1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is typical liquor store markup?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by quetzal013, Feb 5, 2013.

?

How much does a liquor store usually markup beer after they get it from the distributor?

1. 10%

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. 20%

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. 30%

51 vote(s)
    49.0%
  4. 40%

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. 50%

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. 60%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 70%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 80%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 90%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 100%

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. quetzal013

quetzal013 Savant (250) California Feb 16, 2011

How much does a liquor store usually markup beer after they get it from the distributor?

2. erichall

erichall Aficionado (175) Kentucky Nov 13, 2008

On craft 25% is standard. Macros, 10% or even less depending on size of package.

YogiBeer and Picodegallo87 like this.
  3. Every liquor store is different. Nobody is going to tell you what their markup is.

4. I agree with the above of 25% for craft. Pretty typical of reasonable stores.

5. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

When my wife was a bar manager the markup was only 25-30% at the bar, so retail sellers probably got around the same or a little less since they all bought from the same distributor.

6. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I would hope more than 25%. Rent/utilities in nyc and LI are very high...

7. mdwalsh

mdwalsh Savant (460) Iowa Feb 1, 2009

worked in retail and wholesale in two states....retail is 20-30% for beer. Hard Liquor is a little higher, wine a little higher than that.

8. I can tell you right now that anyone saying less then 20% for a small to medium sized distributor is full of it. My store in Philadelphia marks up BMC 20-25% and craft 25-30%.

Loss leaders are 15-20% such as the Natty Lights and Milwaukee's Best Ice.

9. Not sure where these guys are getting 30% from. Only on Import bombers, 750's or single 12oz's split from Case Price do you put a 30 mark on. Your Avg is around 15-20%. Oklahoma is a 4-Tier state too, which really blows. Lot's of hands in my pockets and to stay competitive you have to mark low. If you wanna know my % markups from cost just BM me.

DelMontiac likes this.
  10. Doubtful since in most distruibutors BMC makes up 90% of sales. That's not a lot of profit to work with.

11. mcrago

mcrago Savant (345) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Based on what my local bottle shop sells FFF at, I would say 50%.

12. Every store is different. Here in Minnesota it's usually between 30-35%

13. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

i was told that FFF sells to dist and they mark it up 40ish%
    They store marks up another 35%-40ish%

For example:
    FFF dreadnaught: FFF sells for $5.25 each
    Dist sells to store for $7.50ish
    Store Sells to consumer for $10ish

Now let's review why FFF sells these at the pub unless demand isn't met there! :)

14. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (630) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

An Oklahoma liquor store owner told me the other day that there are at least two wholesalers they know of that also run their own retail stores. Doesn't sound fair to me and I have to wonder if it's actually allowed by state law. Seems with all the tightass laws in OK, that this would not be legal. Must be a loophole somewhere.

15. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (580) New York Sep 21, 2012

Is that true? If so, i might plan a trip to Munster pretty soon. Dreadnaught here in Indy is $11.99 before taxes. Damn it.

16. In most states, you're looking at 30% margin, so about 43% markup. That's also the minimum standard markup for big distributors.

tozerm likes this.
  17. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

they sell to Distributor for that.
    Not at the brewpub.
    They also sell it for $10. Thus are much more inclinded to sell at the house!

18. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (580) New York Sep 21, 2012

You burst my temporary bubble. Silly me what was i thinking.

Casedogg43 likes this.
  19. mcrago

mcrago Savant (345) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

I believe FFF sells Dreadnaught for $10 a bottle at the brewery.

Casedogg43 likes this.
  20. Saw Bell's Hopslam for $27.99 in the Downers Grove, IL area.

21. They are "Grandfathered" in. It's Parkhills and that big one in OKC. They can broker their own product in, ya its bullshit, but I guess that's what you get for being in business 60 Years

22. tozerm

tozerm Savant (375) Washington Jul 1, 2005

One thing to note.... markup and margin are not the same thing. Virtually no one in the retail beverage business uses "markup"... it sounds like it shouldn't make a difference but look here:

Beer A costs the store $10 per unit. A 30% markup would price that beer at $13.

The same Beer A costs the store $10 per unit. A 30% margin would price the beer at $14.28

The idea is simple.. markup relates to a percentage of the cost... margin relates to a percentage of the selling price. A 25-30% margin is a pretty standard range in my area for items that aren't on a feature or ad.

PeterJ and beertunes like this.
  23. Genius at work here. Most, if not all, retailers care considerably more about margin than markup. On premise accounts run on average at 300% markup, off premise run an average of 22% margin (taking in the mark up on singles and the markdown on multipacks).

