1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your favorite lager style?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by offthelevel_bytheplumb, Sep 13, 2013.

?

What is your favorite lager style?

1. Dortmunder/Helles

14.8%
  2. Pilsner

25.3%
  3. Oktoberfest

15.3%
  4. Vienna

6.3%
  5. Dunkel

6.3%
  6. American Red/Amber

4.0%
  7. Bock

2.9%
  8. Doppelbock

22.2%
  9. Eisbock

1.3%
  10. AAL/Malt Liquor

1.6%
  1. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

These are not the same beers are they? I like both, maybe my two favorite Marzens (or Ayinger), but they seem a bit different to me.

As for the queston:

1) O-fest
    2) Dopple
    3) Dunkel

Though I pretty much like them all.

2. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (680) Rhode Island May 18, 2012

Jack's Abby is clearly the answer to the poll. Anything they make is pretty damn good

3. 57md

57md Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Aug 22, 2011

I am definitely an ale guy, but I'd say bocks are my favorite lager style.

4. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Had a hard time deciding as I really love all those beers. Went Vienna because that is the mood I am in right now...

5. I vote Pilsner. I like my lagers drinkable, crisp, and refreshing.

RobertColianni likes this.
  6. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

They are different labels, but now brewed under the same roof. Try them side-by-side (preferably blind) and see if you can really tell the difference. I did for a few years in a row now and this year is the first year that I found them identical.

7. Sounds like a blind taste test is in order for all three.

8. steveh

It's very "enlightening." Even for being blind. ;)

My only trouble this year has been finding fresh Spaten. I've seen nearly year-old cases being delivered to retailers as "new stock." Common consensus says this is due to the turnover of import houses. Our loss.

9. With the caveat that it is either on tap or in covered cases/12 packs. I made the mistake of buying a green bottled six pack once and it was skunked something fierce. Transformed it into a steak marinade, which was its unintended purpose.

herrburgess likes this.
  10. Very true. And if it were up to me, this site would have the "caveat" that 99% of beer is meant to be drunk as fresh as possible, but I fear that would upset the "cellaring" lobby.

SunDevilBeer and jesskidden like this.
  11. I am a Schwarzbier guy myself, but truly enjoy most lager styles.

miwestcoaster likes this.

12. This. Pils for sure.

RobertColianni likes this.
  13. I would love to see Great Lakes Brewing out of Cleveland add a Munich Dunkel and Munich Helles to their superb lineup of Vienna, Oktoberfest, Dortmunder, and Pilsner.

14. Just found a a place in NYC that will have all three on tap in a week. Winner winner...

15. steveh

Nice. Just be sure the Paulaner is their Amber Märzen, not the Wiesn. No straight comparison at that point.

TdLJg likes this.
  16. I would love to see that! Those guys have lagers down.

17. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Of those, probably a dunkel. Kellerbier is definitely missing from that list. That's another fave.
    Also, I wouldn't lump helles and export together. I love helles, but the stronger lagers tend to lose steam after a glass or two.

Jsteez likes this.
  18. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Helles. Nothing compared to a fresh, easy-drinking, refreshing helles lager, especially after a long day of work.

19. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (665) California Dec 15, 2012

Earlier in the month, I had Short's The Curl that I received from a BA in Michigan. It was crisp and refreshing.

20. USAF77

USAF77 Aficionado (165) Illinois Oct 21, 2013

A good Pilsner celebrates life.

21. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Baltic porter

22. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Savant (335) Florida Mar 25, 2013

I've yet to find a lager I enjoy. I dislike all the AAL's. I've tried SA Boston Lager, wasn't to my taste (too bitter for a lager IMO). I've tried a few bocks and doppelbocks but found them too strong and sweet for my tastes. Does "Dead Guy Ale" count? I know on this site it's listed as a Hellesbock but the name is deceiving...

23. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Please try the brooklyn pre prohibition style lager. I turned my nose up at this beer for the longest time but I really like it. It's crisp and clean (I'm practising using those words) and it's delicious. I like it more and more as I drink it.

24. Das_Reh

Which brewery produces that? I might give it a try. I'm just saying that all the lagers I've tried so far have been BMC, not to my taste or overpowering in the flavor/alcohol department (I drain-poured Ayinger Celebrator... it was like drinking syrup with bourbon in it).

BTW, does kvass count as an ale or lager?

25. utopiajane

utopiajane Champion (860) New York Jun 11, 2013

Brooklyn Brewery

http://brooklynbrewery.com/verify

26. steveh

You can go to jail for that in Bavaria. ;)

Judging by your reviews, you seem to have a very specific palate... I see you also drain-poured Bigfoot and could find no aroma in SN Pale Ale. Rather atypical for a craft beer drinker.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  27. Jsteez

Jsteez Savant (380) China Apr 28, 2012

Dunkels, Dortmund lagers, and Zatecky Pils. I also like the Czech style pils brewed by Bohemian Brewery in Salt Lake City. It is a lower ABV, 4%, but it is well-crafted. It tastes best in spring/summer/fall.

Happy Halloween and enjoy the last day of Oktoberfest!

28. I have always just considered Dead Guy Ale a hybrid. I know it's not a popular opinion to have, but that's my stance. I looked at your reviews, but I can't grasp your taste preferences from 10 reviews. Maybe I can help recommend some lagers to try if you told me what you like in a beer.

steveh likes this.
  29. Pilsener is truly the king of beers.

30. No Schwarzbier? No rauchbier?

Jsteez likes this.
  31. Nope, and you're not the only one to say anything about it. I picked the 10 I thought most people would vote for.

32. Oktoberfest in Munich ends the first Sunday in October, so Oct. 6 this year. Stated that so you can plan a trip someday!

33. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (385) New York Oct 31, 2013

Maibock. Make it a St Boisterous please

34. pep

pep Savant (355) Pennsylvania Jun 3, 2012

I just love a good malty bock! sometimes its nice to switch up from the hop bombs that the breweries are turning out.

35. Jsteez

Thanks for the info!

36. Jsteez

You know what, you're right! Schwarzbier is one of my favorites too, especially around this time of year. I just drank a Kaiserdom Schwarzbier last night. BA labels it a Munich Dunkel, but it is not. It is definitely a Schwarzbier! It is deep black, roasted, smoked, a little dry, and there is a slight coffee taste to it, but not too much. It was pretty damn good! Very sessionable. Cheers!

Stinkypuss likes this.
  37. tsauce2

tsauce2 Savant (440) Indiana Oct 12, 2011

I would never, ever, ever turn down a Pilsner Urquell.

herrburgess likes this.
  38. Das_Reh

I've tried at least 50 different beers, but I have only reviewed a small handful.

I will say that I'm a big fan of wheat beers (weizen, wit, american pale wheat, etc).