1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is the hype about Prairie BOMB! and Pirate Bomb?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by FLenoci, Oct 23, 2013.

1. FLenoci

FLenoci Aficionado (130) New York Nov 26, 2012

Is it worth the trade?

2. Prairie Bomb is very tasty and well put together. I don't think it trades for anything crazy, so it may be worth it for you.

I can't speak to Pirate Bomb but it sounds good.

3. Prairie Bomb is very good, and relatively available. Pirate Bomb is getting a little more trade value. I've got some on the way, but haven't had it yet.

4. prairie bomb was excellent! pirate bomb is more rare considering its an OK only release.

Hdredfern likes this.
  5. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

Neither are. Please quit asking so I will actually find some on the shelf the next time they release some....

6. BOMB! is one of the finest non-brewery only beers you can get in the US in my opinion. I very rarely trade them away because I'd rather be drinking them, but once folks in OK realize what they've got in their backyard blows KBS/BCBS out of the water I think the FT's will diminish but the ISO's will double.

7. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Savant (375) New York Dec 31, 2012

I can't speak for pirate, but regular blows kbs/bcbs out of the water? your a funny guy.

8. I guess, I never got the hype about KBS and BCBS isn't nearly as complex as BOMB! is to my palate. Sure BCBS has wayyyyyy more barrel but I prefer the base beer in BOMB! to BCBS. Different strokes.

9. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Bomb has zero barrel.

I like it, but it's mostly Coffee in Bomb. Latest batch tones down the coffee, but it's still the main thing going on. Because of this I feel it isn't that complex.

krmkrm likes this.
  10. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

I dunno, but I bit. I am trading a couple Pliny for one.

MayorsAssistant likes this.
  11. DanzBorin

For Bomb or Pirate Bomb?

12. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Pirate.

13. DanzBorin

Sounds like a good trade.

Bomb I'd say you overpaid by a few bucks.

14. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Got Bomb! as an extra and now want....more.... Very solid beer!

15. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I have a bomb, had a Mexican Cake, I'm thinking Bomb is a lot closer to MC than BCBS. We'll see though, the chilies is a difference, not sure of the batch mine is a red wax. MC had a nice pepper hit.

16. FLenoci

Is it better than BCBS? IMO I am going to say no, but I have a BOMB that I am going to open up next week.

17. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

These Mexican-style stouts are too different to compare to BCBS.

Huna, Abraxas, Bomb, Mexican Cake, etc. should all be fair game for comparing hype though.

18. nc41

Better is subjective , but the styles are not even close to the same,

Bomb/kbs/bcbs = different.

Duff27 likes this.
  19. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Dunno, but there are a couple of people reaching for Neptune on the front page right now.

Have a Bomb! received as a generous extra recently, looking forward to trying it.

Duff27 likes this.
  20. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Savant (335) New York Aug 23, 2012

At 6k bottles, this has me scratching my head too.

21. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Not really. It smells great but finishes with some char and astringency. Plenty of better options out there.

Padraig likes this.
  22. So that's why you sent me one! Jk of course. I've had it and enjoy it. It's not worth anything crazy though. Can't speak for pirate, but regular is on par with abraxas for me. I slightly prefer Mexican cake and Huna kills them all IMO.

23. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Busted! ;) When I drank it I was expecting Huna, and of course thats why I was a bit bummed.

Speaking of beer trades, I just grabbed some Berserker, so I will send you some at some point soon. After doing the math on those HF growlers you sent me, I need to send you more beer.

Fluteswell likes this.
  24. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Agreed 100%. Bomb did not do it for me AT ALL.

25. nc41

I've yet to pop the Bomb, but it's hard to imagine this style of stout being more complex than bcbs , every time I have one a different nuance hits me . Sometimes chocolate sometimes dark fruits like plum, raisen , and always the Heaven Hill influence.

tronto likes this.
  26. To answer the question in the title: deliciousness

27. FLenoci

Is it worth trading a coffee bcbs for 2 pirate?

28. nc41

I'd say yes, Coffee isn't rare, or hard to get, almost $4$ too. If your curious do it.

I did 1.5 $4$, which is fine, I'm curious, I traded brews I have multiples of. If you like it great, if not you'll never have to wonder again.

29. Lasering

Lasering Savant (375) Florida Mar 19, 2013

I did this trade.

30. FLenoci

Have you tried it lasering?

31. Lasering

Lasering Savant (375) Florida Mar 19, 2013

not yet I'm waiting for a 12oz tasting we are doing next week.

32. nc41

I'd also add the premium asking price will cause a lot of scrutiny, it's it's not up to the trade value asked OK had better enjoy the PB, it won't be worth more than a locals $4$ in the future Such is the risk.

33. FLenoci

let me know what you thoughts are on it when you do?

34. CGMLS3

CGMLS3 Savant (420) Florida Jul 30, 2010

What's the price for Bomb and PB?

35. nc41

I'd guess $8 for PB $10 for Pirate. I'm good on PB, Pitate is a guess

36. FLenoci

wow they should make them in bomber size instead of 12oz

37. nc41

LOL, yea a little pricy and it trades even higher. I'd love to do a MC side by.

38. $10 for Bomb! In Cali. At least that's what I paid for. I got 1 red and 1 blue wax but haven't tried either yet.

39. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

The four folks in my tasting group were all unimpressed with Bomb. No idead why as I usually really dig highly rated, big stouts. It was just a coffee bomb to me, not much complexity. Comparing it to BCBS seems a little silly too as BCBS is a bourbon bomb(but I love it).

40. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I bought a Bomb for $6.99 off the shelf when I was visiting Sacramento. Not sure what Pirate Bomb has been going for, I've seen people on here say $8/bottle, but it seems to be found for higher than $8 at some stores in Oklahoma.