1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite beer style?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mtlasley, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

American Strong Ale, Tripel, and Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

2. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

American wild and gangham

luwak and CurtFromHershey like this.
  3. J8M

J8M Disciple (60) Dec 17, 2012

My favorite style was when girls in high school wore thigh-high stockings with plaid skirts.
    Regarding beer styles, my favorites are stouts, porters, and IPAs. I've been getting more into Belgians and sours lately, but I normally drink a style that fits the season (fall and winter are my favorites). My least favorite style is wheat beers.

4. Whatever SN is available.

Bocks (doppel, mai, eis) are probably my favorite. Dubbels and Belgian darks are also up there. (D)(I)PA's have really started to grab my interest the last few months too. Marzens always go down easy. Love a good porter or stout. I enjoy barleywines. Pilsners can hit the spot sometimes. So can brown ales.

So basically, "beer" is my favorite style.

5. You want an opinion on your post? --- uhh --- good for you! How's that?

Eastside151 likes this.
  6. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Spring/summer - IPAs
    Fall/winter - barleywine

7. steve666

steve666 Zealot (80) Indiana Aug 12, 2010

I like Ambers and Irish Reds.

HeyJim likes this.
  8. Hefes and Ales with a preference for Belgian style. I also like Dubbels and Quadrupels a lot for my dark beer this time of year, and lagers and IPA's in the summer.

9. DIPA and Saison

MammothBrew likes this.
  10. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I like lots of variety, if I start drinking too much of any one style I get burned out on it, but I guess if I had to pick then I'd have to say, DIPA.

11. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Its a toss up for me between IPA/DIPA's and Russian Imperial Stouts....CHEERS

12. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (350) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Stouts, definitely.

beermeright likes this.
  13. This is a difficult question.. My favorites are saison, imperial stout, and DIPA. It all depends on mood or setting really.

14. Maybe I'm sick (well, okay I *know* I am) but I love a good smoked beer. Every once in a while I run into a rauchbier, but it isn't very often. It really depends on the season--this is for cold weather. In warm weather a saison is what I crave.

RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  15. There are still sooooo many styles I haven't tried. American Stouts and IPA's are the favorite. In the early fall I was craving good lagers and pils. I have yet to explore many of the Belgian styles yet. That being said, I have a Trois Pistoles in the fridge now :). The only style I've tried that I didn't like was saisons. But my palette is always changing.

16. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Since we already can agree that style designations are blurry at best, I'll just say that I love best beers that are complex, prickly hop bombs, that run through pine, citrus, tropical fruit, and maybe even surprise me a bit! Stone fruit is a nice one, too.

17. od_sf

od_sf Savant (420) California Nov 2, 2010

Lambics, especially Gueuze.
    Belgian Pale Ales.
    Saison / Farmhouse Ales.
    American Wilds.

brikelly and PatriotsRule like this.
  18. An opinion on your favoritism for Porters? I think it's a wonderful choice. Is this what you're looking for? Or do you want my opinion on what style is my favorite? If so, it's IPA & DIPA.

Note: This is a joke, not trolling or some other adjective for reportable posts.

19. I understand the history, I was speaking specifically in terms of flavor.

luwak likes this.
  20. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

I can never decide on a 'favorite' style but I find myself mainly drinking Imperial Stouts, Belgian Strong Dark Ales, Barley Wines, Quads, Triples, Doubles, IPA's, and Sours. Yeah, I like too many beers to really have just one favorite style.

21. Same again.There has ceased to be any definable difference between the two; that topic has been aired quite exhaustively in previous threads.That hasn't stopped people from trying to define differences; it's a pointless exercise as it's always easy to find counter examples.It all depends on the whim of the brewer.

22. I haven't had a lot of porters, so I was really speaking from personal experience. There is not one porter I have had that I would take over any stout I've had. Oh well.

23. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

DIPA and Sours.

24. Lex_Talionis

Lex_Talionis Aficionado (110) Dec 13, 2012

American Imperial Stout

whendeathsleeps likes this.
  25. Quadrupels. Because my single favorite beer is one (Rochefort 10) and because I've never had one that I did not like.

26. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

So did you have that smoked saison from Stone recently then? I didnt bother trying it, I'm not a big smoke fan. I'm a big saison guy too.

27. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Belgian strong dark ale. Good examples blow my mind. They're strong, smooth, deceptive, and I love the complexities the belgian yeasts and sugars add. Achel Bruin extra is my favorite example.

28. alexipa

alexipa Savant (420) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Oktoberfest and BSDA.

29. beermeright

beermeright Disciple (60) Nov 4, 2012

I have gotten the chance to try some yummy Stouts both American and English styles. I prefer dark heavy flavorful beers so rich / creamy and delicious... also lots of brewers have been getting creative there is a minty milk stout i have been wanting to check out. I also had Barley wine style beer and lots of sours for the very first time this fall and those were good too def fun to try. (just a kid don't judge haha)

Next year I would like to broaden my tastes and try some more Belgian/ German/ Scottish beers.

30. I like the kind that comes in bottles, cans, and kegs.

31. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,010) Michigan May 5, 2010

Belgian Tripel, Saision

32. Hefeweizen...then, Dunkelweizen

RutgersBeerGuy likes this.
  33. American Strong Ales
    Imperial Reds
    Imperial Stouts (BA, RIS, Etc...)

34. It is so hard to pick a favorite, my beer mood is ever-changing. Right now I am big on Imperial Stouts.

35. dgeebs07

dgeebs07 Savant (280) New York Aug 6, 2011

when the wallet is thin..ipas and stouts

on payday..Belgians and Sours.

36. This.

37. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Bitter, preferably on cask.

alexipa likes this.
  38. Barleywine's both American and English, DIPA's and Dubbel's are probably tops for me. Followed by IPA's Stouts (all kinds) Porters, and Marzens.

39. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Can we put a poll up?

My vote goes for IPA.

40. Williams Bros do a porter (midnight sun) that is a lot better than their stout (March of the penguins) imo of course. The stout is still ok.

edit: of course I should say the porter is an excellent brew