1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite BMC beer to drink?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, May 23, 2012.

1. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

By BMC, I'm guessing the OP means an American Adjunct Lager. So I'd have to go with High Life. Old Style and Leinenkugel Original were nice as well.
  2. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Michelob has my vote.started with back in the early 70's, still think it is good.
    Chaz and keithmurray like this.
  3. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Budweiser American Ale was probably the best offering from AB I've tried ( that wasn't bought from another brewery). I only had it once and I'm not sure it's brewed anymore.

Hoegaarden is decent. So is Blue Moon and Blue Grand Cru, although the Grand Cru is overpriced.
  4. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

My favorite is the free one that I get to turn down as I thumb my nose at the person who offered it. I'm excited to see what the next question thread will be.
  5. In terms of tellow fizzy: Stroh's, Hamm's, Schlitz, Carling Black Label, High Life...
    seakayak likes this.
  6. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Budweiser ftw.

An excellent interpretation of an American Adjunct Lager.
  7. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

That's the only denotation that should be used. Glad to see some here get it.
  8. High Life or Coors Original.
  9. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

Once again, Pabst Blue Ribbon IS a BMC beer. The term does not refer to any and all beers produced by those breweries or the international conglomerates that now own them. The term has been in use on this site since the 90's. When the acronym first became popular, people called them BMC type beers. The meaning was obvious and universally understood here. Later, the term was shortened to BMC beer(s) to make a quick, easy reference to ANY bland, pale, mass-produced, adjunct lager. Labatt Blue, Narraganset, Olympia, Rolling Rock, Genesee, Schlitz, are all BMC beers. When someone refered to BMC drinkers, they meant people who drink that TYPE of beer, and we all knew it.

Now we've got a lot of young, newer members(which is good) who think they can use the term any old way they want - most likely because they simply aren't aware of it's traditional usage. It's gotten absolutely ridiculous. Some are even calling Hoegaarden, Franziskaner hefeweizen, and Newcastle BMC beers.:confused:

I hope this little history lesson helps some of you get with the program before the term becomes totally useless. Would you start calling Guinness a BMC beer if it's parent company was bought by one of the conglomerates?? Let's stop this nonsense.
  10. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (390) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

I still drink Budweiser. Goose Island brews are very good. When Bud american Ale came out I drank it all the time. Michelob Amber Bock is my favorite AB product and the one I misssed the most is Killarney's.
  11. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

Leinenkugels or Molson Canadian (not triple X or ice or w/e)
  12. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Agreed. BMC actually has many good brews, I just like to support local, and smaller breweries than BMC.
    Providence likes this.
  13. DSho

DSho Aficionado (185) Florida Sep 6, 2011

Coors, high life......
  14. PBR is one of my go-to "regular" beers. I've found that it's the cheapest one that actually tastes like a beer. That and while it does lack in some flavor and definition, I love to drink it because it makes me appreciate craft beer that much more. High Life will also hold a special place in my heart. It was the first beer that I ever stole from my dad.
  15. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (900) New York Aug 25, 2010

Surely this is a trick question. There is no such thing as a favorite BMC beer to drink.
    jrnyc likes this.
  16. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

If I had to pick one, I would pick Bud Light since I can drink a lot of them and it doesn't give me much of a hangover, at least compared to other beers. Miller and Coors Light don't agree with me as much.
  17. Coors Golden and Olde English
  18. Budweiser on tap.
  19. Would you still wear Red Sox headgear?
  20. Manoftyr

Manoftyr Savant (270) New York May 6, 2009

Bud Light Platinum, doesn't taste too terrible and the ABV gets the job done so to speak.
  21. Mickeys
    BlakeBelsly likes this.
  22. Blue Moon was kind of my gateway into craft so I'd say that. I've noticed it's gotten a bit thinner and way more orangey over the years though (of course it would). I don't mind Killian's either. And, of course, Hoegaarden, Franziskaner, etc.
  23. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Pabst Blue Ribbon, Carling's Black Label, Molson Canadian, the odd High Life here and there. In the last year the go to session stuff for me outside of craft has been Genesee and Yuengling, especially now that Lord Chesterfield & Yuengling Porter have arrived in Ohio.
  24. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Bud American Ale isn't bad, Coors Batch 19 is decent (both for what they are)
    If I have to, I'd go MGD, possibly Red Dog, or just cola.
  25. High Life or no life
  26. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Pabst or Rainier if I want something cheap when I'm at a show or a bar with nothing good on tap.
  27. owned by BMC ....Hoegaarden and Franziskaner

shitty cheap beer in large quantity . . . Bud Light
  28. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

Saw this on a google search so I had to bump this and comment.

Grain Belt Preimuim, it's almost got a blueberry quality. It's brewed by Schell's, a traditional German craft brewery in New Ulm, MN, but it's definately a BMC by the accepted terms of this thread. They also brew the original Grain Belt recipe Nordeast, which is darker and maltier. It's the friendly Minnesota nice beer!
  29. Vaison

Vaison Aficionado (190) Delaware Aug 27, 2010

Rolling Rock
    or Pacifico for my Mexican version - I gotta have it when I eat at a Mexican restaurant, don't give me that Corona crap.
  30. Czechvar in the US is no longer imported by ABI's Import Brand Alliance, if that why you mention it as a "BMC" beer (since it's not a adjunct lager, either). Budějovický Budvar cancelled that contract as of this summer, and moved the import rights to US Beverage (best known for importing some Heineken-owned brands like Murphy's, Kalik, John Smith's).
  31. thanks always with up to date stats why did Budejovicky Budvar cancel the contract?
  32. Thanks just read it also ive noticed that Czechvar is out of stock at a few stores or low inventory on shelves
  33. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

34. Crackerroll

Budweiser American Ale IS a good beer actually. I'm wondering if they quit brewing it?? I haven't seen it for a long time either.
  35. High Life
    PBR
    Keystone Light

All three are cheap and help to offset the money I spend on other beers. I'll usually have a few craft beers and then finish off the night with a couple of the beers mentioned above. After a few IPAs it really doesn't matter what you drink, why waste a flavorful brew...
  36. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I'm pretty sure Budweiser American Ale is a goner, probably due to the stronger than expected sales of Platinum. American Ale dried up around my neck of the woods right when Platinum came out...
  37. Crackerroll

Platinum...meh...I refuse to try it and I live in St. Louis. Screw Inbev.