1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite beer style?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mtlasley, Jun 1, 2012.

1. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Favorites: Oktoberfests, Bocks of any kind, IPA's, DIPA's and pale ales, scottish Ales, English bitters and Pales, ESB's, German style lagers.

Least favorites: Hefe's and wits, Belgian anything, anything smoked. Not a big fan of stouts and porters though I like a few.

2. Favorites: rauchbiers and lately wheatwines
    Least favorites: Irish reds and APAs

3. Favorites: IIPAs and Stouts

Least: Brown Ales and Pumpkin Beers

4. favorite: IPA, helles, saison

least favorite: brown ale, porter

5. favorites: stouts/porters, wilds/sours, rauchbiers, hoppy IPAs/DIPAs

least: red ales, sweet/malty IIPAs, black IPAs, holiday spiced beers, pale lagers

6. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Fav: Barleywines, Stouts, Old Ales

Least: AAL, Malt Liquor, Blonde Ales.

Cheers!

7. mdaschaf

mdaschaf Advocate (695) Washington Mar 28, 2010

What a stretch for your least favorites!

JulianB and YaKnowBrady like this.
  8. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Favorite: Anything malt-heavy, be it as mild as a helles or as strong as an English Barleywine.

Least Favorite: While I love some IPA's, the new trend of swampy dank IPA's is definitely not for me. Give me some old school 90 Minute, Stone, Green Flash, Hop Devil, etc. any day.

9. I do love me some IPA. Stout is probably in second. I appreciate most others, except Hefe/Wit, never met one I liked.

10. I have been on a lager kick for several years. Why was I not surprised to see the OP saying he did not like lagers?

I am not into strong Phenolics in beers, so German Wheats and anything with Peat are not to my liking.

11. Fav: IPAs and fizzy, yellow, non-adjunct lagers

Least Fav: bbl aged & rarez

12. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Fine: Rauchbiers, Malt bombs DIPA's, Pilsners, Vienna Lagers.

Happy?

Cheers!

13. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I'll pretty much drink any style that's well done, so no dislikes coming from me. Although, favs are IPA, DIPA, Stout, Porter, Imperial Stout, Dark Belgians.

14. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (265) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

Favorites - IPA, IIPA, APA, Oatmeal/Milk Stouts, RIS
    Least - Barleywines, most hefes, wits and fruit beers

Ill drink a good one of my least favorite styles tho like old guardian and franziskanner.

15. Favorite: geuze
    Least: Bier de Garde. This is honestly the only style of beer I do not appreciate. I like things similar to it... farmhouse, funk, but I can't get into this one. I now refuse to judge Belgian and French categories at BJCP comps because of it.

16. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Favorite
    Trappist, RIS and Oktoberfest

Least favorite's
    Weizen, Saison, Black IPA's and noncitrusy IPA's.

17. Favorite: RIS

Least: BMC and N/A . . . I guess that's a little redundant isn't it hahaha

18. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Favorites: imperial stouts, imperial IPAs and I've been on a wheatwine kick recently (but can't find very many).
    Avoid: pale lagers, pilsners, marzens, wits.

19. Skoallrebel

Skoallrebel Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012

favorite: kellerbier
    least favorite: ipa (too bitter)

20. Favorites: IPA, Baltic Porters, Pumpkin Ale, Pils or Helles Lager, Saison.

Least Favorites: Sweet Stouts, Scotch Ales, American Wheat, Fruit, Winter Warmers.

21. mjurney

mjurney Savant (280) Texas Oct 13, 2007

Favorite: German Pilsner, Oatmeal Stout, English Brown Ale, Kolsch and Authentic German Hefeweizen
    Least favorite: Fruit beer, Chili beer and winter warmer.

22. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (285) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

This is a very tough question to answer because it is all too often that within the different genres of beer, different breweries can either make or break one's concept of a good/bad "style" of beer.

Although my favorite flavor is IPA/IIPA, I can honestly say some of the worst beers have been classified in the same category. Considering that these genres have "common attributes", it does not necessarily mean that all beers of that group taste all too similar.

Personally, I have been turned off to Rauchbiers, probably because the first one I ever had was from a no-name brewery. I'm certain that if I were to go to Germany for a "real" rauchbier, then my opinion may be heavily swayed in the other direction.

Over time, my tastes have dramatically changed. I used to find IPAs to be too bitter and harsh, but have come to appreciate the numerous types of floral and citrus hops used to make IPAs so delicious. Likewise, I also was never very fond of Stouts/Porters, Bocks, Dub/Trip/Quads, Dunkleweizens as I was never accustomed to dark and heavily malted beers. Since then, I really enjoy drinking these types of beers, although not many in one sitting.

