1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite lager style?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by offthelevel_bytheplumb, Sep 13, 2013.

?

What is your favorite lager style?

1. Dortmunder/Helles

14.8%
  2. Pilsner

25.3%
  3. Oktoberfest

15.3%
  4. Vienna

6.3%
  5. Dunkel

6.3%
  6. American Red/Amber

4.0%
  7. Bock

2.9%
  8. Doppelbock

22.2%
  9. Eisbock

1.3%
  10. AAL/Malt Liquor

1.6%
  1. See post #37.
  2. nyyfanatic213

nyyfanatic213 Savant (355) New York Aug 24, 2011

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold is one of the greatest beers I have ever had
  3. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

Celebrator and Korbinian all the way!
  4. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Voted bock, but my favorite is really Maibock.
  5. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

And yet some accuse me of being cynical.
  6. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I'm there with you. Can't recall if Maibock is just a variety of helles bock or not. I thought it was.
  7. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

I always considered Maibock and Helles Bock two names for the same style. Could be wrong, but that's my take.
  8. BeerFan

BeerFan Savant (320) New Jersey Feb 11, 2003

I always thought of Hellles/Heller bocks as being closer to gold in color, while Maibocks closer to light amber. Also, I associate Maibocks with spring/May.
  9. After going back and forth between Helles and pilsner, I decided on Dortmunder/Helles. Although to be fair, I haven't given Dunkels and Vienna lagers the same amount of attention. If I head back (no wait, WHEN I head back) to Germany I'd like to try some great examples of these.
    herrburgess likes this.
  10. I picked pilsner, not so much the Czech variety, but rather more towards German.
    LambicPentameter and Crusader like this.
  11. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Dortmunder
  12. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Dunkles Märzen or Tmavé Speciální Pivo.
  13. marzen which isn't listed
  14. Schwartzbier!
    CBlack85 likes this.
  15. German pilsner.
    LambicPentameter and Crusader like this.
  16. I think I've read that somewhere too. But what's in a name....? :p
  17. octoberfests! the only reason the coming of fall doesnt make me jump off the verrazano
  18. I voted doppelbock, but I'd definitely have gone with schwarzbier given the option.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Me too. Nice dry pils is great, but the fresh bready Bavarian nectar is hard to beat.
  20. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

This is a really hard poll for me, as I love them all, and if I just HAD to choose I would say Pilsner and Helles are tied...love them both equally for different reasons.
  21. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

My vote goes to pilsner, and German pilsners especially. Dry, clean, bitter. Whether ending with herbal notes from the hops a la Jever, or with bready notes a la Bitburger, both kinds are delicious.
    LambicPentameter and yemenmocha like this.
  22. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

[​IMG]
    Case in point, Melleruds Utmärkta Pilsner. 4.8% abv, 11.3 degrees plato (same as Bitburger), 30IBU, Pilsner and Münchener malt, Hallertau Magnum and Saaz hops (Magnum for bittering, Saaz for late boil). It's dry, it's clean, it has a nice bitterness and it finishes dry with bready notes (again, like Bitburger). This is really, really good, it gives Bitburger a run for its money, literaly, as I now have a Swedish pilsner that can match the German imports at the same price. It's brewed by Spendrups which is the second largest macro brewer in Sweden, yet it's not made with caramel malts that drown it in sweetness, it's not made with fruits, not made with lemonade. It's just a straight up tasty pilsner-style beer.
  23. Morey

Morey Advocate (525) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Can't believe that Eisbocks aren't getting a little more love. I appreciate almost all styles of beer, but in the Lager world, I love the complexity and hard work that goes into brewing Eisbocks.

That being said, I love me some Prima Pils!

24. Give me a half liter of Augustiner Helles, big frothy head, a pretzel with german mustard, on a bright sunny day; cant be beat.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  25. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Ooh-this is a tough one. You left off a few major competitors for me (maibocks, schwartzbiers, rauchs), so it was easy to just go with maerzens. As had been pointed out in recent threads, there's a huge difference between German and American examples. I'm not so much a fan of most American takes on the style, but the German ones (esp Ayinger) are amongst my favourite beers.
  26. My dad's favorite beer is Ayinger's Marzen.
  27. darscotb

darscotb Disciple (50) Illinois Sep 5, 2010

Pilsner and Dunkel!!
    yemenmocha likes this.
  28. Kenzie

Kenzie Aficionado (230) Utah Feb 23, 2013

Pilsner! I have been really into dunkels lately though and definitely enjoy a good helles.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  29. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Only recently have I started to open up to lagers, largely in response to discovering the heavier, maltier styles out their like maibocks, helles, munich dunkels, doppelbock, etc. Been quite enjoying those. Breaking into lagers through the adjuncts, the pilsners, the pale lagers was counter-productive, as they remain my least favorite lager styles and did a good job turning me away.

I am too young into this to have a favorite but the maibocks, helles, and dunkel's I have tried have been the one's that have most stood out to me so far. Would like to check out some vienna style lagers next, hopefully a local brewery can take a stab at it and I can find it on tap.
  30. Love a good Doppelbock.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  31. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (625) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

I went with Vienna, but I love marzens and pils and lots of lager styles. Lager revolution forth coming. Stay tuned!
  32. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

I voted Helles, but I was looking for Kellerbier.
  33. spoony

spoony Advocate (525) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

I voted doppelbock because, well, Celebrator, but I actually think my favorite lager style is Helles.
  34. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I love Vienna Lagers, especially Great Lakes Eliot Ness.
    ZachKelly likes this.
  35. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Advocate (555) Virginia Dec 25, 2012

that and Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager. The Dortmunder Gold from Great Lakes is phenomenal as well.
    bubseymour likes this.
  36. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

Rather than choosing one, I'm just going to let helles, dunkel, pilsner, and schwarzbier fight for my affection.
  37. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Advocate (555) Virginia Dec 25, 2012

I voted for Vienna, but honestly it could go a few ways. Pilsner, Oktoberfest, Dunkels and Ambers could get the vote too.
  38. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager is awesome.
    ZachKelly and ChipMurray like this.
  39. Maibock! Nothing better to welcome the Spring with.
    KarlHungus and yemenmocha like this.
  40. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I love me a hoppy pils. Noble Noble Pils y'all!
    ChipMurray likes this.