what is/was THE standard for brown ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tronto, Feb 8, 2013.

1. tronto

tronto Aficionado (235) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

Not necessarily a great brown ale, but what is the brown ale you think many are fashioned after and has somewhat set the standard for a brown ale? Thanks.

2. DFH Palo Santo Marron! After that, it's all down hill.

3. Santo Marron or even DFH Indian Brown, thats my go to

Lantern and hogansct like this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'm still partial to Samuel Smith's Nut Brown. A hoppy Brown? Dogfish Head Indian Brown. If I went and checked my reviews, I'm sure there would be others.

Lantern, Prospero, FosterJM and 8 others like this.
  5. No way is it anything DFH. Those are great beers but definitely not 'the standard' of brown ales. For Americans I'd point to Smuttynose. English - definitely Sam Smith Nut Brown Ale. No question.

6. Surly Bender and Dark horse Boffo

7. I'm gonna go with Hoya and say Smuttynose Old Brown Dog.

Duff27, palma, jcb7472 and 4 others like this.
  8. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Yeah - I have to agree those are the best I've had. Since I can't get those locally I'm going Bell's Best Brown.

BrownAleMale and 5thOhio like this.
  9. lic217

lic217 Savant (470) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Well said.

10. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

The standard has to be Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale. It is a pure unadulterated brown ale.

11. tronto

tronto Aficionado (235) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

Funny, that's what I'm drinking that spawned this question...its a great beer but it doesn't taste like any brown sled I've had. Are nut browns and brown ales different?

12. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

For me it was Newcastle, because it was the 90's.

13. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I wouldnt use this as a classic example of a brown ale. While it is fantastic, it is also oak aged and because of this doesnt make it more of a standard for that style. Having said that, in conjunction with bjcp guidelines and the recent styles classes I have taken... I would go with big sky moose drool.

14. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Rogues Hazelnut Brown Ale for me.

15. I'd say Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale is pretty solid and a good representative of the American style.

16. Actually, it's Palo Santo wood aged. ;) I understand it's not the standard. Plenty of killer Brown ales out there that are more traditional than any DFH brown. This is just the best of the best of brown ales imho!

RichardMNixon likes this.
  17. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

THE standard is Samuel Smith Nut Brown

American Brown Ales I'd go w/ DFH IBA & Sierra Nevada Tumbler.

tronto likes this.
  18. ScottieD

ScottieD Savant (430) Connecticut Jul 30, 2011

Sam Smith Nut Brown for an English traditional but I adore Pretty Things St. Botolph's Town.

tronto likes this.
  19. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I have always enjoyed New Glarus' Fat Squirrel.

misterid likes this.
  20. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

I'm sure this is not going to be a popular opinion but the Brown Ale I judge other against is Abita Turbodog. It's very accessible in my part of the country, is fairly sessionable, and is extremely tasty, well balanced, and drinkable. I've had plenty that are better but it is my measuring stick. I tend to think of a brown ale as an easy drinking beer and one that is a great gateway beer for future craft drinkers. Turbodog is that in spades.

kingofhop and Mediczod like this.
  21. gory4d

gory4d Advocate (505) New York Apr 14, 2007

Pretty Things' St. Botolph's Town, whichever side of the Atlantic you're on.

Providence and Mandark like this.
  22. ScottieD

ScottieD Savant (430) Connecticut Jul 30, 2011

My feelings exactly!!!

23. Gotta throw Moose Drool in there, too.

But, yeah, Samuel Smith's has probably had more influence.

24. travisdiener32

travisdiener32 Savant (290) Florida Mar 31, 2009

Everyone is afraid to say it but I bet their first brown was Newcastle, it is big beer that was craft beer, before craft beer. That being said, I'll drink a CCB Maduro all day, any day

HOMEPL8, SammyJaxxxx, tronto and 2 others like this.
  25. tkelley

tkelley Savant (275) Massachusetts Sep 23, 2010

Agree with those who say Smuttynose Old Brown Dog.

26. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

DFH will never be the "standard" of any style, and I think they prefer it that way...

ESeab likes this.
  27. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

I gotta say:
    Best Brown
    Hazelnut Nectar
    Bender

Any of those are what I think of when I hear "Brown ale".

28. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

Downtown Brown
    SN Tumbler

--Dom-- likes this.
  29. Wychwood Hobgoblin. One of my first craft beers and still one of my all time favorites.

BEERchitect and tronto like this.
  30. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Moose Drool was awesome!....before it started getting distributed everywhere...since then its just not the same.

31. Right on. I love DFH Indian Brown, but it's too hoppy to be a standard Brown (in my opinion). Sam Smith brown on the other hand is what I would say is the quintessential brown.

ESeab and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  32. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I'd say Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale is the best traditional example of the style. But Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar is easily my favorite example of the style and one of my favorite beers ever. Also, Mt. Carmel Nut Brown Ale is probably the best unknown brown that's bottled, it's so good..

ESeab, SammyJaxxxx and tronto like this.
  33. LieutenantDan

LieutenantDan Disciple (50) Texas Nov 18, 2012

Id have to say my standard choice brown ales would have to be real ale brewhouse brown, santa fe nut brown, dogfish palo santo. I dont mind a hazelnut nectar from rogue every now and then either. I have yet to find a brown ale that really blew me away.

34. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Samuel Smith, Moose Drool, SN Tumbler. All great browns. But none have been immortalized like Newcastle, in the great Humble Pie song "30 Days in the Hole".

35. Matynich

Matynich Aspirant (25) Virginia Feb 8, 2013

Newcastle was one of my first stepping stones in to craft beer years ago and I'm grateful for it. Sam smiths was my next step and have always judged other Browns based on it. Just recently had alesmith nut brown and loved it. Give it a try if you get a chance.

36. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Mann's Brown Ale. It's the original.

37. Oskars Blue "The Deuce" is really good. Its a coulab beer but can't remember with who right now.

38. for everyone citing samuel smith, keep in mind that many (perhaps even most) UK beeradvocates do NOT consider them exemplary of british brewing. it's only the facts that they have been imported to the USA for a long time and that they were one of the few "small" or "craft" breweries who even did export to the USA, which grew their reputation amongst non-UK drinkers.

39. But it comes in 500ml bottles and hence is not true to style. A proper brown ale should come in returnable brown half-pint bottles, well scuffed.

billlang675 likes this.
  40. Abita tends to get the short straw, and I wish it wasn't so. It is also very accessible to me here in NY, and Turbodog is a very consistent, easily obtainable beer, and it is very inexpensive as well. It isn't the best brown out there, but it is by no means a bad one, and you can't go wrong with it. And it is one of the best for the money.