1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What is the best OHIO IPA?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Matthew1788, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

I gotta go with Columbus in a close one.

2. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (490) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

I am going to say it has a better rating because Sculpin has a huge distro and White Rajah is only local to Ohio.

3. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (430) Ohio Oct 2, 2009

Man that's a tough one. When White Rajah is 'on' I think it's the best. But there is some inconsistency. I'm going to say Columbus by a nose over Head Hunter.

In any case, I think all three are better than Scupin. Sculpin in my opinion isn't even BP's best IPA

Lipsntoes likes this.
  4. screamking

screamking Savant (335) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

Well, bought a sixer of what I can only guess is mildly fresh White Rajah, the store just got it in. I started reading some of you guys reviews on it and wow, most of you think it's one of the best beers out of there. I'll give it another shot.

5. HopCraverDave

HopCraverDave Aficionado (165) Ohio Feb 20, 2013

IBUsive is the best IPA I have ever had, Ohio or otherwise.

Been through at least 6 growlers and an ton of pints at the brewpup and can't get enough.

fiver29 and miketd like this.
  6. miketd

miketd Advocate (520) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I'm with you and been getting growler after growler. Truly a great beer.

fiver29 likes this.
  7. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Sounds like I need to pick up some growlers for DLD...

ridglens likes this.
  8. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (815) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I feel like I should give a shout out to Hoppin' Frog Gangster Frog IPA.. it's pretty good and definitely in the ballpark with all of the IPAs already mentioned..

9. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (550) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Take a growler of Anastasia ;)

10. Keffa

And for me, the best IPA in Ohio is fresh Columbus. And best double IPA, well, that's Columbus Bodhi. It just is.

MrRockstar likes this.
  11. miketd

I was underwhelmed with Gangster Frog.

12. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (815) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I thought the flavors weren't quite as bold as the aromas, but were still good, imo..

13. miketd

It wasn't bad, but I thought it was a little thin. I could have had a tired palate, too.

14. mater

mater Aficionado (230) Ohio Jan 9, 2011

I'm currently drinking some Gangster Frog and I agree with the above. Big nose, that the taste doesn't quite live up to and a tad thin. It's still a really solid brew and the best IPA HF has made. Though I'd rather pay the same price for Columbus or a buck or two more for HH or WR.

BB1313 likes this.
  15. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (685) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Difficult question to answer so I will say Alchemy Hour, Head Hunter, and BODHI are tied for my favorites. Fresh White Rajah (preferably on tap at TBK) is good but, as stated, has been a bit off lately, possibly due to some loss of quality control with recent increases in batch production. Also in the line-up is IBUsive and Hop JuJu from Fat Heads and Supernova from Willoughby Brewing Company.

16. canoale

canoale Aficionado (175) Ohio Apr 9, 2010

where is the Lake Erie Monster !!!

Columbus $8.99 @6 YOU CAN'T beat that ......

Headhunter also makes OHIO proud

For the arm pit of America ohio is doin' ok beer wise today

still seekin' Bodhi cheers

HOPPIN' FROG raw was good but to me bombers are over priced

One more thing I think we can kick Colorado's #ss

thanks as I see I need to look for this ibusive or something like that ; )

17. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Head Hunter is my choose and George Dickel kills it in the Whisky category,esp the 21 yr old.Cheers

18. Head Hunter followed by White Rajah. Rye of the Tiger is pretty good. Columbus is decent but not on the level of the others.

19. canoale

at $8.99 a 6 what's better buy ??????

20. phidelt649

phidelt649 Disciple (60) Ohio Apr 24, 2012

Thought that only came in four packs?

21. OP asked what was the best IPA, not the best value IPA. Sorry but I'm going for taste. We only get Great Lakes in MI out the beers mentioned and it's $9.99. I'd rather pay $1 more for a better tasting brew

22. canoale

& what would that be so I can persecute you ; )

Cheers

23. canoale

Mich don't have a ipa @ $8.99 @ six ( at least one your gonna brag on ) , I also believe its one of the best .

Balls in your court

Cheers

24. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

Just out of curiosity, where did two hearted fall?

25. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (635) Ohio May 24, 2011

You are not from Ohio and I think one of use needs to send oh a white rajah ASAP!

fredmugs likes this.
  26. fredmugs

fredmugs Poobah (1,035) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Road tripping from Indiana to Vermont end of June. It's on my ToDo list!

27. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Advocate (635) Ohio May 24, 2011

Let me know a week or two in advance, sometimes it's sold out so I can gab a six to make sure u get some!

