1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your reaction to this tap list?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Providence, Feb 3, 2013.

?

What is your reaction to this tap list?

1. It's perfect! IPAs and/or Belgians are my life!

51 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Needs more stouts and porters

152 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Needs more lagers

26 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Needs more "sessionable" ales (ESB, brown, Kolsch, etc.)

42 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Who cares what's on it, it's 19 craft taps! I can barely get one good tap where I live!

48 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Other (explain in response)

42 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Uinta Brewing Co. Labyranth (Imperial Stout) 13.2%
    Weyerbacher Brewing Co. Last Chance IPA (American IPA) 5.9%
    Stone Brewing Co. Vertical Epic Ale 12-12-12 (Belgian Style Strong Dark Ale) 9%
    Berkshire Brewing Co. Coffeehouse Porter (American Porter) 6.2%
    Long Trail Brewing Co. Brown Bag #1 (American IPA) 6.4%
    Newport Storm India Point Ale (American IPA) 6.5%
    Brouwerij Huyghe Delirium Tremens (Belgian Strong Pale Ale) 8.5%
    Aecht Shlenkerla Marzen (Rauchbier) 5.4%
    Van Steenburge Gulden Draak (Dark Triple) Belgian Strong Dark Ale 10.5%
    Firestone Walker Union Jack (American IPA) 7.5%
    Lagunitas Brewing Co. Lagunitas Sucks (Imperial IPA) 7.85%
    Southertier Brewing Co. 2XMAS (Herbed/Spiced Ale) 8%
    Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Ruthless Rye IPA (American IPA) 6.9%
    Rodenbach N.V. Classic (Red) (Flanders Red Ale) 5.2%
    Brouwerij Palm N.V. Palm Speciale (Belgian Pale Ale) 5.4%
    Bieres de Chimay S.A. Chimay Tripel (White) (Tripel) 8%
    Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale (American IPA) 6.7%
    Mayflower Brewing Co. India Pale Ale (IPA) 7%
    Victory Brewing Co. Hop Devil Ale (American IPA) 6.4%

19 taps in total, with 9 IPA’s and 6 Belgians.

Let me preface what I am about to say with this: The bar that had this tap list was and still is my favorite bar in Rhode Island. They care greatly about their beers and their customers. The prices are awesome and the staff are very friendly.

With all of that said, this tap list was greatly disappointing to me. How many IPAs do beer geeks need? 9 out of 19, really? How I wish there were a Victory Prima Pils, Brooklyn Lager or a Sam Noble Pils on tap, but no. In fact, there was only 1 lager to begin with and it’s not exactly a subtly flavored one! (I do love the Aecht Shlenkerla Marzen though, it’s wonderful, but I can’t drink more than one).
    Anyway, I was really bummed about this selection. I figured that the owners of the bar, since it is so well respected, must know what they’re doing. This must be what their customers want, right? So I figured I would put the question to you all. Is this the kind of tap list I need to get used to?

PS: For the record, the bottle selection was dominated by a whole lot of belgians.
    PPS: Major first world/white people problem, I know.

Thoughts?
  2. It's February - where are all the goddamn barleywines?
  3. I voted other, needs more stout/porter and sessionable beers.
    mecummins and szmnnl99 like this.
  4. I vote [the missing]:

(G) - (B) (C) and (D) - Needs more stouts, porters, lagers, and sessionable ales (ESB, Brown, Kolsch)​
    digita7693, rlcoffey, cbeer88 and 9 others like this.
  5. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I thought they got better and better after the third? but the list does indeed need a bit more variety. The craft beer bars around here tend to have the same things in rotation, and change it up slightly from time to time, so I generally don't go to them that much anymore.
  6. RichD

RichD Advocate (615) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Which bar is this? And I'd like to see more barleywines and stouts represented.

EDIT: I'm not asking to throw the bar under the bus. I live in RI so I'm just wondering where this place is.
  7. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

Looks solid to me
  8. They knew you were coming in and wanted some pub on BA. List looks good to me.
    JG-90 and SadMachine like this.
  9. Other

I'd be interested in knowing the full situation; maybe distro was pushing certain brands, or maybe they're trying something new? A local beer bar had a tap "blackout" recently which included a bevy of stouts and cascadian dark ales. At first I thought it was awesome, then it got old pretty quick. As far as the selection itself, I agree it could be more diverse.
  10. It's not terrible by any means. I would drink about half the list. It looks like they are just catering towards what is popular right now in beer trends. For every person who dislikes that 40% or so of the list is IPA there are three IPA drinkers who would bitch if there were only three or four to chose from. You just can't please everybody.

It would make sense to round out the tap or bottle list with some other UK and German styles. There's no wheat beer, for example. Doesn't have to be imports of the styles, lots of US brewers make those styles as well.
  11. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (640) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

1 more stout and 1 more porter would be nice.
  12. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Yeah I agree. One rauchbier, ok maybe. But RIS, BA stuff, and barleywines? I love me the hops, but i agree that was a bit heavy and out of season.
    Bung likes this.
  13. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Looks better than most but not perfect for me. Then again, I can't afford to keep a bar open by myself so they should spread it around some.

