1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

what is/was THE standard for brown ale?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tronto, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Lots of great beers listed here. But, it's really hard to argue against Samuel Smith's Nut Brown. That's a absolute classic that others still can't touch.

Hockey_Fan likes this.
  2. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I'm pretty sure they brought it back, but it's limited and doesn't reach every Goose Island market. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong..

3. Stoutish

Stoutish Zealot (90) California Jan 1, 2013

Brekel's brown, by Anchor Brewing. It's a single hop brown. You get more of a malty flavour. It's def my go to brown and many don't compare. Rogue Hazelnut brown nectar is impressive also.

4. hmm, maybe they have indeed brought it back? can someone check the dates?

5. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I have still yet to try the Upslope Brown...need to rectify that.

alexipa likes this.
  6. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

This. Our GI rep was offering us kegs of it a few weeks ago.

7. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

You are correct. If fact....I forgot to mention this one in my earlier post along with Smutty, Avery, and NG Fat Squirrel. The GI Nut Brown is found in the Chicago area market. Not sure how far it gets out beyond that. It is a pleasant drinker. Nutty...just a touch of sweet...a nice beer for the price point.

8. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (450) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

Dogfish Head's Indian Brown is fantastic

9. Sam Smith Nut brown or Newcastle

10. i know that it was still available in keg, or at least at one of the brewpubs, this whole time. just didn't know that they revived the bottles, which stopped shortly before the AB-inbev takeover.

11. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Downtown Brown was the beer that started it all for me. But I also think Cabin Fever from New Holland is a great representation of the style, it just tastes like a brown ale should in my opinion.

12. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

See this: http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/home/327.php

Looks like Nut Brown will be year-round, but with regional distro.

13. thanks. still sad tho. trading for a constant supply of it isn't going to be very economical.

Brunite likes this.
  14. Surly Bender

15. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Brown ales don't do much for me at all (I'd usually rather have water) but DFH Indian Brown is pretty darn good. That one gets my vote.

16. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

17. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

My first introduction to Tyranena years ago. Made me an instant fan of the brewery. Still a go to for browns.

Brunite likes this.
  18. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (525) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Old Dog Brown was just that, a drain pour for me and I haven't chased any Smutty since...The Sam Smith Nut Brown is a standard from across the pond for sure.

19. mcrago

mcrago Savant (355) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Moe's Bender from Surly. Hands down...

20. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

IMO in cannot be DFH, it is too hoppy for the style. This would definitely be the American standard but not the one I would want all others to be judged by.
    I would say the THE standard for the style is Sam Smith's Nut Brown OR New Glarus Fat Squirrel.

21. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (530) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown, like everyone else has mentioned, is the standard bearer.

The best brown ale I've ever had goes to Founders' Sumatra Mountain Brown. Barrel aged, huge coffee notes, just one of the best overall beers I've ever had. Palo Santo is my #2. Dogfish claims that it's a brown, but I'd probably peg it as an imperial stout if I was doing a blind tasting.

A brand new brown ale that West Michigan folks and visitors should seek out is Rockford Brewing's Rogue River Nut Brown, especially on nitro. Very smooth, big bodied, and lots of nutty flavor. Really good stuff.

22. straight brown ales, the traditional standard is Sam Smith's, but Bell's Best Brown is up there too.

Now when you start screwing around with it, youve got CCB Cubano Espresso/Surly Coffee Bender and or DFH IBA.

23. my cousin told me that his wifes doctor swears by it, so it must be coming back (they live by mansfield).

24. Marty91

Marty91 Savant (265) Pennsylvania Feb 27, 2012

Haven't seen anyone mention Bells Best Brown, also have to mention Brawler from Yards

25. it's been mentioned several times already but ellie's brown deserves another shout.

26. Ellie's has too much of a vanilla note for it to be considered the 'standard'

27. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

Bell's Best Brown and Anchor Breckle's Brown