1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite beer style?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mtlasley, Jun 1, 2012.

1. I love a good Dooplebock and I will say my fave within the Style is Korbinian - widely available, reasonably priced (two things that are starting to get harder&harder to come by in craft beer) and oh so delicious!

I've had the La Rossa, and while good, I find it to be a tad sweeter (almost to the point of cloying) that I don't enjoy it as much as their German counterparts

2. MotoDC

MotoDC Aspirant (40) Apr 24, 2012

Insanity is so freakin' amazing. Sadly, my local beer shop just sold me their last 4pack. Also sadly, they charged me $26. Ah well, I'd pay it again gladly.

@OP, if I were being completely objective, I'd be forced to proclaim DIPA/IIPA as my personal favorite. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- I just feel like it's almost cliche in the craft beer world to love hopmonsters. Of those I've had a few, though I've yet to try a couple obvious examples like Hopslam and Heady Topper. I'm always drawn back to my first experience with DIPA, DFH's 90min, and while excellent, there's certainly an element of nostalgia there in addition to an "objective" (haha) taste appreciation.

These days what gets me the most excited to find on store shelves are barrel aged stouts and barleywines. Of those, my personal drool-inducing examples are Old Raspy XIV and Insanity, respectively.

Finally, heavy belgians like quads have been making me smile quite a bit of late as well. Haven't tried any Rocheforts yet, but I found a 4pack of ABT12 recently (which was surprisingly subtle) and I always enjoy a Three Philosophers.

3. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Barrel Aged Stouts, and BCBS, Black Tuesday, Fifty Fifty Eclipse, Choco Rain are my favs.

4. I just bought 3 Schlenkerlas...Marzen, Urbock, and Doppelbock...have you tried the smoked doppelbock, I've never tried it.

5. Either RIS (Siberian Night) or Porter (Edmund Fitzgerald). #3 might be Hefe (which wouldb be Weihenstephan).

6. we italians know our stuff!

7. I find the Manabrea beers to be good too, especially their amber.

For the most part though I see Italian beers with steep price tags and that's usually enough to keep me at bay.

8. Moretti and peroni (terrible examples I know) arent bad. Ive found La Rossa (price wise) comparable to low end American craft singles.

9. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

If I'm talking just about beer that I can get anytime I'm at the bottle shop and not hard to get whales, I'm going to say it's either rocheffort 10 for quads and Great Divide Yeti for just a solid, everyday stout. And I mean "everyday" in a positive way.

10. I agree; however,...

In NYC both Whole Foods (Houston St) and Mario Battali's Eataly have extensive Italian beer sections, with 16.9s running $15 and up and 750s pushing $30/bottle.

While the price can be a hurdle I find these high end Italian beers going down the path of many American microbreweries, ie brewing overly complex beers. (DFH influence I think.) From a value perspective I've learned these big complex beers rarely live up to their billing, so I generally avoid them. That's not to say all big complex beers are bad, it's just after a while you lose confidence. For $15 I can get 3 Samuel Smith Imperial Stouts and that stuff is hard to beat.

11. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I've really been enjoying Pale Ales as of late, with Alpha King being my favorite, followed closely by Zombie Dust and Daisy Cutter. I'm gonna drive up to Wisconsin next week to pick up some Moon Man (and other New Glarus brews). Hopefully, I'll enjoy that one too.

12. saisons are my style, my likes

tank 7
    saison brett (BLVD)
    Fantome

13. I've had the Marzen, but not the Dopplebock

14. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

Unfair! Too many great styles with great examples, but I'll break it into 4 really broad categories with 2 best of's for each:

Pales - Gnomegang, Allagash Curieux
    Darks - Pannepot, Alesmith Wee Heavy
    Stouts - Beer Geek Brunch Weasel (Calvados edition), Peche Mortel
    Barleywines - King Henry, Sucaba

15. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.

16. It's just to hard to lock down a favorite. The best I could say is my style preference changes with the season. For example, my favorite is listed as RIS, however entering spring I transitioned to IPA / DIPAs and as summer hits I'll move to Saisons. However, of course even this doesn't always hold true as there's always a fluke.

