1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your "bargain beer"?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bkov33, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Santa Fe's Chicken Killer barleywine for $5 / bomber

TheBishopco and DonDirkA like this.
  2. All trappists (except the Westvleteren) for $2 a piece.

3. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I'd say Descutes Black Butte Porter for $2.79 a bomber, their Inversion IPA, Black Butte or Obsidian for around $7.99 a six or one of my favorite locals San Tan Brewing Hopshock IPA or Devil's Ale for around $9 a six. I usually lean towards San Tan for my bargain beers. Unfortunately, I don't buy "bargain" often enough...

denver10 likes this.
  4. I'm with you... i don't buy bargain enough... i've been trying really hard the past 3 months to really watch how much i spend on beer though. It's been working. buying twelve packs helps keep $/oz down for sure. Also, a dabbling bourbon habit also keeps cost down if you don't buy anything top shelf ;)

5. DonDirkA

My problem is I decided to "dabble" more in hard liquor and landed on Scotch. $50 is around average for a bottle there, but luckily that $50 can last me many months (my last purchase, Aberlour A'dunadh, was in July I believe and is still around 60% full)

6. I still haven't picked up scotch or even really developed a palate for it. I landed on bourbon and so far the most expensive bottle i've left the liquor store with was $60. And i felt guilty for a week... decent bourbon is about $26-30 a bottle, and lasts me about three weeks give or take.

7. In BC there are no bargains to be had but Lagunitas and Bear Republic have the best pricing on US bombers at around $6.15 to 6.99 a beer. In the US I often pick up a 12 pack of Full Sail Session Dark lager for about $11.

8. DonDirkA

I tried Scotch once when I was about 19 and it was the most god awful thing I had ever imbibed. However, now that I have developed a palate for more malty beers (like browns, scotch ales, barleywines [not the US-super-hopped ones], etc) I find I can appreciate Scotch much more. I haven't had a ton though, so I don't consider myself nearly as educated as I am with beer. I have only had Glenfiddich 15 Year, Johnnie Walker Blue and Aberlour A'bunadh. I hate to say it but the Blue (retail around $300 per bottle, but my friend got it through the USAF Commisary for around $160) was definitley the best I have had. Glenfiddich follows in 2nd. The Aberlour is good but at 59.8%, its a bit strong for my tastes.

9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

The cheapest bomber mentioned in this thread was 3.50 and that works out to over 14.00 for equivalent 6 pack of 12 oz.'ers. Bombers can pretty much never be the answer to bargain beer.

Around here can't beat 9.00 for a six of Captain Lawrence Captain's Kolsch.

10. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

My favorite bargain beer so far is Sixpoint Diesel. The 16 oz. cans were $0.99 or $3.79 a four pack. I stocked up and drank them regularly for months. Too bad they are seasonal, but it should be that time of year soon.

11. Quaffer

Quaffer Savant (490) Nevada Jan 31, 2003

A 30-pack of Hamm's for $12.99. Boom. It does nicely as my bulk summer/lake beer.

Boulevard sixers are usually $6 to $7 here, which is about the best craft beer margin in the area.

12. sounds like i should move. you guys are quoting some killer prices.

13. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Best tasting bargain beer: Anything Lagunitas
    Other good bargain beer: Anything from Trader Joe's

Brunite likes this.
  14. New Belgium bombers for 3 bucks. Their IPA, fat tire, and red hoptober are all great for the price. I have never seen half these beers at the prices you guys are getting them. A six pack of anything around here is at minimum 10 bucks.

15. Or 4 pack as in old Rasputins case.

EdelweissDad likes this.
  16. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Sun King Osiris Growler fills on Friday.

$5

mwar likes this.
  17. Deschutes' 6-packs at 7.99. Any of them will do.

denver10 likes this.
  18. I live in Maryland, where the words "beer" and "bargain" go together like oil and water, but getting a 12 pack of Yuengling for $10 satiates me well enough.

19. as of right now i can get narragansett lager for 4.50 a sixer of 16oz. Best deal evvaarrr.
    ...and as stated above you cant go wrong with a 12 pack of yeungling for 10 bucks or especially the loose 24 case for 15.

20. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I'm all about the Sierra Nevada 12-packs. I live in what I'd say is a state with a moderate price for beer (Florida), and 13 bucks for a twelve of Torpedo is a miracle.

When Celebration comes out in a month or so, it'll be more than a miracle. There's going to be so much Celebration in my fridge. SO MUCH.

Cigar City Maduro sixers for 8 bucks isn't a bad deal by any means at all either.

EdelweissDad and ESeab like this.
  21. 30 pack of Genny Cream for 14.99

22. RandyV

RandyV Aficionado (245) Arizona Aug 8, 2010

12-pack of torpedo for $10.99? Thats a gonga deal!

23. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

Any time I can find Founders sixers for less than $10 I consider that a bargain. Besides that, the closest thing I generally get to bargain is if the Co-Op or the Tops has a seasonal six of something on sale or if I'm buying cider.

24. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (490) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

Yuengling Black and Tan......8.99 a 12 pack!

25. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (700) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Two Heart Ale gets my vote

DonDirkA likes this.
  26. Lots of craft beer in The Philippines. Check out Beers Paradise in Makati, Craft Pub in The Fort or The Bottle Shop just to name a few. Global Beer Exchange imports Rogue, Stone, Gordon Biersch, Ballast Point, BrewDog, Unibroue and others and are distributed to over 100 places around Manila. Local brews include GPoint Bar in Malate, Katipunan Craft Ales... Another great spot is Gilmore Wines and Spirits with a great import selection including Sam Adams. Cheers!

27. dmdoub

dmdoub Aficionado (185) Maryland Nov 5, 2005

Widmer Rotator IPA - case for $24.99

EnronCFO likes this.
  28. Any sixer under $7.99 is a steal in my city, but there's not anything other than Boulevard Pilsner for less than that. I consider bargain beer Hamms or Coors Extra Gold. Otherwise there's not really a Golden Ticket where I live.

29. 510a

510a Savant (355) Washington Jan 12, 2013

Pac NW so Deschutes, Sierra, New Belgium, also an
    excellent IPA bomber Goodlife Descendr only $4 , Try it!

30. I don't know if anyone said it but founders breakfast stout is about to be $10-$12 a six pack. $40 for a case of FBS yes please!

31. $10 a 6 pack?

Its $11 a 4 pack in my area.

32. It's been said they are keeping the price and moving to a sixer. So soon it should be $11 for a six pack for you. Unless the store has other plans.

33. You just made my day!

34. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Thomas Creek X-Trem IPA. $8.99 a 4 pack of 12.5% abv. This deal doesn't get any love

35. It's on founders website, so I recant my "it's been said" and say "it's confirmed that"

Hermthegerm likes this.
  36. SNPA even at $8.49 a 6 pack, it's a better deal than a 12 pacy of PBR for $9.99!

37. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (470) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Narragansett Lager $5.99 for a 6 pack of 16 oz'ers. Or SNPA 12 pack/$12.99

38. mwar

mwar Savant (340) Kentucky Jun 15, 2012

Sun King Wee Mac

39. 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo for $7.99 is a steal because it tastes very similar to Stone Ruination which goes for $17.99 for a 6 pack!

40. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

black boss porter is pretty reasonable. can't recall what I paid.