1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite beer style?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mtlasley, Jun 1, 2012.

1. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (640) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Stouts and Porters.
  2. jcreegan

jcreegan Aficionado (220) Florida Aug 12, 2010

Stouts & Porters are the most desired styles for me, however my go to will always be a brown ale.
  3. I'm a malt head... love double bocks and marzens. I also like your run of the mill amber lagers and ales for outdoorsy/golf type consumption.

IPAs and DIPAs have really grown on me recently, but i'd still pick up a celebrator over pretty much anything else.
  4. Hoppy IPA/DIPA
    JamesMN and happy4hoppybeer like this.
  5. Whatever you're buying is cool with me.
    Steimie likes this.
  6. English Barleywine and Russian Imperial Stouts... but I drink all styles and enjoy each for what they are.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  7. My favorite is whatever my next beer is!
  8. badboy7113

badboy7113 Savant (360) Florida Jan 19, 2011

Stouts and ipa's!
  9. I could probably narrow it down to:
    Rauchbier
    American IPA
    Munich Helles
    Flanders Red

but after that I would find it difficult to choose. Thankfully I'm not wanting for a continuous flow of quality versions of each one.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I suppose if I were forced to narrow it down I would have to say Russian Imperial Stouts.
  11. IPA/DIPA, love a good Porter too.
  12. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Can I have your fridge please? I would nut if I opened my fridge and saw all of that, haha.
  13. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

When the wife wanted a new fridge....I was more than happy to say "sure, dear". I knew that I would get the old one for the basement...all mine!;)
    tectactoe likes this.
  14. Whatever Firestone Walker blends each year for Anniversary ;)
  15. Munich Helles and Munich Dunkel. Based on their record of brewing well-made lagers, I would love to see Great Lakes Brewing brew and bottle both of those styles.
  16. Imperial Stouts and American Strong Ales.

Love DIPAs, Tripels, Belgian Golden Ales, Barleywines as well. That's prob my top styles, though the only style that I haven't really found a beer I enjoy yet is sours.
  17. Weizenbocks, hands down. I am always thrilled to find a brewery that has one, since it isn't represented very well, and I always wonder why this style isn't widely adored. Aventinus is probably my all time single favorite beer. Not far behind in styles though are any kind of Belgian - tripel, strong dark ale, IPA, wit, etc.
  18. My favorites depend on the situation:

All day, any day: Czech Pilsner
    Almost any time: Dubbel
    On occasion: Imperial Stout
    Special occasion: Oude Kriek
  19. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Guess I would have to say stouts
  20. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

-Bal Barleywine
  21. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I always used to be into big stouts, but I think my tastes have gone in other directions.

Right now, I'd probably go with doppelbock or in the rare instance that one is available, Kellerbier/Ungespundet.
    herrburgess likes this.
  22. American IPAS and Imperial IPAs. As you can see from my handle and avatar, I am all about the hops.
  23. DIPA.
    But unfortunately it's like a game of Jenga. If a brewer doesn't do get the ingredients in balance (and "balance" in a DIPA can mean different things) the flavors come crashing down in a horrendous mess like no other style can do. And that is why I dislike a poor DIPA more than I dislike poor examples of other styles.

But damn I love a good DIPA.
  24. I could narrow it down to two:

Munich Helles
    American IPA/DIPA
  25. innominat

innominat Savant (335) Ireland Jun 20, 2012

German wheat beers and American IPA
  26. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (305) Washington Nov 26, 2008

American IPA/DIPA is what I'm really enjoying right now but I also still loved a good ESB. And, various Bocks.
  27. Spaten454

Spaten454 Savant (335) Louisiana Aug 23, 2012

Dopplebocks. Spaten Optimator fa life
  28. I really love a well-done Belgian pale ale
  29. cwreay90

cwreay90 Savant (365) Texas Nov 19, 2012

IPA all the way! Though, I don't limit myself to just that. I love lots of different styles. I'm a little bit a fiend for stouts as well. I guess IPAs just make my taste buds the most happy lol.
  30. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Mine changes constantly. Most recently it's been Old Ales, before that was Oktoberfests, before that was Belgian strong ales.

If I HAD to pick one style that I always love, it would probably be Oktoberfests.
  31. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

English Barleywines
    Imperial Stouts
    Old Ales
    Wheatwines

Cheers!
  32. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

BIG STOUT! Barrel aged high gravity brews. Fruity IPAs
    cwreay90 likes this.
  33. always a tough one to answer. ask me again next week and you might get two different responses. i guess it depends on my mood, or what type of kick i'm on... BA stouts and DIPAs are 2 that are usually at or around the top of my list.
    perrymarcus likes this.
  34. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

English Barleywines and -bal Barleywines would be my preferred style more often than not. DIPA would probably fall in there just behind.

Real talk, if I am honest with myself my favorite style is IPA. Even if I had unlimited access to Barleywines I would break it up with IPAs anyways.

Imperial Stouts have really slipped on me, unless we are talking Bell's BA Cherry, I still love the style but I really do not desire to drink them often.
  35. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

I have 2, IPA/DIPA an RIS....CHEERS
  36. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

DIPA'S IPA'S and Porters
  37. Either DIPA or Imperial Stout, very hard for me to choose as there are examples of both that I just love and I tend to drink an unholy amount of brews from both styles.
  38. Barleywine, but Imperial/Double IPA and Imperial stout (Russian or American) are close seconds.
  39. I've narrowed it down to three:
    1. Oatmeal Stout
    2. Amber Ale
    3. Oktoberfest-Marzen
  40. scootsmal

scootsmal Savant (250) New York Aug 15, 2012

IPA for sure