What is your favorite BMC beer to drink?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, May 23, 2012.

1. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

After years of not having any of the big 3, I sat down and did BA-style critical tastings of Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light the same way I'd do with any fine craft (instead of just gulping them absently as in a normal BMC setting). Turns out Coors Light was the least offensive of the three. Bud and Miller shared similarly weird, synthetic perfumy off notes alongside cardboard notes. I never noticed that back in my young BMC days - it was just "beer flavor" back then because it was what it was and I never tried to parse flavor notes - but there it is. Coors Light didn't have the gross perfume sweetness and I don't think I remember cardboard either. It had less flavor overall too. So while not a good as a beer, it was inoffensive as a liquid. I can tolerate any of them just fine if I find myself at a ballpark or something and that's all they've got, but it will be hard to untaste the bad flavor notes now.

2. I never quite understand these debates about the big brewers, probably because they tend (not always) conflate two different issues which beer drinkers (especially beer geeks) have with them.

(1, Commodity) That Big Brewers are commodity-brewers who rely mostly on marketing (sometimes misleading the consumer into thinking they are drinking craft, like Blue Moon) and have a tendency to be hostile to local and smaller brewers. If you're the type of person who is into buying local either for environmental ("think local, act global") or economic (helping out your community, which brewers are a valuable part of) then this is the real problem with big brewers.

(2, Taste) That Big Brewers make poor quality, low taste products with adjuncts that tend to lower the standard of beer drinking and reduce popular expectations as to what beer might be. If you're into drinking good beer and writing tasting notes, then this is likely going to be your problem with Big Brewers. So, Goose Island, for example, being bought out by Big Brewers isn't bad, in this case, as long as standards don't suffer.

They are clearly inter-twined somewhat, as commodification and homogenization can damage the taste, but really, we need to be clear on why -exactly- we don't like big brewers, that is, if you don't like them. I'm concerned with local jobs and the brewery being a part of the community and taste, but, honestly, the community engagement is really important to me. If a big brewery seems really committed to that then I'm less concerned about their product, even if it is only ok. Though, again, I like good quality beer too, so it's hard to find a balance.

Anyway, here is a little list of the "Big Brewers" to the best of my knowledge! It might be useful!

World's Largest Brewers by Revenue

(1) AB InBev (Keiths, Labatt Blue, Leffe, Hoegaarden, Bud Light, Beck's, Budweiser, Stella Artois) 2010 Revenue $36 billion USD.

(2) Heineken International (Newcastle, Cruzcampo, Tiger Beer, Żywiec, Murphy’s, Heineken) 2010 Revenue $21 billion USD.

(3) SABMiller (Grolsch, Miller Genuine Draft, Peroni Nastro Azzurro and Pilsner Urquel) 2011 Revenue $19 billion USD.

(4) Carlsberg Group (Carlsberg, Tuborg, Kronenbourg) 2010 Revenue $10 billion USD.

(5) Molson-Coors (Coors, Blue Moon, Carling, Caffrey's, Dos Equis, Molson, Creemore, Granville Island, Rickards) 2011 Revenue $5.2 billion USD.

(Bonus #1) Diageo (Guinness, Tusker, Smithwick's, Red Stripe, Harp Lager, Kilkenny). Because they do other liquors/wines the comparison is not fair, but 2011 Revenue $13 billion USD.

(Bonus #2) Sapporo Brewery (Unibroue, Sleeman, Sapporo) 2011 Revenue something like 5.5 Billion USD, but I cannot find the source I used for this one.

Chaz and Errto like this.
  3. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Highlife

4. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (330) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Labatt Blue...First beer I got drunk off of when I was 16. Makes me kind of have a soft spot for it. I never buy it but when I'm offered one I don't turn it down.

egomaniac667 likes this.
  5. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

They had to free up space to make more Bud Light Platinum, would be my guess...

6. PBR and Blue Moon

7. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

It isn't exactly BMC but I love a black and tan now and again. And if it's AAL you're after, it whichever one is on sale at the show I'm going to.

8. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

I thought Labatt was owned by North American Breweries.

9. The US rights to the Labatt brand are owned by NAB - still part of the A-BInBev empire in Canada.

10. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

BCBCS

Bobheed likes this.
  11. Hoegarden and newcastle.

12. I drink my fair share of Hoegarden during the summer, great Wit beer. And I'm also not afraid to pound down copious amounts of PBR when playing shows, or attending them. Can't beat $1.50 tallboys all night.

13. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

A rare occurrence, but Schlitz. If there's no Schlitz, Pabst. If there's no Pabst, High Life, but by that point I'm more inclined to just drink water.

14. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

The only time I ever seem to drink Pabst or Schlitz is in the company of local/small-time rock'n'roll. If it's likely I'll end up wearing half of my drink on my shirt, I drink cheap.

RattleheadKV2 likes this.
  15. John_M

"If it's likely I'll end up wearing half of my drink on my shirt, I drink cheap."

This is probably the best reason I have ever heard for drinking BMC stuff.

16. Ok, I'm confused about this Labatt thing. On NAB's website it says "Labatt Blue is imported daily from Canada." In Canada Labatt is brewed by AB-Inbev. Is NAB just selling the Canadian Blue or are they brewing their own version because they own the name rights in the US?

My favorite adjunct-lager is Black Horse. One of Canada's (more so Quebec's) oldest and most iconic beers, now only brewed by Molson Newfoundland.

17. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Optimator, Hamm's, and Keystone Ice.

18. Part of the deal InBev made with the US government to allow them to buy A-B without violating US anti-trust laws was to spin off the Labatt brand in the US - mostly because along the Great Lake states Labatt had a large share of the market and combining it with A-B brands would be anti-competitive.

So, NAB bought the US rights to the brand, with the temporary agreement with the Feds that they could continue to import ABInBev-brewed Labatt for the first few years, but after that they'd also have to find another brewer OR brew it themselves. NAB choose (after apparently some pressure from their distributors who wanted it to continue to be an "Import") to continue to have it brewed in Canada and eventually picked---Molson --- (go figure, right? Most thought they'd go with the mostly choice- Sleeman) to brew it under license. NAB does brew some newer Labatt brands - which may be US only? - like Labatt Lime and a recent "heritage" series at their Rochester (Genesee) brewery, but the Blue and the Light continue to be imported from Canada, now brewed by Molson.

Black Horse Ale from Dawes was once ('40's-'50s) a big Canadian import in the US. It eventually was brewed in the US by several breweries - supposedly because Carling (pre-Molson merger) let the US trademark lapse- by Fred Koch (NY), Diamond Springs (MA), Metropolis (NJ) and finally Genesee. It was among the most famous US ales, pre-craft era. Seems to have died after a few years after Genesee bought the Koch brands in the mid-80's. Obviously, with it being a lager now there's no connection to the US ale of the same name.

fooziex likes this.
  19. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (305) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

PBR, Labatt, High Life, in that order.

Blech. Gotta stab a speedhole in it to make 'em go away FAST.

20. I don't have time for BMC.
    Too many good beers to try.

5thOhio likes this.
  21. Black horse is older then that even! It was a Quebec brand owned and brewed by Dawes since 1811. They were bought out by Dows brewery (another Quebec brewery) to form the Quebec giant National Breweries Limited in 1909. Canadian Breweries Limited (Taylor's bit of evil) bought out National in 1952, but kept the name "Dow" Black Horse Ale for both domestic and export markets. In 1962 Canadian Breweries Limited bought out a Newfoundland Brewery, Bennett Brewing Limited, and started production of Black Horse Ale in Newfoundland. Canadian Breweries Limited soon became Carling-O'Keefe, which, soon enough, became Molson, which, again, soon enough, became Molson-Coors. The brand that exists in Newfoundland is, at least in copyright and name, the same one. It's been lager-ized over the years and made to fit with Molson's portfolio in Newfoundland. To this day most Newfoundlander's will swear that it's a uniquely Newfoundland beer, without knowing how popular it's namesake once was thought North America. See the current bottle design and head sticker.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Note the same horse, that same black horse, from the export label (it's a black horse porter picture, whatever, same horse).

[​IMG]

I have more information (old labels from the 1800's and 1900's) on this at http://nlbeerhistory.com if anyone is interested in this genealogy...

shand likes this.
  22. There's not really any one I won't drink, but I've always liked Labatt Blue.

23. John_M

Amen!

24. Great avatar, otisp! An underappreciated duo.

25. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

genesee cream ale, PBR, or Coors original if you don' t count the first two...........

26. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Not true, there is a Blue Moon Brewery as well as AC Golden, yes Coors owns them both and yes Coors brews Blue Moon, but there is indeed a Blue Moon Brewery where it began and still active.

http://www.bluemoonbrewingcompany.com/

It's now called the Blue Moon Brewery at the Sandlot... I know I was just there on Sunday. And yes they brew beer there, no they don't brew Blue Moon there, but it is indeed a separate and active brewery.

27. Michelob or Molson Export

Michelob was the first beer my crew used to be able to get in H.S. I have no idea why that brand... (was happy to have anything)

Molson Export since Dad and I shared one when I got from taking the SAT.. (many years ago)
    SO, both are based on nice memories.

tolar111 likes this.
  28. Right up there with the classic duos. Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, Bonnie & Clyde.

29. Good one! Ha!!!!!

30. I am not a BMC drinker. I would drink a BMC over PBR any day of the week.
    The day I drink PBR I might as well put on skinny jeans, grab a pair of neon sunglasses, buy tickets to some awful unknown underground shitty band, roll my own cigs and say yaaaaaaaaa all the time.

Haydn-Juby likes this.
  31. imasloth

imasloth Aficionado (200) Texas Jan 22, 2011

Using BMC in its yellow fizzy beer denotation, Schlitz. I think I fell for their 1960s formula ploy ...

32. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

So no Goose Island?

33. Haven't bought any in the last 2 or so years. If I am reaching for something "lighter" it usually ends up being Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Also, if I am at a bar with no craft I usually end up buying PBR cans because they are fairly tolerable and usually like $2.50/16oz.

34. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

BTW I am sitting on a throne of PBR that came out to over a literal ton of beer :)

35. i like them all...i dont understand the purpose of craft beer

BlakeBelsly, Hanzo and beerme411 like this.
  36. None. If I'm at a place with only BMC stuff, I usually get bourbon

37. Extra Gold. To me, it seems more flavorable than most other BMC beers. Can actually detect some hops in there. Good icy cold on a hot summer day.

38. Nathaniel E. Light....think about it.

39. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

This...

40. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Highlife, Coors Light, King Henry, Hamms.