1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is the most inconsistent brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by imduffman, Jan 4, 2013.

1. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

Have you noticed any inconsistency with a certain brewery in particular? I know each batch varies slightly but I've noticed some big differences over the years especially with some local breweries in my area. I have to admit its not always a bad thing..
  2. Walking Man and Hair of the Dog come to mind.
    Docer likes this.
  3. well i notice when it comes to beer Lost Abbey seem very much hit or miss to me sometimes it really good sometime it just ok but there price is always high
    when it comes to bottling Figerou Mountain is very inconsistent I notice I had few bottles of the hoppy poppy which is an excellent beer but one of the bottle had about 2oz less than the other
    also with Stone bourbon barrel aged beers again these are excellent brew but they are very inconsistent with the bottle fill some are fill substantially more than others
  4. hood17

hood17 Zealot (80) Minnesota Aug 6, 2011

dogfish head
  5. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (395) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Half Acre. The guys that work there have freely admitted to me, on multiple occasions, that "this batch" didn't turn out exactly how they were hoping it would. This was on several recent releases. I didn't even ask them. I was just sampling.
  6. The answer is every brewery with every beer they brew. Every beer was always better the previous year.
  7. Hair of the Dog in a huge way. Bourbon Fred - either completely flat sugar water or amazing mellowed Fred with bourbon backing. Fred - color variation from the usual gold to red, uber-carbed and impossible to pour quickly to perfect carb level. Blue Dot - forgot some hops in the recipe, sell it anyhow (for an IIPA). When they're on, they're on, but they're not always on.
    yojimbo1, Docer and checktherhyme like this.
  8. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Shouldn't rip on the new player in town, but the brewmaster has the experience to do better: Excelsior Brewing (MN). Anxious for their beers to become more consistent and drinkable.
  9. BrewBoone

BrewBoone Aficionado (165) Alaska Jun 29, 2008

just because it didn't turn out like they hoped doesn't mean inconsistent.
  10. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (395) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

It turned out differently than it was supposed to...

IF i made you a pizza today that you enjoyed ... and then made you a pizza tomorrow that tasted not as good (or different)... that would make me "inconsistent."
    tronester and Jimjohson like this.
  11. My Homebrew.
    beercanman, Beejay, nh2032 and 24 others like this.
  12. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

I think it depends on whether or not a brewery is (or should be) looking for consistency.

I would agree that HotD's beers are not identical from one batch to the next, but I'm not sure they are trying that hard. At 600 barrels a year, how could you be? Two or three batches of Adam and Fred a year? Close counts. Barrel aged beer didn't turn out exact the same as it did when they last released it four year ago? Oh well. I do appreciate the fact that they discounted the flat 2011 Bourbon Fred.

The one that gets me is DFH. For as much 60 Minute as they brew, they should have the recipe, system, etc., etc., all dialed in, and that beer should be identical from one batch to the next. Alas, it is not.

For as much crap as ABI and MC take around here, they are the model of consistency. You may not like what they're brewing, but it will taste the same every time, anywhere you go.
    BrewBoone likes this.
  13. BrewBoone

BrewBoone Aficionado (165) Alaska Jun 29, 2008

was it the same pizza or did i try to make a different pizza
    ChicagoNick and checktherhyme like this.
  14. But what if the Pizza was more the a month old?

By then the oregano has already fallen off, total tomato sauce bomb.
  15. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

This. Maine seems to have had some issues of late with their flagship beer, though it seems back on track now.
  16. Fantome lol

I think its at the point where it's not cute anymore
  17. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

$MY_FAVOURITE_BREWERY nails their quality control every time while $YOUR_FAVOURITE_BREWERY is an inconsistent mess.

:p
    tronester and otispdriftwood like this.
  18. chekako

chekako Zealot (80) New Jersey Dec 28, 2007

HaHa
  19. I would have said Church Brew Works until a while back but it seems like they finally have someone in charge of quality control. Much improved in that dept.
    RyanSchwam likes this.
  20. I could make a case for Port/Lost Abbey pretty easily, but I'll just go ahead and say Fantome.
    Beejay likes this.
  21. Founders-especially their Centennial
    FEUO likes this.
  22. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Fantome wins this one. Its crazy how one bottle will be the best saison you've ever had, one will be flat and syrupy garbage, and another will somehow be something that isn't even a beer.
    luwak and volta like this.
  23. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

The thread should have been locked at first mention of fantome. Love Dany to death and admire his work the majority of the time but consistency is absolutely not his forte. /thread
    cbeer88 and davey101 like this.
  24. Thats exactly what it means. But just because it didnt turn out how they hoped or if its inconsistent doesnt mean it is always (if ever) a bad thing.
    ChicagoNick likes this.
  25. rudzud

rudzud Advocate (630) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2010

White Birch

/thread
  26. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (480) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

I know it seems bush league but Newcastle Nut Brown Ale has often boggled my mind in its inconsistency. As a "macro-brew" I would think that consistency would be a number one priority yet I find it different from year to year and different from draft to bottle. One of my favorites from college I love it periodically but find it a bit different every time I try it.
  27. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

From beer to beer ..... Rogue
    luwak and BrownAleMale like this.
  28. It stopped being cute when prices climbed way past $10/bottle.
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  29. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

?You drink bud?:rolleyes:
  30. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

Easy... Rogue. Freggin all over the place.
  31. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

To Half Acre's credit, their production facility has been active just shy of only four years and, to my understanding, they have only two brewers. Shit may happen.
  32. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

That would be to insinuate they make a good beer in the first place.
    iguenard likes this.
  33. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

obviously you are channeling yourself as meta-syntactic variables can be populated with any data.... even junk data :p
    jrbchef likes this.
  34. Mikkeller's all over the map, some great, some awful and everything in between
  35. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Founders.

/thread
  36. ipa247

ipa247 Savant (270) California Dec 23, 2008

Shorts and Kuhnhenn for me. Their beers run from mediocre to flat out fantastic to infected as hell.
    Chaney likes this.
  37. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (320) Michigan May 30, 2010

Shorts and fantome.
  38. serious fantome price creep as of late. North of $15 at some shops.
  39. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Slam fest. Swing away.;)
  40. rudzud

rudzud Advocate (630) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2010

touche sir, touche.