1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite BMC beer to drink?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, May 23, 2012.

1. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

Anything the big large companies brew. I had no Idea Stella Atrois belonged to them, but that just shows how little I know.

For me, probably Blue Moon Belgian White. It got me going with the whole Craft Beer thing. Probably wouldn't be buy it again, but would have it if someone gave one to me.
  2. dcook11

dcook11 Savant (315) California May 13, 2010

3. bourbon county, juliet, lolita.
  4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

5. I plead the fifth on this one.
    bunique686, djrn2, Centennial and 2 others like this.
  6. tolar111

tolar111 Advocate (655) New York Aug 17, 2008

Beck's

[​IMG]
    4balance likes this.
  7. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

One of my guilty pleasures is still a cold Blue Moon. I have a huge problem with some BMC marketing tactics, but I'm not ashamed to admit I enjoy a Blue Moon on occasion. And I don't care what anyone says, their Christmas release from last year, Spiced Amber Ale seriously rivals any and all craft winter releases I've had.
  8. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i think it's pretty much all shit.
  9. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

When I go back to visit the frat house- anything thats on draft, it all tastes the same anyways.
    xxbillay likes this.
  10. tone77

tone77 Advocate (570) Pennsylvania May 20, 2009

Hoegaarden or Blue Moon
  11. this.
    cavedave likes this.
  12. Pilsner Urquell... tasty pils.
    diesel59, djrn2, Dagsy and 6 others like this.
  13. Still good but the SAB bean counters did their bit to "modernise" it and it suffered as a consequence.

One point-BMC do not make bad or shitty beer.They make beer which lots of people enjoy and even prefer.Just not what we want to drink.The fact that you or I wouldn't use it to put out a house fire doesn't make it bad.
    Yes, some is brewed with adjuncts but then so are many beers highly regarded by BAs.No worse in my book than adding coffee, fruit, pumpkins and anything else which IMO doesn't belong.
  14. None of them. Not even if free. Not even if my sweet old Grandma offers me one.
  15. dukes

dukes Aficionado (180) Apr 2, 2012

Pretty sure that is made by Dark Horse and not BMC :p
    albertq17, hardy008, robinsmv and 4 others like this.
  16. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

:) I want to agree, but in all honesty I can't. Not if we're including some of the craft breweries AB has partial or controlling interest in. There are a number of beers from Goose Island that are still pretty good (IMHO).
    Chickenhawk9932 and tarawho like this.
  17. I honestly still drink Amber Bock from time to time, first drink that got me to search more craft so its nice to go back to my roots i guess
  18. lefty12

lefty12 Aficionado (170) Texas Feb 6, 2010

I enjoy a Coors original during the hot summer days in Texas.
  19. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

The OP and some others here are using the term "BMC" in a different, and inaccurate way. Traditionally on this site it meant Bud, Miller, Coors, type beers - thin, fizzy, mass-produced adjunct lagers. PBR, Labatt, Rolling Rock, etc. were all BMC beers. It was never used to describe any beer owned by one of the big conglomerates. Hoegaarden and Blue Moon are not BMC beers, regardless of who owns them. Let's get back to using the term correctly.
    Hrodebert, maxcoinage, djrn2 and 3 others like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'd have to say if I had to choose between Bud Miller or Coors I'm a Coors man.

Now if it is breweries they own...I'd take Blue Moon.
  21. Tut

There is no Blue Moon brewery - it's brewed by Coors.
  22. GregorVance

GregorVance Zealot (85) New York Jul 8, 2011

OP stated anything the big guys brew. Which Hoegaarden falls under.
    beerguy2784 likes this.
  23. You must think some of the shit is less offensive other shit?

For me its blue moon or bud heavy.
  24. That beer was actually pretty tasty from what I remember.
  25. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

In that case my answer is just Blue Moon then.
    tarawho likes this.
  26. MillerCoors has apparently renamed their Sandlot Brewery at Coors Field in Denver "The Blue Moon Brewing Co. at the Sandlot" - I think they did it just to make liars of us ;)

But, of course, the Blue Moon beers in normal distribution are products of MillerCoors breweries.
    tronester likes this.
  27. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Not entirely 100% the case. There's the Blue Moon brewery inside Coors Field which brews certain Blue Moon seasonals and the Sandlot beers.

