1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is up with Dinner?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by 64vdub, Aug 1, 2014.

1. 64vdub

64vdub Savant (270) California Feb 20, 2014

Dinner is a great beer and all, but what's up with the trade value? Earlier this year I went $4$ with good limited distro shelf beer and got all the dinner I wanted. Now I've been seeing limited brewery release only offer trades go un-filled. The limit was 2 cases of Dinner... not something like 4 bottles! I must me missing something right?

evilcatfish likes this.
  2. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony Savant (265) California May 22, 2006

Wondering the same thing...

3. markgugs

markgugs Champion (980) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

I call it the "Hill Farmstead" effect, meaning, for all but a very, very small population, it's a pretty significant drive to get the beer, regardless of purchase limits.

Add to that more & more positive feedback (you can call it hype if you'd like), and the demand for the beer is even greater than it was from the last release (May 21 of this year).

Shilt and cavedave like this.
  4. 64vdub

We can't all forget that Dinner has about 3 solid weeks of shelf life...can we beholders of Dinner :) Just saying.

5. The limit did change to 4 bottles by the end of the day and probably should've been done from the get go. Just an FYI. Seemed to be quite the pain in the ass to get.

Brutus627 likes this.
  6. Shilt

Shilt Savant (395) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Getting two bottles for a Maple Tripple and WW Black Angel Cherry sour. I'm going well over $4$, but as others have mentioned, it was apparently a pain in the ass to get. That and apparently taste are driving the value up. Im just hoping it lives up to the hype.

7. markgugs

It very much does...one of the best DIPAs I've had the pleasure of trying. Amazing beer. It's shelf life is pretty good too. Drank just as nicely 7+ weeks after May 21 as it did on May 22.

Brutus627 likes this.
  8. 64vdub

It's good, report back. My inkling is that you'll never trade that much again for it.

9. i was curious about this, used to go for locals. was a great extra

evilcatfish likes this.
  10. Shilt

Shilt Savant (395) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Will do! Black Angel wasn't terribly hard to acquire and I've had Maple Tripple multiple times, so am fine spreading the love a little with that one. That and getting it done IP is also helpful.

11. 64vdub

IP trades are helpful and saves the $$$ :)

12. I'm new to BA, but I trade on r/beertrade, and I traded my Dinners $4$. I just felt like it was spreading the love better that way - but really I am just a shitty negotiator I guess. Dinner is phenominal, but I just don't see why people would go above and beyond $4$ other than some thank-you-extras. Maybe that's because I found taking the day off, camping the night before, and the cluster-fuck but all around good vibes of the line to be super fun.

Kurmaraja and Shilt like this.
  13. markgugs

for the record, I've always traded my Dinner for $9 of equally awesome beer too

I just traded an Iris for 3 bottles from yesterday's release, FWIW

hooliganlife and 64vdub like this.
  14. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

I'm glad this subject came up, I was really wondering what the deal is

15. Me three.

16. Abbbp

Abbbp Savant (455) Texas Mar 9, 2013

Man, @markgugs is such a bad ass he sent me one just because he wanted me to try it. Actually I blame him for my permanent quest for it, def worth the hype, and a tough place to get to. ISO!

17. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Dinner is a great beer! Agreed the Iso/FT forum does seem a little out of hand on this.

18. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Same with other beers, hype, more demand, people want what they can't have. Value goes up. Never had it before I am sure it is a great beer or people wouldn't want it.

19. Welcome to BA. Have you 2 met?

20. rjp217

rjp217 Advocate (680) Massachusetts Apr 24, 2012

Ive traded it $4$. I've also given Dinner as extras (from the second release). I'd always do it the same way again but I guess that's just me. Seems to be getting out of hand in my opinion.

twizzard likes this.
  21. I'm going to be visiting Maine in October. Is there planned to be another release for this? I was hoping to set up an IP trade for it but not a limited release for a 5 month old IIPA.

22. markgugs

can't really tell, but the first release was in either March or April, then on May 21, then again on July 31, so maybe October?

23. Well, what's the value of driving an hour or more then waiting in line for 3 hours or more? Is it worth nothing? I know I wouldn't expect $4$ for Dinner, HF or anything like it, since I can theoretically make the trip and still don't. If they didn't have the (ridiculously high) two case limit, I doubt you'd see it traded much at all, since very few people, even locally, got any, but those that did got more than they could drink.

twizzard likes this.
  24. twizzard

twizzard Advocate (625) New York May 11, 2013

I was fortunate to have a friend of a friend grab me 2 cases last week. Traded 10, gave away 10 and drank 4 myself. I could have kept more and/or traded more but there is alway another amazing IIPA around the next corner. It's only beer.

nc41 and Birdrinker like this.
  25. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

No. Stop. Just stop. The Portland, ME metro area is half a million people. No acting like it's the middle of BFE just because you personally live somewhere else.

26. The Portland metro area is 203,000. The city has 66,000. I would bet that most of the people in line for Dinner were not even from Maine, let alone Portland. Note that all the folks on this thread who trade Dinner are from MA or further. It isn't easy to get, no matter where you are. You don't see this happening with JA Framinghammer variants that are brewery only, b/c those last at the brewery a couple weeks and there is no 3+ hour line.

27. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_Maine

Metro518,117 (US: 104th)

I traded a local for it, who posted an FT on this site.

Also, we all stand in lines.

Just stop.

theJohnChamp likes this.
  28. Brutus627

Brutus627 Savant (330) Maine Feb 3, 2014

MBC is in Freeport which is like 20 minutes from portland and the people in line that I spoke to were from NY,MA,CT,NH FWIW. I've traded it $4$ ($8 per) each time I've gotten it, the last release didn't even have a bottle for myself because I was part of the 4 per person group and I had just enough to cover pre trades I had done (glad I learned my lesson on over extending myself on those...). I don't think I'll find myself requesting a $4$ trade for AB Mexi Cake anytime soon but the hype doesn't shock me at all. People offered 300+ dollars worth of beer alone (not to mention the obnoxious shipping of all that beer) for BVDL and really what's the difference? Sure there are far less BVDL's but 300 bucks? I'm on a guitar forum as well and there are guitars that people will pay astronomical amounts for (10,000+) just because that's the established norm I guess when there are guitars of equal craftsmanship for 1000's less. As far as I'm aware though the bottle count keeps rising so this "rarity" may fade...all IMHO

~wanted to mention that i feel that standing in line is a given at this point, once something catches on, it's inevitable. As far as the duration of time spent in line, that can be attributed to the fact that they let only ten people in the building at once and allow those people to get pours and stand around so that those people have to clear out before the next group was let in...Not to mention they were taking cards on a system that isn't extremely fast, if they did it cash only under an easy up the line would have been dealt with a lot more quickly...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    HuskyHawk likes this.
  29. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Dinner was amazing, sorry it really was as good as it gets, end of July release. No hype needed, thanks Tom, very generous , beer this good I'd keep and drink, maybe share a few too. Similar now I think of it maybe JuJu maybe HF Ephraim. Best nose on any beer ever.

twizzard and markgugs like this.