17. Pale Ale and Zombie Dust

18. TheCondor

TheCondor Savant (395) Missouri Dec 29, 2011

Ayinger makes an excellent lots of stuff

19. TheCondor

TheCondor Savant (395) Missouri Dec 29, 2011

I think my favorite style would have to be American Porter, and man I love Black Butte Porter by Deschutes. Founders Porter is also excellent.

I also really enjoy wee heavys (Founders Drity Bastard is a good example), and although it isn't one of my "favorite" styles, one my favorite beers is Boulevard Rye-on-Rye. If you've never had it, you gotta get your hands on it.

20. My favorite thing to seek from the shelves for a good few months now is a good hoppy American Red. It started with St. Rogues Red (I don't buy from Rogue anymore though) and jumped off when I had Green Flash's Hop Head Red. Lagunitas Imperial Red and G'Knight are good examples too. Ironically enough though, I have not yet had the undisputed champion of this sub-style, Nugget Nectar.

21. Imperial Stouts - Olde Hickory Imperial sout
    Coffee Stouts - FBS, thunder struck

22. Been loving Belgian IPA's lately - the best out there is Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus by Microbrasserie Charlevoix

23. I might have to say Imperial Stout: Great Divide Yeti. Founders Imperial is awesome, but Yeti is available year round and also has it's "seasonal" Yetis.

24. tough question.

but Belgians are one of my favorites - and i always want to buy KWAK.

anything bourbon-barreled always gets me wanting to drink too.

25. bare aged stouts - parabola
    imperial ipa - double jack
    i hate weizenbocks just my own thing. ive done some domestic one that sucked real bad. ayinger's i know is a good one though i dont like it. i do not like vitus either

26. Saison- I like Sophie too. The fantome and bruery saison de lente are probably favorite examples.

27. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

I'm sure this has been discussed before, so sorry. It seems that this whole west coast fever has taken over, living in California and all, so the IPA/ IIPA seems to be the first thing I look for.

But, for some reason, don't quite enjoy some English/ European ales/ lagers. Perhaps its that noble hop taste or the malts they use, or perhaps the lack of hop profile we are so accustomed to. Also, I haven't had very many decent lagers in my time.

Just throwin' it out there.

28. Horseballs

Horseballs Aficionado (105) Ohio Feb 7, 2012

I drink pretty much all styles and want to brew most all styles. My favorites are stout/porter and my least favorite are fruit beers (lambics not included... I love them).

29. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

My favorite styles rank as...

1. Hefeweizens/wits
    2. Ipa/DIPA
    3. Stout/Porters
    4. Sours

I'm going to stop there but the least favorite is by far is spiced beers with a rosemary/cilantro taste. The cinnamon/nutmeg flavors are appealing to me. Although I did like Saison Du Buff and that one had some rosemary to it. I guess I just remember back to Epic's Utah sage saison and remembering how it didn't agree with me. There are often a few holiday beers that don't quite sit well either.

30. Favorites would be Doppelbocks and Russian imperial stouts
    Least favorite is Old Ales and Black Ipas

31. 7clutch

7clutch Savant (255) Florida Sep 14, 2012

Favorite styles: Imperial stouts, sours, and pumpkin beers
    Least favorite: spiced Holiday ales, bitters, and pale lagers. That said I really like any and all beer styles and it was difficult thinking of least favorites since it would be just as easy listing exemplary beers from said least favorite styles.

32. Kelp

Kelp Savant (450) New Hampshire Mar 6, 2008

Favorite two are hefe/wits, and porters. Least Favorite are probably wild and sours

33. Favorite: Marzens, Ambers, Stouts
    Least Fav: Black IPAs, barley wines, strong ales

34. Favorites: single-double-triple IPA's, Pale ales, Barleywines, stouts, porters, wild ales

Dislikes: Rauchbeirs(maybe I do like them but have never had one i did yet), Hefe's and Wits(used to love them but cant stand most of them now..), and not a big fan of Marzen's

35. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Favorite: English Bitter/ English Pale Ale

least favorite: Pumpkin beer in particular but also any beer with flavoring added such as fruit, spices, etc.

36. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Favorites: Imperial Stouts, Double IPAs, Quads
    Least favorite: English bitters, Lambics

37. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Favorites: American Double Imperial Stout, Russian Imperial Stout, DIPA
    Least Favorites: Kvass, Chile Beer, Black & Tan

38. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Favorites: Delicious.
    Least Favorite: Pretentious.