1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite beer of 2013 thus far?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Matthew1788, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Free Will Coffee Oatmeal Brown Ale.
  2. The mystery beer at Hill Farmstead I got a small pour of at the bottle release yesterday. Supposedly the upcoming Genealogy of Morals. All I know is it was possibly the most enjoyable 2-3 ounces of liquid that have ever hit my taste buds.
  3. Sourkehd

Sourkehd Zealot (90) Massachusetts Dec 10, 2012

Brut by enlightenment and mikkellers yeast series
  4. Lagunitas Sucks, Terrapin Hopzilla, or the Stone Espresso RIS
  5. PaleZombie

PaleZombie Zealot (90) Arizona Jan 28, 2013

Probably either Hoptimum, sucks, or green flash double stout.
  6. Love Child #3. If there was ever a time regretting NOT picking up more than a single bottle at less than half its retail price, this was it.
    urielxvi likes this.
  7. PARABOLA!!!
  8. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Green Flash Imperial Red Rye... PLEASE PUT IN BOTTLES AND SEND TO MY LBS!!!!!!!!! SOOOO DANKY!
  9. Peche 'n Brett. Had it at a tasting recently that included a number of great beers and it stands out to me as something special.
    Quickicks likes this.
  10. There can be no doubt...Heady Topper
  11. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

Favorite new beers to me this year would be Stone Enjoy By and DC Brau OTWOA.
  12. DDC/The Alchemist Moralite
  13. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (595) California Dec 15, 2012

Surly Abrasive and Alpine Nelson.
  14. Cboat

Cboat Aficionado (115) California Jun 6, 2012

Sour In The Rye Kumquats was amazing, and just had a taste of Hill Farmstead's Abner IPA yesterday which was pretty awesome too
    SadMachine likes this.
  15. Solely New beers in 2013:
    Alchemy Hour
    Coronado 17 - Kind of bothered with its 89 rating but hey what are you doing to do.
    Beer hates Astronauts
    Scrapss and ToddThompson like this.
  16. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Stone Espresso
    Xandrose likes this.
  17. Sound Brewery "Monk's GINdiscretion". The original Monk's aged in Captive Spirits "Big Gin" Bourbon barrels. Indescribable.
    luwak likes this.
  18. Maybe not the best, but the most surprisingly good beer that I tried this year was Anderson Valley's
    Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout

As in, I expect Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper to be good, but this surprised me, since I'd never had nor heard of it
    Scrapss likes this.
  19. Maybe I should hold off for the next week or so, until I crack open my first 4-pack of Founders Harvest.
  20. For stouts, it has to be Velvet Merkin. For IPAs, definitely Enjoy By, although that answer will change when I go get my KRBC Citra in a few weeks :).
  21. Raspberry Dark Origins from Crooked Stave. That beer is on another level.

Shelf beer? Deschutes Red Chair. Amazing beer.
    kodt and LotsofLupulin like this.
  22. Last month I would have said one of the Enjoy By's but will have to change my vote to Victory DirtWolf after having it last week.
    petermethot, BigStein88 and cjoc83 like this.
  23. Ovila Quad with Plums... Went back the next day and it was all sold out. Really wish I would have filled up the cart on that one.
  24. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Savant (405) New York Jun 21, 2012

Mornin Delight / Kentucky Brunch by a mile
  25. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Savant (400) Illinois May 6, 2010

I can't pick just one. It's impossible, but just considering stuff I've had for the first time this year I'd go Heady and FFF Permanent Funeral. The best recently I'd pick Green Flash Green Bullet.
  26. Jaredp

Jaredp Zealot (80) New York Oct 27, 2010

Heady Topper, Another One, Lunch, HopSlam, Pliny, Alchemy Hour, Eastern Standard, Waldo, Merveilleaux, El Cedro, Funk Metal, and Sculpin....Wow its been a great year of IPA's....
    Hendry likes this.
  27. WVUbrew

WVUbrew Savant (310) West Virginia Oct 12, 2013

28. ScottieD

ScottieD Savant (420) Connecticut Jul 30, 2011

NEBCO Supernaut
  29. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (450) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Stone - RuinTen
    Bruery - Beauregarde and Sour in the Rye
    Deschutes/Hair of the Dog collabo - Conflux # 1 (Collage)
    Iron Hill - Bourbon Octagon (local PA brewpub BBA quad)
    Voodoo - Pappy Van Winkle Big Black Voodoo Daddy
    Tired Hands - Such Unique DIPA

These might not all be new beers, but they were all new to me, and every single one of them totally blew me away.
  30. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (450) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Wow... It's that good? I really need to get on that already...
  31. Axnjxn

Axnjxn Savant (445) North Carolina Jun 24, 2012

Lindley Park
  32. sfoley333

sfoley333 Savant (340) Brazil Oct 26, 2006

Invicta 1000 IBU...their second anniversary beer and for a Brazilian imperial IPA pretty impressive.
  33. Scrapss

Scrapss Advocate (585) Pennsylvania Nov 15, 2008

Alchemy Hour was awesome.
  34. Just had it the other day. Westbrook's Rummy barrel aged Old Time. Probably my favorite beer of all time. Amazing.
  35. Well, it was Alchemy Hour, but Dirtwolf is my new favorite of 2013.
  36. Best new beer of the year? Great Lakes Alchemy Hour, Steel String Cryin Holy DIPA/No Quarter, and NB La Terroir.

Other than that, Short's Prolonged Enjoyment, Saugatuck Neopolitan Milk Stout, Event Horizon, BA Blackout, oh and NoDa Hop Drop n Roll.
  37. Axnjxn

Axnjxn Savant (445) North Carolina Jun 24, 2012

oh shit, i forgot about steel string cryin holy. definitely the best new beer of 2013
  38. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2013

Central Waters' Sixteen, by a significant margin -- easily one of the best beers I've ever tasted.

(Can't wait to try Black Gold, as it's purportedly like Sixteen taken a couple of steps farther!)
  39. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (600) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I'm sure I am forgetting some, but what stands out is Bockor Cuvee Des Jacobins on Draft and Green Flash Palate Wrecker on Draft.