1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite lager style?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by offthelevel_bytheplumb, Sep 13, 2013.

?

What is your favorite lager style?

1. Dortmunder/Helles

14.8%
  2. Pilsner

25.3%
  3. Oktoberfest

15.3%
  4. Vienna

6.3%
  5. Dunkel

6.3%
  6. American Red/Amber

4.0%
  7. Bock

2.9%
  8. Doppelbock

22.2%
  9. Eisbock

1.3%
  10. AAL/Malt Liquor

1.6%
  1. Everyone on this site talks about ales (primarily IPAs), so I took it upon myself to give the lagers a little bit of attention. I personally like pilsners, but dortmunders are a close 2nd.

creepinjeeper, Kyrojack and beergrrl like this.
  2. I love lager. Lots of different sorts, but Helles is probably my favourite type.

Providence likes this.
  3. You left a few off the list. CAP, Rauchbier, Schwartzbier and a few more.

4. Ive been drinking a bunch of Oktoberfests since they came out and I safely say they not my favorite style. Give me a hoppy pilsner and I would say thats my favorite style. Its great because I get the hop presence I want but I dont get the bitterness that an ipa has.

5. Pils, followed closely by Marzens.

aasher and victory4me like this.
  6. I love Exports and Heller Bocks

7. I know, and I was waiting for someone to say something. I put on the 10 that I figured most would vote for.

8. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

And my true favorite Keller Bier! So I went with #2, Pilsner.

Errto and yemenmocha like this.
  9. Beric

Beric Savant (430) Massachusetts Jun 1, 2013

I find few beers more refreshing than a crisp, bready German pils with the perfect amount of hop presence. Southwest German pilsners from Rothaus and Alpirsbacher were perfect, and I've never found anything that comes close back in the states. However, I've also not had Prima Pils or Noble Pils yet, which I'm told fit that sort of description.

Incidentally, I accidentally hit Dortmunder/Helles in the poll, so chalk one up mentally for pils. o_O

yemenmocha likes this.
  10. Had poor spelling on the black bier, fixed.

11. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

I like all of those but voted helles.

yemenmocha and TongoRad like this.
  12. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Whatever style of lager that the Jack's Abby Smoked Maple Lager is. Also, Backpocket's Peated Scottish Lager. Those are my favorties. Both are a darker, a bit smokey and a bit sweet. Not like a straight up Rauchbier, which are just too smokey for me most of the time.

13. grumpy

grumpy Savant (405) Missouri May 24, 2005

The eisbock moniker is interesting in the context of your question. Some beers referred to as eisbocks started out as ales, so depending on how you choose to define the word, some may not be lagers in the classic, basic sense.

To your question, I am equally fond of doppelbocks and double/imperial pilsners. The next tier for me would be classic pils, helles bock, and bock. Lots of good lagers out there.

Dupage25 likes this.
  14. Schwartzbier takes it for me... needed that option but I see above why it wasnt on the list.

CBlack85 and yemenmocha like this.
  15. garuda

garuda Savant (485) Pennsylvania Jan 18, 2010

Oktoberfest, and anything by Schlenkerla.

TheBishopco, dianimal and Handle like this.
  16. Darned, Scwarzbier. Engineers can't spell.

17. Kellerbier.

joelwlcx, yemenmocha, jeebeel and 2 others like this.
  18. Classic American Pilsner.

19. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

For me, it's a toss up between Baltic porter, Rauchbier and Schwarzbier.

That being said, I really enjoy lots of the lagers listed.

20. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

Oktoberfest because it's my favorite time of the year and it goes great with a lot of the foods I enjoy eating while watching football like pizza, sausages, or brats.

yemenmocha likes this.
  21. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

Pilsner

yemenmocha likes this.
  22. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

It's hard for me to pick just one.. I love Kellerbiers, Pilseners, Dortmunders, Marzens, Doppelbocks..

23. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

Doppelbocks and rauchbiers. I have not tried a lot of the other lager styles yet.

yemenmocha likes this.
  24. nova73

nova73 Aficionado (155) New York Jun 7, 2006

Schwartzbier is my favorite lager style by far

CBlack85, yemenmocha and OldhouseRecs like this.
  25. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

26. I voted Dopplebock but I enjoy all of the Bocks. Maibock is probably my favorite.

27. Pils, specifically of the German variety (versus Czech)

Also, Maibock.

Providence and yemenmocha like this.
  28. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (810) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

It's tough being a dunkle fan, because it's got to be the most underbrewed style in America.

29. Mongrel

Mongrel Savant (455) Maryland Feb 14, 2013

Big fan of noble pils, like Scrimshaw and SA Noble Pils. Also imperials pils like My Antonia.

yemenmocha and bryce888 like this.
  30. DOTU

DOTU Savant (345) California Feb 11, 2011

same

CBlack85 likes this.
  31. Me too. There ain't nothing like a few liters of Augustiner- it just keeps getting better and better as you drink it..

All the rest (including the ones not on the list) are tied for a close second.

Tell me about it. Dunkels are pretty much where I started my beer journey, and I still have a great affection for them.

Good Dunkels, and Traditional Bocks, are very few and far between. I can get pretty fresh Ayinger whenever I want it, though- at least I'm in an area where that moves off of the shelf.

32. bryce888

bryce888 Disciple (70) California Aug 20, 2013

I second Shrimshaw....

33. It's got to be pilsner for me. Just had a Kernel Brewery Imperial Brown Stout, then a SN Torpedo, followed by a SN Pale Ale. Now drinking a Radeberger pilsner and, let me tell you, it totally holds its own with those wonderful beers. A good German pils, in my experience, can stand up to any other beer in terms of aroma, flavour and even complexity. Being into beer and not liking pale lager is a bit like loving wine but not liking white wine. What wine expert would say that? Great thread by the way.

34. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I've heard many "wine-lovers" actually say this...and you're right, it is similar.

Roguer likes this.
  35. gory4d

gory4d Advocate (505) New York Apr 14, 2007

Just to be clear, my vote for Oktoberfest is really for gravity kegs of Franconian Marzen.

Edit: with kellerbier a close second - again, especially in gravity kegs.

herrburgess likes this.
  36. Definitely India Pale Lager.

37. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Dunkel

yemenmocha likes this.
  38. Oktoberfest, but there are many choices that I love too like Vienna, dunkel, and amber.

yemenmocha likes this.
  39. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

for some reason I suspect that someone will come along and complain that IPA isn't an option anyway. ;);)