24. A loss leader by definition is an item you sell for less than you bought it for. A door buster if you wil, supermarkets in my area will sell 30 packs of BMC for $15 around the holidays even though they are paying like $19 for them.

25. They make up the loss from the back end from BMC

26. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (630) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Ah ha. Well, old money goes a long way when it comes to business, lobbyists, and politics.

BierGartenok likes this.
  27. Is this the case 100% of the time? I used to sell for a BMC distributor and I was always under the impression that the breweries were only picking up the rebate programs. Wal mart for example will immediately drop their price below any other supermarket on 30 packs if it is a big weekend like July 4 or Memorial Day. I am pretty sure Budweiser wasn't kicking back as it was not a programmed sale and there was no rebate just Walmarts refusal to be undersold.

28. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

They make their money by moving huge volumes of BMC swill and small amounts of expensive craft.

29. tozerm

tozerm Savant (375) Washington Jul 1, 2005

Except in states like Washington where it is illegal to sell alcohol below cost unless your are discontinuing the product in your establishment.

30. Common in MD for 6pks to be 25-35% and bombers/750's to be the standard wine markup(50%)

My store and from evaluating the price of some more expensive single bottles will sometimes drop that 50% markup to 35-40%...Fruet should have been about $29.99 everywhere using 50% but it was often between 30.99-35.99

31. erichall

I own my own liquor store.

Every state will be different. We have quite a bit of competition here in ky.

And stores use markup when pricing items and margins when determining gross profit. A 25% markup leads to a 20% margin.

And it is illegal to sell alcohol at below cost here. Walmart/big chains will sell BMC 30 packs at .75 cents above costs on average and .25 above on big holiday weekends.

Liquor/wine can have a higher markup because the prices/discounts/free goods can vary month to month.

HoppySuds likes this.
  32. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

They are all different. But sometimes it is blatantly obvious that they are price gouging. The Shop-Rite liquors in Freehold, NJ off of Route 9 had DFH 120 for $19.99 a bottle, i've seen it at other stores between $8.99-$10.99. I've purchased it in the past and know the general price range, I saw that and was flabbergasted. Now just the other day I saw they had Sam Adams Utopias Anniversary in for $349.00. A buddy of mine paid around $170 not too long ago for the same one. It's a store I no longer shop at but always go and see what they have.

33. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

From most I have spoken to, they operate on a 30-35% markup on average.

34. LoneJedi

LoneJedi Aspirant (40) Tennessee Aug 2, 2012

I think alot of it depends on the distributors and them already having a longstanding relationship with older retail stores . 30-35% seems to be right. Though I know a few places that have lower gravity craft beers, charge $0.50 or more less per 12oz bottle yet make at least 40% and even up to 75-80%!!!!!!! Most people don't mind how much they make if they can get a 6ixer for $3 less . I would rather do business at some of the smaller shops that run a 20-30 margin . They are alot more friendly and every sale helps them to grow a good selection and prices almost as good as "THE MAN" .

35. erichall

In my state, beer is usually case 1 pricing meaning the case prices are posted and the same for 1 or 1000. Sometimes they do offer quantity discounts but those deals are posted for everyone and are not significant enough to allow for one place to sell for 10% less than another.

Liquor/wine is a whole other ballgame. Most deals are on pricing sheets but there are always off sheet deals. We are lucky to be in the biggest co-op in the state so we are almost always buying at top level discount.

36. This thread sounds like a good bit of bloviating from people who aren't in the business...just sayin'...

37. 100% spot on, should be the first and last comment.

38. Squatchito

Squatchito Savant (250) Virginia Dec 6, 2007

Depends on the item. Macros are typically loss leaders, craft and import 12 packs lower than target, 6 packs on or around target, bombers above. If available, singles and growler fills are profit drivers. They overall goal would be somewhere between 25% and 30%, generally speaking.

39. A general rule of thumb is the whole sale cost is 60% of the suggested retail price. So a 6 pack/bomber with a suggested retail price of $9.99 cost the retailer $6.00. This will vary significantly for high volume products (read BMC) where the retailer hope to make for low profit margins on high turnover. Each states laws will vary. In CA everyone pays the same price for 1 case or 1000 cases (no quantity discounts) and can't be sold below cost. A state like Oregon you can buy directly from distributers but you need to make a minimum purchase (and all the whales are already allocated). "Dock specials" was a college students friend when my brother was going to UO in the late '80's.

40. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I was told 20% by one owner, whom I didn't even ask. He was telling me the price of a Four pack of Chimay Blue, and said that he has to make 20% on them. I know everyone will be different.