On the topic of my favorite BMC, if we're talking their whole portfolio, I'll take Spaten/Franziskaner or Lowenbrau.
    If we're talking about what people usually think of when they say BMC (their US beers), I'll take normal Michelob or Michelob Dunkelweiss.
    If we can include anything owned by BMC, give me some AC Golden barrel aged sours or the infamouse Barman Pils.
  28. Tut

It doesn't matter what he stated, he's using the term wrong. The term BMC has been in use here for many years and has a specific meaning that has been understood by everyone. His thread title was "What is your favorite BMC beer to drink?" Traditionally, the answers would be limited to mass-produced, adjunct lagers.

Given the intent of his thread, he should have said "What is your favorite beer brewed by the big international brewing companies" or something similar.

Now some are even grouping Spaten/Franziskaner and Lowenbrau as BMC beers. This will be confusing to many new BA's and render the term BMC useless as an acronym on this site.
    Bobator likes this.
  29. What makes this question so problematic is that the question includes "to drink". Kinda closes up my answering possibilities. So, my favorite BMC beer to drink is: none of the above.
  30. GregorVance

GregorVance Zealot (85) New York Jul 8, 2011

"Anything the big large companies brew." Not the title, but lays it out pretty straightforward there.

And I doubt one thread will eliminate the specific meaning that has been used here for years. No need to take someone to task over this.

And for my answer to the OP, I enjoy a Mich Amber Bach and Leffe Brun. And on a nice hot day, Budweiser.
  31. beerguy2784

beerguy2784 Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012

Also english is a living language. If people use a word, saying, or acronym in a way that disagrees with you or tradition, that doesn't make it wrong. Enough people clearly understood such that one could reasonably conclude that the acronym has multiple meanings or means different things to different groups of people.
    CaptJackHarkness and tarawho like this.
  32. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I'm not sure they count, but the only one is PBR, while bowling.

Cheers!
    BrownAleMale and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  33. It was Pilsner Urquell, but when I found out BMC owned them I had to put it down for good. I know some will call me a snob for that, so be it, but I don't want any of my money supporting Ab-inbev/Miller-Coors, even if they make a great brew.
    Horbar likes this.
  34. moester13

moester13 Aficionado (125) Nebraska May 27, 2010

Love a can of Stroh's now and again. Getting harder and harder to find around me though, so I generally get PBR or High life
    seakayak likes this.
  35. farts

farts Aficionado (130) Illinois Sep 9, 2009

Old Style tall boys.
    Plissken and JuniperJesus like this.
  36. That's a common enough argument which has some truth in it. Not the same though as being entirely true.A number of people use this argument to justify the misuse of a word or phrase.Language isn't much use if we don't know what people actually mean.
    Bobator, tronester and Tut like this.
  37. Tut

So according to you, it's perfectly ok for people to use the term Sours as if it's a recognized beer style, to call Blue Moon a Belgian beer, to use the term Trappist beer as if it was a style and apply it to American craft beers that imitate one of them, or to use the term Lambic in reference to any American "wild ale"

There's a reason scientific terminology is very specific and used throughout the world - so everyone will know exactly what is being discussed and to avoid confusion and misinterpretation. I stand by my posts.
    Bobator and tronester like this.
  38. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

That's true only up to a point. In particular it does not mean that anybody who chooses to use a certain term in a certain way is right, if that differs with the accepted usage in the relevant community.

So the question is, what exactly does "BMC" mean here on BA? I'm inclined to treat it as the three specific companies, including all of their subsidiaries. But I admit I started doing that because a fair number of - especially new - BAs seemed to be unaware that these companies owned and brewed a lot of "better beer" brands. So it was an educational mission.

So to the OP's question, my answer is: Matilda.
    Bobator likes this.
  39. Budweiser American Ale. Haven't seen it around lately, though.
    sfsean28 likes this.