1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

What Is Your Favorite Beer and Food Pairing?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by JuniperJesus, Nov 17, 2012.

1. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Member

I absolutely love Great Lakes Christmas Ale and pumpkin pie. By destiny's design, the flavors join for a road trip of taste that promises fugitive adventure and mind-blowing, outdoors sex...in the snow.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Member

I love a great BarleyWine and a super crumbly extra sharp cheddar.
    itsthepleats and Cottzilla like this.
  3. Biffster

Biffster Member

Holy cow - where to begin? Probably dessert is my favorite. Chocolate stout with creme brulee, framboise with cheesecake. I also have really enjoyed soured farmhouse beers of various stripes with sweet ripe fruit.

I also like cheese with beer - I like marzen and smoked gouda and swiss, old ale and barleywine with blue cheese - porter and stout works with it too, if its not too roasty. They are good with cheddar, as was mentioned above.

Funny thing - I always love pairing with vegetables. Wine never works well with a lot of vegetables, which makes it even better ;) . Wit beer or a hefeweizen with green veggies or a salad is a favorite for me.

On the other hand, is there anything better than the simplicity of a good Pale Ale with a grilled New York Strip on a summer evening?

I gotta say, the Christmas Ale and pumpkin pie sounds intriguing...
  4. 5thOhio

5thOhio Member

I find I prefer to have beer before or after eating, so the flavor of the beer isn't interfered with by the food. If I do want a beer with food, I prefer something like a Pilsner or Kolsch that won't fight with the food for dominance.
    Prh27 and itsthepleats like this.
  5. PghBeerAlien

PghBeerAlien Member

For me an oatmeal/milk stout goes well with nearly any protein, but especially beef and chicken. Or a nice hunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano. Mmmm.
  6. fredmugs

fredmugs Member

This was pretty good.......

[​IMG]
  7. Mild Ale and curry (or other spicy food) is an absolute revelation as to how beer and food can match.
    In general dark beers match foods pretty well,hops are great for stand alone beers but don't enhance food.
  8. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Member

High Life and Hunt's Peppered Hot Wings...
  9. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Member

As 5thOhio mentioned, I also prefer savoring a flavorful brew before I eat, without food flavors getting in the way. But there are some combinations that I find very tasty, typically appetizer size though. Sweets with IPA/DIPAs, cheeses with barleywines, chocolate deserts with stouts. In general i also find fatty, non-spicy foods the best with beer. I just can't drink beer with spicy foods...except maybe a light lager. I'm always confounded by the comments of IPAs with spicy food....not for me.

May try the GLBC Xmas with pie now...
  10. Steimie

Steimie Member

Barbecue and Aprihop. I loved this combo.
    Pale Ale (ZD comes to mind) and a grilled steak
    FBS or FIS and brownies/cake/something chocolatey
  11. mochaguy

mochaguy Member

Beef Burgundy with the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter was an excellent pairing. The richness in the food was complemented nicely by the porter and the low/moderate sweetness of the porter didn't become too sweet with this rich dish. I also paired this with a French Pinot Noir but preferred the porter.
  12. BikingDutchman

BikingDutchman Member

Barbecue food and a good porter is probably my favorite.
    Hotmetal1 likes this.
  13. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Member

Beer Geek Rodeo and smoked ribs - an ideal combination.
  14. hogansct

hogansct Member

A nice saison and Thai food may be my favorite.
  15. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Member

A hoppy PA/IPA with spicy food is my favorite, love the contrast in flavors. The other night had Celebration with some hot wings.
  16. Prh27

Prh27 Member

I rarely drink alcohol with my food, except for an ice cold BMC with some hot wings. I find that I enjoy the flavors of food and alcohol separately. That being said, I do love to grab a handful of regular M&M's occasionally while having a heavy stout.
  17. Try mild with spicy foods everything alse I've tried just falls by the wayside. Amazing pairing, a marriage made in Heaven
  18. Pegli

Pegli Member

Porterhouse and Porter for dinner...corned beef hash and eggs and Porter for breakfast
  19. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Member

This one is easy.

