What is the hype about Prairie BOMB! and Pirate Bomb?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by FLenoci, Oct 23, 2013.

1. PoBear

PoBear Aficionado (155) Oklahoma Jan 27, 2009

In Tulsa, MOST liquor stores charged $5-$5.50/bottle for batch 1 (gold wax,) $6-$6.50/bottle for batch 2(or 3?) (blue wax,) and $8-$8.50/bottle for Pirate. There was some gouging on all releases - upwards of $13/bottle. Batch 1, hardly anyone had bottle limits. Batch 2, more had bottle limits. Pirate, everyone had bottle limits. And for me, batch 1 was coffee with a chili chaser, batch 2 was chocolate coffee and Pirate was a decadent dessert - dare I say chocolate rum cake?

2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I got lucky and was able to trade my 2012 Dark Lord for Pirate. Really excited to try it. I'd love to try regular Bomb if someone wants to do a trade for some Surly or other Midwest beers.

wbant20 likes this.
  3. Q: What is the hype about Prairie BOMB?
    A: Its a mighty fine stout!

Q: What is the hype about Pirate Bomb?
    A: I will tell you tonite after i crack a bottle!:D

Any questions?????

UWBadgerFan4Life likes this.
  4. What color is the wax on each bottle? I have a green and silver blueish grey color waxed bottles of pirate bomb. Just curious

5. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

As far as I know there are three colors. Gold (B1), Red (B2) and Blue (B2). They also exist with no wax.

6. Those are the wax colors for prairie bomb. I was asking about Pirate bomb. Must have read you're original post wrong...

7. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I've only heard of one batch. It was that kind of nasty green color.

Is there a second batch?

8. They might have a 2nd batch...IDK for a fact or they might have ran out of the nasty green wax because I have a bottle of sliver blue grayish wax pirate bomb. This is completely based on speculation though.

9. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

My Pirates are green wax.

10. Green Piarate checking in.

11. nc41

Don't know but I might assume the Pirate is pretty limited, so I'd guess they're all Green wax.,

12. PoBear

PoBear Aficionado (155) Oklahoma Jan 27, 2009

Pirate was one batch, OK only, green wax.

The no wax Prairie Bombs were an Arkansas only release (batch 2, I believe) and sold in 4-packs. They have a law that states that beers less than 500ml must be sold in groups of 3 or more. We have some screwy liquor laws in this part of the country...

13. rsths13

rsths13 Aficionado (210) Florida Jun 24, 2013

I got a few in different trades, and I have three different wax colors. Bright green, bluish green, and bluish green with glitter. I thought it was odd as well, but I found a photo on Instagram with those three colors lined up next to each other. So, I can only assume they used different types of green wax.

wbant20 likes this.
  14. who is that in your avatar?

15. Trust me! I have a bottle of Pirate Bomb that has a bluish/silver/gray colored wax on the bottle. I also have Pirate bomb with green wax. I have seen both labels and can distinguish the difference between a Pirate and a Prairie bomb! lol

16. nc41

Maybe they did make separate batches, far from a PB expert obviously. They had 4 different caps for pb, so I suppose different wax for different batches of Pirate wouldn't surprise anyone.

17. Pics or it didnt happen

18. MarcWP

MarcWP Savant (480) Arizona Dec 2, 2012

Personally not a big fan of chili and chocolate infused stouts. Cali Brandy Huna isn't even in my top five though it was the best in that category that I've had.

19. ksurkin

ksurkin Savant (250) Virginia Jan 9, 2009

Pirate has been a bit tough to get, that's for sure. Regular Bomb is outstanding, and I'm certainly glad I have a few more sitting around.

20. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

I opened my bottle of regular Bomb last night and was underwhelmed. It was the red wax batch. Peppers were almost non-existent and the coffee, though it smelled fantastic, tasted almost a little stale.

I'd like to give it another shot, maybe a fresher batch, when it comes around here again, but won't be shelling out what it takes to land a Pirate.

