1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is the window of time for Celebration?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Providence, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Hi all, I saw a few cases of Celebration at a local store last week. I had no interest in them last week, but thinking it over today, I find myself entertaining the idea of grabbing a case. I don't know what the date of those Celebrations are, but will surely be checking when I get there. My question to you is what is Celebrations window in your experience. In other words, when does it take a noticable dive in the hop presence (if at all). I honestly have never checked the dates on any Celebration I have ever had and they have all been great. So perhaps they hold up well, or perhaps I have just been getting lucky with fresh ones. Any advice?

Any idea if they are still bottling it, or has the last of it all shipped out?

Also, I will not be cellaring these. The case won't make it to the end of this month.

Thanks in advance!

And........cue obligatory "IPA's suck after 24 hours" joke that's not funny anymore.

2. jminch

jminch Savant (400) Ohio Jul 17, 2011

I drank one in mid-July last summer. It had been in my fridge since the December before. It tasted fantastic and I wished that I had saved a few more. Normally I wouldn't think I would enjoy a 'winter' beer in the summer, but it was really great, and when they go on clearance around here I may pick up a few to enjoy next summer!

3. steveh

steveh Advocate (715) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

I always cellar one to try alongside the next year's bottling and that beer has usually lost some of its hop punch after a year. That said, it's still very delicious and well worth drinking, so I don't think you can go wrong in only 30 days.

checktherhyme likes this.
  4. Celebration holds up amazingly compared to most IPA's. I have done a 5 year vertical of it, and each one tasted good still. Id buy the case. It will stay fresh and hoppy for at least 60 days.

5. Thanks for the feedback thus far. I like what I am hearing.

6. I have some from 2006 in my cellar. Going to do my first vertical of them in about a month.

08-09 drinking like a barleywine light right now

7. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

They hold up well. I just bought some today, it's a great value, especially marked down.

8. you'll be fine.

protip: ask if they have any cases in cold storage.

9. Trust me buy it now cause when its gone its gone till next winter !

10. It's released Oct-Dec., Sierra Nevada is in full on Ruthless Rye mode right now.

afavreau likes this.
  11. I have never cellared a Celebration Ale but it has been my consistent experience (over many, many years) that this beer lasts longer than a typical West Coast style IPA. I think this beer I more forgiving since it is a more balanced beer; a nice balance of hops and malt.

I have a bottle of Celebration in my refrigerator right now. It was bottled on Oct. 8, 2012. Sierra Nevada uses the Julian dating system for their bottling date: 2282… (the first 2 is for 2012 and the 282 is the 282nd day of 2012). I had a bottle of Celebration last week and even though it was 3 months old it was real tasty!

Cheers!

12. I drank my last one last night, was just as good as the first bottle i had in november. Would ave no issue buying more but now ruthless rye is on the shelves.

13. I still have juuuuust under 2 cases left in my fridge. Ill continue to buy even more when Safeway marks them down again to $11.97 per 12 pack. As others above have mentioned, They hold up extremely well.

14. EdH

EdH Aficionado (230) Utah Jul 27, 2005

Yeah--pretty sure I drank the last one in March last year, and it was still great.

15. they hold up fine. I'm looking forward to getting some Ruthless Rye soon!

chuckstout likes this.
  16. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Hey dude just ask Yamar! I believe he had a couple of these aged from the late 8o's?!?!?!??!

17. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Your last Celebration should be drunk while taking down the Christmas tree.

vidguy17, cwehr13 and CanConPhilly like this.
  18. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I had one on Nov 8th. It was more than 2 months old at that point and way past it's prime. Pass!

19. wtf you talking about it wasnt bottled in late august early sept

beercanman likes this.
  20. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

It's a matter of opinion.

21. I stop buying it toward the end of the season. That said, as others have mentioned, a lot of people cellar these for years and years.

22. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

You're right, my math was wrong. It was bottled on the 270th day of 2012, which was September 26th, so it was 6 weeks old, not 2 months. Still old. Still way over-rated.

23. JoRado

JoRado Savant (275) Minnesota Oct 26, 2010

Is it just me or did I think this years was just kind of blah and disappointing compared to the last few years I've had fresh. I opened a 2006 not too long ago and that was great, but I do not remember last years fresh tasting as bad (IMO) as this years...

24. Well I hit up the store and it tuns out those cases that were left are no more. All that I could find was six loose bottles. I snatched 'em up. These won't make it to Sunday that's for sure. By what most are saying in this thread they will be damn tasty. Thanks for the information!

25. To me at least, Celebration does not age well. I mean, yeah, it's still drinkable after 6 months, but is it still Celebration? Not really. The last one I had (from the Sept 30th bottling, consumed on NYE) was a shell of what it once was...very little hop presence...not bad, but not a beer I would seek out. Whereas fresh Celebration I'll go ape-shit crazy for.

I'd rather spend a couple more $$ a 12-er and get fresh Ruthless Rye vs marked-down, stale Celebration.

26. I haven't seen any Ruthless Rye around these parts. I would have grabbed some for sure.

27. Picked up another 12er today that was bottled on November 10th. In my opinion the window for Celebration is winter. Every year I try to stock up on enough so I can drink it through February. In the past I have kept some all the way until the following year and it does remain tasty but not the same beer.

28. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

A few months back a local craft beer bar put the 2011 Celebration on tap and it was fucking fantastic.

29. Ruthless holds up like a Champ as well. I was shocked to find a little liquor store carrying 2013 Ruthless just before new years eve. Delicious drinking a "future" beer that fresh!
    The last 2012 Ruthless I had was about 2 months ago. Still big rye presence and citrus. Just not near as resinous as when fresh.

30. I like fresh Celebration.
    I love a 6-month old one.

31. BCross

BCross Savant (275) Washington Nov 20, 2011

I had one just the other night, it holds up fine. I still really enjoyed it. May go pick up another six pack and cellar a few

32. I had a bottle of Celebration from 1985 about 6 months ago that tasted pretty impressive. So, I'd say the window is somewhere around 27 years.

Givemebeer and RDMII like this.
  33. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure if it was my palate or the beer. Been drinking so many hoppy IPA's and DIPA's lately. I will definately give it a go again next year!

34. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I had one last night and it was very, very hoppy.

35. I love Ruthless! I drank more of that beer last year than any other single beer... It still hasn't showed up in my area yet this year.

36. I had my last bottle last night. I bought it the week before Thanksgiving. It was still good as new. I would buy another case if I found it at $29 again.

Enjoy

EdH likes this.
  37. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I opened a 2010 along side my first of 2012 with a buddy and we both thought they were almost equally good, but for different reasons. The nose on the 2010 was huge and citrusy, while the 2012 was more piney but the beer was much drier. I think it can hold up for a few years as long as it's refrigerated.

38. Just because there is a year on the cap doesn't mean it should be aged.

BrettHead likes this.
  39. This beer can still be very ejoyable for a few months. Its not really a citrusy/tropical hop bomb to begin with, more of a grassy, greenish, piney/spicy hop profile which imo, lasts much longer than the prior. And SN has some of the best bottling lines in the craft industry which minimizes oxygen in the bottle.

40. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Doesn't mean it shouldn't either. To each his own.