Iced Poundcake form Stocks Bakery in Kensington + Speedway Stout.
  20. Shock Top with, a good burger.
  21. Henamonster

Henamonster Member

Straight up Chicago-style pizza (cornmeal crust) with a DIPA (preferably Pliny if I have it on hand.)
    EconomicIrony likes this.
  22. Henamonster

Henamonster Member

A good ribeye with an imperial stout runs a close second.
  23. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Member

I adore Gino's East butter crust pizza with a Hop Stoopid!
    Henamonster likes this.
  24. DRBiser

DRBiser Member

Even before i became an over-the-top beer dork, i appreciated how fantastic it was to pair a nice stout with fresh oysters on the half shell. But now that i've explored this pairing a little further, i truly think that Heady Topper with raw oysters may be the greatest possible food pairing of all time. i don't know how it can be beat. It will undoubtedly be how i start my thanksgiving meal!

(anyone else like IIPAs with oysters?)

as a close second, the lady and I discovered a fantastic little cafe in the Marais neighborhood of Paris (but aren't they all...) and we had a delicious steak tartare with a fresh tripel. Was so shockingly tasty i had to make it my avatar when i joined BA

ha, care for a little gout, anyone??
  25. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Member

Made in heaven huh? I spose I'll give it a shot, although whenever I come across Indian food I cant help but recall a line from the odeon panther scene in Anchorman.... (I'm a fan of the movie if u can't tell)

And oysters or raw beef don't exactly shout beer pairing to me either buy why not?
  26. Pegli

Pegli Member

How could I forget steamed clams and pilsner ?
  27. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Member

Hop Leaf in Chicago has a sandwich called CBJ... cashew butter and jam. It's got cashew butter, fig jam, and raclette cheese on sourdough. I LOVE pairing it with Cuvee des Jacobins. The funk in the cheese along with the sour cutting through the rich cashew butter and sweet fig jam is seriously 100% perfect. This is what got me into pairing beer with food.

A solid IPA with a burger or pizza are two very classic pairing that I always go for and am happy.

Backwoods Bastard with a potato bacon soup that I made recently was surprisingly amazing (in the sharing your pairing thread).
  28. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Member

I don't know why, but I've never thought to do this. I'm going to have to give this a go very soon. I'm guessing this is more around English BWs that are more on the sweet side correct?
  29. cavedave

cavedave Member

The sweeter the BW, the better I like the pairing.
  30. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

Probably anything at Beachwood BBQ with something on their bottle list or draught list.

Maybe chicken nachos and early batch Supplication

[​IMG]
  31. CosmicTom

CosmicTom Member

FBS or Epic's Big Bad Baptist with a big damn slice of Cheesecake.

Bleu Cheese BBQ Burger with Trappist Rochefort 10.
  32. cwreay90

cwreay90 Member

Stone Ruination IPA with a medium cooked prime rib steak. Does not get a whole lot better than that in my book haha
  33. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Great choice. They have fantastic food.
  34. bsnone

bsnone Member

Still to this day my favorite pairing is Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and ghridelli chocolate brownies.
  35. raczkowski

raczkowski Member

i love a good Pale Ale or IPA with some buffalo chicken wings and french fries...as well as pairing a great double IPA with a fat BBQ smoked pork sandwich thats been smoking for 24 hours! damn now i wanna smoke some meat this weekend!
  36. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Member

It's been a while since I've made some pulled pork but thinking about having it with a big DIPA just sounds outstanding. Hmmm... may have to do that soon.
  37. KevSal

KevSal Member

for some reason i freaking love a big ba barleywine with good chocolate. dark chocolate or milk.

rich chocolate with artic devil is outta this world
  38. fortsambo

fortsambo Member

Any good cheese with any good beer.
    CurtFromHershey likes this.
  39. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

Belgian pale ales with Moules and frites
    CHEEEEEEEEEEEEESE Uh... good cheddar with a Saison / Chevre with a tripel
    Bitter dark high quality chocolate - roast porter, Russian Imperials
    roast grilled meats and doppelbocks.... come to think of it, I almost always never have doppelbocks unless I am making something...
  40. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Member

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot was pretty awesome with my dad's chocolate cheesecake.