1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite BMC beer to drink?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by raynmoon, May 23, 2012.

1. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I'm scared of my iPhone auto correct. But you know what I meant.

You make valid points, yet at the same time my brain very easily distinguishes the meaning within the context of each statement. When describing an assortment in the beer section at a supermarket if all they have is InBev, SABMiller (adjuncts, Blue Moon, Leffe, Hoegarden)etc, I would feel very comfortable calling it a "BMC only assortment." If someone said "all they have at Busch stadium is BMC", I would say "but at least you can find Goose Island" (which by the expanded definition is BMC but I'd know that wasn't what they meant). Its just not that difficult for me.

Having said that, I respect your purist intentions and would have been okay with you expressing your opinion just like everyone else has, but I suggest you tone down the insulting rhetoric. It reeks of BA elitism (and of anger management issues). Its like you're mad that more and more people like beer now (pretty much the point of being a BA) or that some younger folks have come of age in the last 15 years and now participate on BA rather than collecting Pokemon. Perhaps what you really want is a "Crotchety Old fart" BA forum. The worst part about this is I don't think I have ever been flamed by someone on here until now, and its on the WORST possible topic. It would be one thing if we were arguing best IIPAs or something, but we are talking about BMC. C'mon man.

phooky and BMitch like this.
  2. mfdish

mfdish Aficionado (120) Nevada Oct 30, 2011

Highlife or Pabst Blue Ribbon

3. Tut

Tut Savant (425) New York Sep 23, 2004

This isn't the only thread or conversation where new members have been using the term this way. Just because you may understand the difference doesn't mean the next guy does. Get back to using the term correctly.

4. Old Style (it's fully kraeusened you know.)

5. HardyA

HardyA Savant (345) Michigan Jan 26, 2013

Landshark with a lime on a hot summer day

SpAiReArGsEonNE likes this.
  6. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Hamm's, PBR. Does Tecate count?

Re: PBR, I grew up in Milwaukee when it was literally an old man's beer. But it was the first beer I ever drank, from a 7 oz can for my beer can collection, given to me by my dad. Hell, the Packers were probably on the TV. Hipsters aside, I enjoy it as a swill beer, even though it's no longer brewed in Beer City.

7. I guess if BMC = AAL:

Grain Belt Premium

8. Blue moon in the summer.

9. miller high life, molson canadian, rolling rock and corona

10. Bigrock

Bigrock Aspirant (25) Texas Feb 4, 2013

Coors Original

11. Tut

The Bros used it back in the nineties too, the way all of us who were members then used it. The way it's always been used until now. Why not tell them you don't give a damn about what went on here before you joined in 2010? Make sure you insult them for being "old" too.

12. Dos Equis Amber
    Negra Modelo
    or
    Indio

13. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Savant (360) Michigan Sep 2, 2013

Blue Moon goes down mighty good some times.
    I don't understand how a good beer, all of a sudden becomes a bad beer, when the ownership changes hands.
    BMC means the same thing now that it meant 20 years ago. Only the scope has changed. It will continue to change.

14. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (735) California Dec 15, 2012

I didn't care much for Coors Batch 19 or Bud's Black Crown. I liked Bud's Lime-A-Rita over those two. :)

I haven't had one in a long time, but Blue Moon is okay with me.

15. Brokejaw

Brokejaw Aficionado (145) Iowa Oct 3, 2013

Blue Moon actually is pretty good...

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  16. Heineken Light, Goose Island IPA, Stella Artois

17. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (205) Texas Jan 27, 2013

Always like stella

18. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

But does it have to?

19. shawnp

shawnp Savant (480) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Blue Moon is good. I'll catch flak for it but I enjoy it.

20. Not technically BMC but I love a cold Tecate on certain occasions; after a long day fishing during hot months, WHILE fishing during hot months, sitting by the pool during hot months, or whenever I'm in Mexico.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  21. I like my bmc like I like my coffee....I don't drink coffee

22. FinchSCF

FinchSCF Savant (270) Michigan Aug 22, 2013

Within the rules? Blue Moon
    Cheating a little? Labatt Blue

23. I definitely enjoy a Blue Moon now and then. On the AAL spectrum, PBR and High Life get the job done occasionally.

24. TroyS62

TroyS62 Savant (290) Vermont Sep 6, 2013

busweiser,coors

25. Jirin

Jirin Savant (360) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2013

Blue Moon, definitely. It's a solid "Restaurant with bad beer list" fallback.

26. Bourbon county

MarshallBirdhouse likes this.
  27. WIED

WIED Aficionado (150) Montana Jan 14, 2008

Oly.

28. KentT

KentT Aficionado (215) Tennessee Oct 15, 2008

Blue Moon
    Michelob Dunkelweiss

29. cello

cello Aficionado (140) Pennsylvania Oct 17, 2013

I like my coffee like I like my women... without a penis. On that note I drink Yuengling Lager. (out of a can) Does that count?

30. Tut

Blue Moon is not a BMC beer. The term refers to Bud, Miller, Coors, type beers - thin, fizzy, adjunct lagers, not just any beer brewed by the big international conglomerates.

You caught flack, but not the kind you expected. ;)

31. Doesnt count. If it did then Narragansett would count. I cant even get Yuengling in my state and if it counted as BMC beer it would be sold in every damn state.

32. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Lately I've been on a Coors Banquet kick. I had a glass with some BBQ and ended up going out and buying a 12-pack. I honestly really like it for a "whenever" beer.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  33. Tut

You're right that it means the same thing here that it always did. It's an acronym we've long used to describe fizzy, yellow, adjunct lagers made by Bud, Coors, Miller, etc. Labatt Blue is also a BMC beer. It refers to a specific type of beer. Blue Moon and anything by Goose Island are not BMC beers, regardless of corporate ownership.

It's the newer members who are misusing and distorting the term because they haven't been here long enough to understand the way it's always been used on Beer Advocate.