21. wbant20

wbant20 Zealot (85) Oklahoma Feb 18, 2013

I feel I was the lucky one to receive the DL :) Hope you enjoy the Pirate Bomb!

sacrelicio likes this.
  22. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Shared it with friends at a tasting on Saturday and we all loved it. Glad I have another bottle. We also liked the Prairie Standard and had some good laughs with Mmmhops. Enjoy the Dark Lord!

23. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Funny, because I had the gold wax & it was a chile bomb, I almost couldn't taste the base beer because of the pepper assault team taking up positions in stomach. Talking to others who've had it, there is some serious batch variation; glad I had it, but wouldn't seek out another bottle unless there were reports of more consistency (though I suppose the variation *could* have been done on purpose).

24. Phil_H

Phil_H Savant (300) Wisconsin Jun 4, 2013

I liked the regular bomb better than the pirate bomb.

25. I just had Pirate bomb tonite and I would say that they are both awesome, but Pirate bomb just barely edges out Prairie bomb. I wish that Pirate bomb had a touch more rum in the flavor. It was still awesome and the barrel aging made the already awesome mouthfeel even better!

26. There it is! Thanks for posting the pic!

27. I have no idea why anyone likes these beers. I have drank a couple of each on different occasions and have no desire to ever do so again. They are both coffee bombs with almost no other discerning flavors, no chili no vanilla or whatever they say is in it. Bitter Coffee is all I get.

Oh well another hype train that I don't need any more tickets on.

28. nc41

If it's a little hot or one dimensional let it sit for 6 months or so, the coffee may fade a bit and perhaps the Rum barrel gets to be more prominent. All the reviews as good as they are are on fresh product, I'm sitting on the few I have for at least 6 months.

29. WTKeene

WTKeene Advocate (580) Texas Jul 13, 2013

I had both Prairie Bomb and Pirate Bomb this weekend as free tastings during North Texas Beer Week, and I personally preferred Prairie Bomb. Both were amazing, but the rum flavor didn't seem to come through much on Pirate Bomb, and the other flavors seemed weaker in Pirate Bomb too.

30. kirkfrailey

kirkfrailey Savant (270) Michigan Feb 25, 2013

i have 3 prairie bombs...1 is silver/gray...1 is orange and 1 is red wax...what does this signify? Any more rare than another?

31. Phil_H

Phil_H Savant (300) Wisconsin Jun 4, 2013

Prairie bomb is a really good beer. I on the other hand have had pirate bomb a couple times now and did not like it at all. I have not had a rum barrel aged beer that I have liked yet.

32. The Hype: A ploy by the beer community to drive the NSA spy machines crazy by generating thousands of ISO:FT's per day.........:p

33. WTKeene

WTKeene Advocate (580) Texas Jul 13, 2013

Same here. It seems to do more to increase the general booziness of the beer while contributing little actual flavor.

Each wax color is a different batch. So that means they were released at different times, sometimes to different states. For example, pink wax was a Texas only batch from December.

34. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the releases were gold; red; blue; pink; orange, in that order.

I think your silver/gray is actually pink, since a lot of those came out so light that they look white/gray

35. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (445) California Dec 21, 2011

For me Bomb was good but not life altering. Pirate Bomb was better. Glad I could try both.

nc41 likes this.
  36. markgugs

markgugs Champion (990) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

this is correct, though "blue" can look like sea grey too

37. I liked pirate much more than prarie...Pirate is one of the best brews I've had in a while, so if anyone doesn't wany any of theirs I'll be glad to take it from them!

38. I have a '12 Dark Lord, '12 Darkness, couple vintages of Behemoth, Uncle Jacobs Stout, vintages of KBS and BCBS that i would trade for a mixture of Bomb!, Pirate Bomb!, Coffee Noir, Vanilla Noir and regular Noir if anyone is interested

39. nc41

Just got a set of the Noir I'm looking forward to trying, liked Pirate quite a bit, thought the Prarie was a little lifeless and flat.