1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite beer from Samuel Adams?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Hopdaemon39

Hopdaemon39 Savant (350) New York Dec 27, 2011

Noble pils, Tasman Red, and the Oktoberfest are my favorites. Least favs are the 26.2 gose, Sam summer, and the Belgian session.
  2. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Fezziwig seems popular. I haven't had it yet ... I'll have to wait until the Winter Seasonal pack.

I second disliking Belgian Session... almost no flavor. Carbonated water.
  3. Beerista

Beerista Zealot (95) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2012

Favorites:
    Boston Lager
    Boston Ale
    Old Fezziwig
    Scotch Ale
    Holiday Porter

Unfavorites:
    Chocolate Bock, Hazel Brown
  4. The Imperial Hallertau Pils but unfortunately they brewed it once and haven't since.
  5. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I totally forgot about SA Sample B - Maple Pecan Porter, I had that on-tap once.. it was good stuff..
    jlenik likes this.
  6. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Noble Pils
  7. I had it at World Beer Fest in Durham, and talked the rep into giving me 3 bottles to take home. I loved that stuff, but it lost to Mighty Oak. Wait, how did that happen again? Mighty Oak was a drain pour for me.
  8. Bernerdawg

Bernerdawg Aficionado (125) Georgia Jul 18, 2011

Favorites are Boston Lager and Summer Ale

Least fav is the Latitude IPA
  9. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I haven't tried the Mighty Oak. They should consider giving the Maple Pecan Porter a seasonal/year-round release, but I'm sure it would end up possibly becoming watered down..
  10. I really hope not. I had sample a and b, and just ew.
  11. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Old Fezziwig, Oktoberfest, and the Holiday Porter
  12. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I meant it had more of a fake chocolate like flavor as yoohoo does. It's been almost a year since I have had it so maybe my memory is foggy lol
  13. harrylee773

harrylee773 Savant (355) Illinois Aug 8, 2010

Alpine Spring is probably my favorite, after going through a lot of it this spring. I love the Scotch Ale too, it's not as strong as many others of the style, which is a bit of a drawback but it's got a great smokey flavor that makes up for it and it's actually good to cook with (turkey chili, to be exact). I also like the Summer Ale and Boston Lager is great if nothing else is available.

Least favorites are Cherry Wheat and (I realize I'm in a huge minority here) Noble Pils. Just did not like it at all, but it's popularity caused it to go year round and that may have made room for the Alpine Spring, so it turned out okay.
  14. I'm a big fan of Noble Pils, Boston Lager, Octoberfest, Winter Lager, and Black Lager. And Old Fezziwig. And Summer Ale b/c it reminds me of summer.

I guess I'm a SA fan.

Least favorite is probably Boston Ale or Cherry Wheat.
  15. Mohican88

Mohican88 Aficionado (230) Ohio Jan 20, 2010

My least favorite is the Cranberry Lambic by far, and I think my favorite so far has been Verloren Gose. Honorable mention to the Bonfire Rauchbier. I have a Thirteenth Hour that I haven't opened yet but I have a feeling it will been near the top for my SA brews. I don't buy SA all that often but with their variety packs it's pretty easy to try a lot of their beers.
  16. JimKal

JimKal Savant (300) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

At the moment my favorites are Octoberfest and Latitude 48. My least favorite is the Old Fesswig (but I do understand that there are many who like it).
  17. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

18. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (455) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Winter Lager and the Chocolate bock are my faves. I am not a fan of Noble Pils or the Alpine Spring.
  19. Kahlerbock

Kahlerbock Savant (345) Kansas Jun 13, 2007

Boston Lager and Noble Pils in the warmer months.
    Double Bock when it's cooler.
    SA makes some very nice lagers!
  20. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Boston Ale.
  21. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Savant (495) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

Octoberfest.
    Distant 2nd is Summer Ale

After that, I just keep thinking of all the Sam Adams that I hate.
  22. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

Triple Bock.

On a more serious note, I like the Cream Stout, Old Fezziwig, Chocolate Bock(can't wait for the winter sampler, btw), and Griffin's Bow. Also, I recently tried the Stony Brook Red and I liked that quite a bit, but it was very deceptive in the aroma. It smelled like it would be a straight up sour Flemmish ale, and it ended up really sweet and malty. Very enjoyable nonetheless.
  23. Sam Adams put out some big bottles of what they are calling "New World" beers, and the Belgian Triple shocked me. I'm generally not a big fan of Sam Adams, but I had to admit that if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this one would be it. I liked it that much!
  24. dirtyfab

dirtyfab Aficionado (225) New York Oct 21, 2004

Best O fest. Worst, Summer- for regular releases. Triple Bock tasted like bad Vick's fourmula-44.
  25. deebo

deebo Savant (415) Minnesota Oct 13, 2006

I love SA Oktoberfest
  26. jcrimbaud

jcrimbaud Zealot (75) New Jersey Oct 27, 2007

favorite by far is New World Tripel.
    smitherz22 likes this.
  27. Favorites: Boston Lager, Tasman Red, Fezziwig, Black and Brew, Holiday Porter, Winter Lager, Noble Pils, Dunkelweizen, Grumpy Monk.