28. Dirte1096

Dirte1096 Zealot (95) California Oct 20, 2010

Gonna resurrect an old thread here. Ok, I'm from CA but on a business trip to Columbus. This trip I've had the chance to try White Rajah, Black Rajah, and CIPA (drinking one now at the airport). I've also had Chillwave (Alchemy), Gangster Frog, and Head Hunter in the past. In my opinion WR wins hands- down out of the beers I just mentioned. CIPA is a good, middle-of-the-road, very non-offensive IPA but nowhere near elite status within the state. Sorry CIPA fans, but I'd go White Rajah, Head Hunter, Black Rajah, Gangster Frog (this is where the IPAs become good but not great), CIPA, and Chillwave (can't stand Mosaic hops...I know I'm in the minority). The thing is for everyone comparing these OH beers to Sculpin aren't doing CA justice. Tiny brew pubs in CA piss out beers 10x better than Sculpin. Don't get me wrong...it's good, but there are way better CA IPAs than that to use as the standard. If you ever find yourself in San Diego go try Alpine Nelson or Societe Pupil. You'll never even consider Sculpin as the CA IPA standard again.

29. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Savant (440) Ohio Feb 23, 2013

To bad you didn't get to try Hop JuJu, that would of blown your mind. Not being biased to ohio IPA's, that was one of the best beers I have ever had, period.

30. miketd

I agree with you about Columbus IPA... too malty to be on top. Also agree Sculpin shouldn't be California's standard, but it is the best we get from out there, with maybe Alesmith IPA being the exception. But even that one is not the best example anymore. Societe Pupil is great as is Nelson, but few from here will ever have them to compare. I will still put anything from Fat Head's and maybe a good batch of Rajah up against anything I have had from out there, and I have spent several months in SoCal.

31. mtskier

mtskier Savant (305) Illinois Feb 23, 2013

If we got Headhunter in Illinois I would have at least 1 4 pack in my fridge at all times.

Matthew1788 likes this.
  32. Some good Ohio IPAs will be available this weekend at Beer Engine in lakewood for their annual "420 hopfest", including Fat Heads Hop Ju Ju, Jackie O’s Waka Waka, Columbus Creeper & Uncle Rusty, Brew Kettle El Lupulo Libre, and Hoppin Frog Hoppin’ to Heaven.

33. Keffa

Columbus, too malty? *ROFL*

34. miketd

For me, absolutely. But if you think it is a hop bomb, drink up. Don't care if you agree with me or not. LOLZ!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  35. Keffa

I mean, does it have more malt to the backbone of the beer compared to a West Coast style IPA? Sure. But fresh, it's as hoppy as anything out there. No need for the roll eyes, sir.

[​IMG]

FWIW, at that tasting, the bottle of Columbus that was shared was from Chris, who works at Columbus Brewing. I want to say that bottle was 3 days old. I felt it stood up to the other hoppy beers that night, which, if you can't see in the photo, were Heady Topper, Double Daisy Cutter, Pilzilla, and G'knight, plus a growler of Bodhi. The Maharaja didn't count, it was a 2009, and was opened as a joke. But to simply say that Columbus isn't even close, that just makes me wonder what kind of palate you have to say it. I've NEVER been disappointed with CIPA, and I likely never will be. I can't say that with White Rajah or Head Hunter.

36. cg123

cg123 Aficionado (180) Ohio Feb 27, 2012

CIPA is a distant 5th (if not more) compared to HH, WR, Mystic Mamma and Hop Ryot. But for $8.99 it drank perdy good.

miketd likes this.
  37. blankenhoney

blankenhoney Savant (295) Ohio Mar 13, 2014

Head Hunter is my favorite, though I've yet to try Columbus IPA and IBUsive (both of which sound great).

miketd likes this.
  38. miketd

I never said it wasn't a good beer. I just don't like it as much as other Ohio Ipas. It has a fairly big malt profile and I prefer more hop flavor and bitterness. Freshness is also an issue around here.

39. miketd

I said it in another thread, but JAFB/Wooster brewery is doing IPAs(and other beers)on a level with the best in Ohio too.

fiver29 likes this.
  40. Lahey's multi-faceted tiered ratings system -

1.) BODHI

2.) Fathead's (JuJu, IBUsive, Head Hunter)

3.) Brew Kettle (Libre!, Rajah)

4.) Hoppin Frog Gangster Frog / Columbus IPA / Fathead's Trail Head (pale ale, but c'mon!) / Jackie O's Mystic Mommy & Mandala Citra

5.) Great Lakes (Rye, LEM, Chilldouche')

6.) Other Hopping Frog stuff I'm afraid to buy b/c....bottle dates?