23. Gangoux

Gangoux Initiate (20) Nov 21, 2012

Mine is Imperial Russian Stout. The flavor and aroma is just absolutely amazing to me. I am also quite fond of traditional German wheat beer. What is your favorite?

TheCondor likes this.
  24. ipahead

ipahead Zealot (80) Virginia Mar 20, 2012

I love the IPAs and have recently began to like Stouts as well. I would like to try some good sours but I have yet to venture into that market.

TheCondor likes this.
  25. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Scottish IPA, Imperial Mild, EIP, Old Burton Extra.

26. PhillyStyle

PhillyStyle Savant (490) Georgia Apr 8, 2008

Currently my favorite styles are english pale ales and ESB/bitters.

27. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Big dark Imperial Stouts, English Barleywines/old ales and fruity double IPA's. Very particular with my IPA's though. I like to lean towards the tropical fruit forward, mango-y citrus style. It's almost a completely different style.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  28. Favorite Style. Hard to Pin down, might change a few times a week, or i might sit on a style for a month.
    I normally will sit on a beer style until something new or and old favorite comes my way. Cop-out i know but why shave 1 or 2 or 3 styles as a favorite when Brewers are pushing the envelope these days.

29. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Favorite styles to geek out over: Sours and barrel aged stouts.

Favorite styles to drink at a pub: IPAs

Favorite styles to drink at home/regular basis: Belgians and hoppy pale ales.

I really like German wheat beers and porters as well. Oh yah, and walezbro.

FosterJM likes this.
  30. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Saison baby!

JonnyBeers likes this.
  31. Milds and bitters.They are the only ones I don't tire of ; in the days of no choice I'd drink several pints of them every night and many lunchtimes and thought life was good.

32. awinkro

awinkro Savant (285) Texas Oct 15, 2008

A time and a place for them all, but I drink session beers more than anything else. I don't understand how some of you can polish off DIPAs, RIS, Barleywines, etc. day in and day out.

33. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

On average? Quads. Relatively few breweries attempt them if they can't pull them off. Ideally? Dry stouts. Many try; few succeed.

34. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Lately it's been Berliner Weisse. Wish there were more available in that style. I change favorites pretty often.

35. Right now it is Belgian Quads and German wheat beers due to location and availability. When I move back to the US and have greater access to the US craft beer that probably will change.

36. danoble1

danoble1 Aficionado (240) Indiana Apr 13, 2012

Stouts, Porters :)

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  37. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Tough to say, given our current embarrassment of riches, but I guess if forced to choose it would all come down to the humble and lovable pale ale, in its English and American iterations... which is still an awfully broad selection for this kind of question.

Please don't make me choose. I'll just have whatever you're having.

38. IPAs for sure, but I LOVE Saisons and Biere De Gardes as well. I tend to shy away from a lot of German beer; they just don't offer that much complexity to me.

39. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Great question; almost impossible to answer. Sort of like which is your favorite kid.

I have 30 or so styles that I enjoy and all are always represented in my fridge. Lets see what's in the fridge today!:D

IPA: Green Flash WC, SN Celebration
    DIPA: Maximus
    APA: Zombie Dust, Mission St
    EPA: London Pride
    ESB: Fullers
    Porter: Founders, Fullers
    Vienna: Elliot Ness
    Rye: Founders Reds, GI Mild W
    Flanders: Duchesse
    Belgian PA: Rayon Vert
    Belgian SPA: Duvel
    Belgian SDA: Del Nocturnum
    Saison: Sophie
    Quad: Abt 12, 3 Phils
    Dubbel: Pere Jaques
    Scottish Ale: FFF RTB
    Scotch Ale: SA Wee Heavy
    Doppelbocks: Celebrator, SA Double Bock
    EisBock: Capital Eisphyre
    Marzen: SA Ofest...lots
    Hefe: Paulaner
    Dunkelweizen: Hacker P
    Weizenbock: Aventinus
    RIS: Old Raspy, Expedition
    Amer Stout: Bells SD Cream
    Amer Double Stout: FBS, BCBS
    Milk Stout: Left Hand Nitro
    Oatmeal Stout: NG Road Slush
    Dortmunder: GL DG
    Brown Ale: GI Nut Brown, NG Fat Squirrel
    Old Ale: Founders Curmudgeon

Hmmm. That was fun. And enlightening. With so many great beers in reach....favorite? I have a different style each day. "Variety is the spice" sorta thing.

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (415) India Jul 25, 2009

I love to pay for IPA