Least Favorites: Cranberry Lambic, Cherry Wheat, Cream Stout, Pale Ale, White Ale, Costal Wheat.
  28. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

Hallertau Imperial Pilsner was the best Sam Adams beer I ever had (I only had a small taste of Utopias). I wish they would brew this beer again...
    [​IMG]
    Boston Ale, Pale Ale, Old Fezziwig and Holiday Porter round out my top 5.

My bottom 5 - Costal Wheat, Chocolate Bock, Cranberry Lambic, Cherry Wheat, and the worst of them all...
    Sam Adams Tripel Bock​
    [​IMG]
  29. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I like the Alpine Spring, Brick Red, Chocolate Bock, Mighty Oak, Noble Pils, and a few others, but I don't love any of them.

I HATED the Whitewater IPA and the Latitude 48 IPA.

Oktoberfest is one of my favorite styles but I find SA's to be average to below.
    harrylee773 likes this.
  30. UnkleFester

UnkleFester Aficionado (205) Kansas Dec 22, 2010

Favorites Boston Lager, Black and Brew, Hazel Brown, Harvest Pumpkin and Winter Lager.

Least favorite Cherry Wheat.
  31. Favorites:
    Black Lager
    Boston Ale
    Harvest Pumpkin
    Whitewater IPA
    Fezziwig
    Boston Lager
    Griffin's Bow

Least Favorites:
    Summer Ale
    Cherry Wheat
    Black and Brew
    Brick Red
    Lattitude 48

everything else falls in middle ground
  32. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I'm actually agreeing on Latitude 48. At this point I've now had 5 or 6 of them with still one more in my fridge because of the Harvest Collection, and it's too much bitter. It has a decent flavor, but it's more bitter than anything. Definitely a mediocre at best IPA. Bleh.

As for Summer Ale, I used to think it was a really good beer... then I finished a sixer and realized just how 'meh' THAT was. The only thing I disagree with on your "likes" that I've had is Whitewater IPA... I disliked that more than Latitude 48, personally.
  33. godlessape

godlessape Savant (300) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

I like, no love, the Boston Lager
    The Boston ale
    and the Nobel Pils
    Not a big fan of their, or anyone's fruity beers, like their Cherry Wheat.
  34. TheRealBigC

TheRealBigC Aficionado (230) Nevada Aug 10, 2011

Winter Lager & Noble Pils would be my top 2. Old Fezziwig, Octoberfest and Boston lager would round out the top 5.
  35. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Aficionado (195) Aug 22, 2012

For some reason I love that beer also, for the cost considering the styles they do, I like the Latitude 48! :D
  36. MystikCelt

MystikCelt Savant (305) New York Jun 11, 2011

Absolutely loving The Vixen. Stocked up on a few bottles of that as I figure it's best as a winter beer.

Also, saw mentioned above someone didn't like the old Triple Bock. That was my initial reaction to the stuff as well, from first scent to first sip. But after I put it down, gave it a funny look and cleared my mind of what I'd expected, I let it warm up and drank it on its own terms, and it was really out of this world. However, even one of those little cobalt blue bottles is really too much for one person, it's definitely a beer that's meant to be sipped slowly and enjoyed in small servings.
  37. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

[​IMG]

I'm not sure why but I really dig this beer. It's like a wood aged, alcoholic orange cream soda. Yum!
    jbertsch likes this.
  38. Favorites: Black and Brew, Hazel Brown, Pumpkin, Chocolate Bock, Holiday Porter, Fezzwig, and Bonfire Rauchbier. Probably left something out, buy they make sooo many beers.

Least favorites: Latitude 48 IPA, Boston Lager, and their Dunkeweizen. Dunkelweizen is the only beer I truly despise. I got an explosion of off tasting raisins in the harvest pack. Don't know what was up with that.
  39. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

Absolute Best would be the Tasman Red IPA. In general I have been quite happy with their Single batch releases. All were tasty and good shots at the respective styles. As far as year rounds we have the Noble Pils which I had for the first time recently. I also thought Whitewater IPA was a great beer. Cream Stout was always a favorite of mine before I was a true beer geek, but I havent had it in a while.

I still have the first batch bottle of that sitting in the back of my fridge. I have been sitting on it since there were a good bit of reviews saying it was too hot, so I will probably crack it later this year.
  40. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

My favorites are the Boston Lager, Octoberfest, Cream Stout and Noble Pils.

My least favorites are the Harvest Pumpkin and the Imperial White. Almost drain poured both.