1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite lager style?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by offthelevel_bytheplumb, Sep 13, 2013.

?

What is your favorite lager style?

1. Dortmunder/Helles

14.8%
  2. Pilsner

25.3%
  3. Oktoberfest

15.3%
  4. Vienna

6.3%
  5. Dunkel

6.3%
  6. American Red/Amber

4.0%
  7. Bock

2.9%
  8. Doppelbock

22.2%
  9. Eisbock

1.3%
  10. AAL/Malt Liquor

1.6%
  1. Right now for me, its Oktoberfest/Marzen... but i lean towards the Red/Ambers on an average day.

2. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Drum roll please -- first in class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's all this talk of Wiesn Märzen? ;)

3. Another vote for India Pale Lagers. Great Lakes Silver & Gold and Sam Adams Double Agent. Nice and crisp. Oh yeah.

4. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Savant (360) Michigan Sep 2, 2013

I will have to go with doppelbocks at this point, but that could change as I try more.

5. Most anything from Jack's Abby

IPLs would have been my choice if on the list.

Dools9 likes this.
  6. gory4d

gory4d Advocate (505) New York Apr 14, 2007

Isn't India Pale Lager just malt liquor with better hops?

7. Czech Tmavy or Polotmavy for me, in the 14 degree range. Also love the rauchbier.

8. steveh

Lager for ale drinkers.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  9. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (525) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Euro pale lager ... it's not on the list, but a couple of my favorites are technically considered that style (which probably is a catch-all anyway)

love good pilseners and dopplebocks. i haven't figured out bock yet -- that style (speaking of catch-all) might include the widest range of notes of any style I've tried so far.

10. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I really enjoy all lagers. But I love a good dunkel.

11. I voted for dopplebock but I really like them all, especially dortmunders, dunkels, and Vienna lagers. Hard to choose a favorite Amongst so many delicious options.

12. we need more hoppy lagers

someone invent jacks abby brewing and tell them to get off their asses ! :eek:

stella77artois likes this.
  13. Stokes_

Stokes_ Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 13, 2013

Dopplebock.

14. steveh

Plenty of hoppy beers out there to choose from, no need to screw with more styles.

Providence, Beric and herrburgess like this.
  15. animal69

animal69 Advocate (595) Louisiana Sep 21, 2007

Was torn between o'fest & dopplebock, love em both equally with pils a close 2nd, dunkel would be my #3.

16. My vote is for doppelbock. It's the style that got me into craft beer. So thank you Troegs

stella77artois likes this.
  17. Munich Helles! Followed close by Dopplebock. Those also happen to be my 2 favorite styles overall.

18. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

Tough call for me between marzen and pilsner as I will drink the shit out of either, however I went marzen in the spirit of the season.

19. zid

zid Savant (440) New York Feb 15, 2010

That's somewhat unusual. Which ones?

20. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I really developed an appreciation for a well done pilsner this summer. I thought they were somewhat boring before. I tried some that I didn't like, and some that I really really liked...point being, I don't think they're boring at all.

Probably the beer that I liked the most all year though, that was just really high quality, was an amber lager at the brewery I'm a brewer for. It had already been brewed before I started, so I can't take any credit though, haha.

21. Pils for me, but I also love a good Dortmunder as well.

Providence likes this.
  22. IPL... Hoponious Union is that shit!

23. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (685) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Devils backbone Vienna lager is delicious. One of the best American made lagers I've had.

Hockey_Fan and ZachKelly like this.
  24. Asics

Asics Savant (345) Washington Jul 28, 2012

Schwarzbier for me. It is an underrated beer style!

CBlack85 and Hockey_Fan like this.
  25. Your post and point is very well taken. But this poll failed to distinguish between German Pilsners and Czech Pilsners (and to which I suppose we could also add American Craft Beer Pilsners). In my humble opinion, nobody comes anywhere close to the German Pilsners (No offense, my Czech friends!).

26. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Too close to call. Pils, Helles, dopplebocks, Ofests blah blah blah. It's like namin' yer favorite kid. okay, okay. My grandson is my favorite and I really like Pilsners.

27. Icedogs

Icedogs Aficionado (105) Virginia Nov 21, 2011

Samuel Adams Boston Lager (along with Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Red Hook's early brews) really got this all started on the way to being a big deal, and I still love that Vienna-style lager. Sam's is still great, and I add Eliot Ness (Great Lakes Brewing Co.). Without them, though, I'd say double-bock is my favorite lager style.

28. zrbeer1579

zrbeer1579 Savant (380) Illinois Dec 3, 2012

I voted pilsners. It was hard to pick since there are few other lager styles I really like. I have yet to try bock/doppelbock, but I will soon. SOON. There are so many lagers I want to try.

By the way, isn't lagers about balance? Not that IPL and Imperial pils are terrible but, in my opinion, it takes away the beauty of what a lager should be. Probably stupid of me to say. Maybe I'm traditional, but I have more to learn.

29. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

The beauty to me, of lagers is the balance of malts and hops. Nothing overshadowing the other. I love good ales and stouts. But a good lager, like a Munich Helles or a Czech Pils is just so clean, crisp and refreshing that it cannot be denied. I like some of the more assertive beers, but the classic simple ones really hit home for me. A great mug/glass. Filled with a fine beer. Great weather. Great food and company. Beer shouldn't be offensive, it should compliment the OTHER things you are doing in your life. A good dopplebock is a perfect example of a tasty, yet refreshing beer.

Premo88 and zrbeer1579 like this.
  30. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (525) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Samuel Smith's Pure Brewed Lager Beer
    Karbach's Sympathy for the Lager

... both are classified "Euro pale lager," though like I say, that's such a catch-all category it seems that they may be better classified as something else (and they certainly aren't average "Euro pale lagers" -- both have a tremendous amount of bready malt sweetness, sweet biscuit-like; Sympathy also have a very nice spicy hop bite like a pilsener)

31. BethanyB

BethanyB Savant (320) New Jersey Jun 20, 2013

I checked off Dortmunder/Helles, but I personally find these two to be different enough to where if I were to list the choices I'm order of preference, Helles would be at the top and Dortmunder would be somewhere in the middle.

TongoRad likes this.
  32. Agreed, I'd definitely separate those two myself and maybe group Vienna/O'fest if I had to. Minor quibble, though, since concessions would have to be made anyway.

33. You are missing my favorite style from the poll: jack's Abby ipls!

34. Pegli

Pegli Savant (315) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

I love 'em all but how can you beat 1L of Marzen...
    [​IMG]

35. With 2l of Marzen?

keithmurray, steveh, Pegli and 2 others like this.
  36. No Kölsch or Altbier options?

37. You brew that?

38. Pegli

Pegli Savant (315) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

Yeah man !
    One day I'll have a set-up like yours so I get more than 20 mug fulls...

herrburgess likes this.
  39. Those are two I thought about adding, but with only 10 options to choose, I thought I picked the ones that most would vote for. Clearly, I should've added Schwartzbier before Altbier or Kolsch, but those are both solid styles of beer as well.

zid and Slam_Dunkels like this.
  40. allenson21

allenson21 Savant (350) New York Dec 4, 2012