hold of some IBUsive it sounds like, i will try next time i'm up that way...

I haven't had white rajah, though, to they distribute at all? Just ohio or local?

Cheers!

35. BB1313

The Brew Kettle distributes throughout just Ohio at this point.

36. miketd

I was just there and it seems they want to make it a regular offering. From what I was told, they are trying to secure a lot of this hop for future use. Good news!

In regard to another post, I would say Columbus IPA is the most "balanced". It is definitely the maltiest of the three, with HH being the most hop forward and bitter.

To each their own...

Spider889 likes this.
  37. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

cool, thanks for the info. i'll track some down next time i'm there.

Cheers!

38. BB1313

That's good to hear. I know the Mosaic hops are relatively new and I'm not sure how easy they are to obtain, so I put that into consideration. I'm glad they know they have a good thing..

39. This plus Great Lakes Alchemy Hour

40. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (425) Ohio Sep 18, 2007

A reliable source there told me they want to keep it on all the time if they can. And in a year or more from now bottle it if they can.

BB1313 likes this.