I'd like to see more stouts and porters. I agree with you on the IPA thing. Everyone with dreams of opening a brewery/brwepub says the same thing - "I'm gonna make a killer IPA, love that stuff" - EVERYONE makes an IPA, what are you going to do DIFFERENT?
  14. List does nothing for me whatsoever. Hate IPAs, begians are ok if nothing else I want is on tap. I'd be frustrated, seeing that after walking in.
    Bung likes this.
  15. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Although I voted for more stouts and porters, I see a few beers on there that I have heard of and would have wanted to try. If I walked into that list, I would be a happy man. If it was a place I went from week to week and this was the same list for a few weeks, I would be disappointed.
    dfillius likes this.
  16. Just go to Dohertys instead.
    Brownj1288 and Horbar like this.
  17. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

The options should have been:
    1. i love it
    2. i like it
    3. it's okay
    4. it sucks
    dianimal likes this.
  18. dianimal

dianimal Savant (420) California Apr 18, 2012

Looks fine to me. I could pick at least five of these and be happy. It could be a lot worse, right??
  19. Voted "Other." My reaction is that it looks like 95% of craft beer bar lists in the U.S.
    RobertColianni and Bung like this.
  20. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

I voted "needs more lagers". This is a perfect opportunity to point out that Ruthless Rye replacing Glissade in the SN seasonal lineup was a disappointment for me. Swap out the rye IPA on this list for the golden bock and I instantly have a go to beer instead of putting me in the current position where I'm honestly not sure what to start with.
    dennis3951 likes this.
  21. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

That's decent I guess but nothing compared to The Happy Gnome in St. Paul. I guess I am spoiled.

Draft List: http://thehappygnome.com/menus/drafts/

As of 1/26/13

Indeed Stir Crazy
    Summit Winter
    Hinterland Winterland
    Alaskan Winter
    Capital Winter Skål
    Ommegang Adoration
    New Belgium Frambozen
    Dark Horse Raspberry Ale
    The House of Shandy Curious Traveler
    Surly Hell
    Lift Bridge Farm Girl Saison
    Hinterland Pub Draught
    Clown Shoes Clementine 1.5
    Schell’s Emerald Rye
    Surly Furious
    Surly Abrasive
    Indeed Midnight Ryder
    Fulton Sweet Child O’ Vine
    Fulton Ringer Pale Ale
    Harriet West Side IPA
    Summit Extra Pale Ale
    Summit Unchained: Old 152
    Tyranena Bitter Woman IPA
    Tyranena Single Batch Black IPA
    Deschutes Red Chair NW Pale Ale
    Boulder Mojo On Nitro
    Southern Tier Krampus
    Goose Island Minx Belgian Double IPA
    Lagunitas Sucks
    Brooklyn Blast Double IPA
    Southern Tier 2X IPA
    McNeills Warlord Imperial IPA
    Duvel
    Chouffe McChouffe
    Chouffe Houblon
    La Trappe Quadrupel
    La Trappe Isid’or
    Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins
    Bell’s Sparkling Ale
    New Belgium La Folie
    Odell Friek
    Harriet Divine Oculust
    Harriet Dark Abbey
    Tyranena Benji’s Chipotle Smoked Imperial Porter
    Fulton The Worthy Adversary
    Fulton War and Peace
    Big Wood Morning Wood
    North Coast Old Rasputin
    Bells Java Stout
    Founders Breakfast Stout
    Founders Imperial Stout
    Badger Hill Foundation Stout
    Left Hand Java Lava Stout
    Tyranena Sheep Shagger
    Tyranena Rocky’s Revenge
    Tyranena Devil Made Me Do It
    Brooklyn Monster Barleywine
    Goose Island Naughty Goose Brown Ale
    Grand Teton Double Vision
    Grand Teton Double Bitch Creek ESB
    Millstream Schokolade Bock
    Lift Bridge Biscotti
    New Belgium 1554
    Clown Shoes Double Brown Ale
    He’Brew Messiah Bold
    Founders Dirty Bastard
    Dark Horse Scotty Karate
    Surly Bender
    Surly Coffee Bender
    Left Hand Milk Stout
    Founders Porter
    Deschutes Black Butte Porter
    New Holland Dragon’s Milk
    21st Amendment Marooned on Hog Island

Plus a couple of ciders on tap and a crap-ton of bottled beers.
  22. I think they need more IPAs personally.
    cjoc83 likes this.
  23. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Other.

Good God, have beer geeks become spoiled & entitled. I know many of you probably couldn't drink 10 years ago, but even finding really good beer in the Midwest was almost impossible. Now people are complaining left & right about a list like that?

This sounds like bitching about your date with Heidi Klum because she had a zit on her nose.
  24. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (460) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Granted there are a lot of IPAs on the list, but being an unabashed hop-head, I'm totally good with that. Plus they have a pretty decent selection of other styles; the Rodenbach, Labyrinth stout, a couple Xmas/spiced beers, and plenty of Belgians. I agree it could use some more stouts and porters, and maybe a couple session beers, but that tap list is straight heaven to me.
  25. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

Other

I could definitely drink off that list, but if you are going to run a craft beer bar, at least spell the f'ing beer names the correct way.
    JrGtr likes this.
  26. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (460) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Brew the IPA with coleslaw. I will call it the "Diner Dish IPA". Only 1 batch will be brewed, and it will be aged on logs I found in the forest. 1 bottle limit per customer. Form a line, please.
    LittleGus and kmatlack like this.
  27. Replace some IPAs with stouts, belgian strong ales, and brown ales. And put Wiehenstephaner Hefe Weizen on tap.
  28. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

I wouldn't say it is disappointing, but a bit more variety would be good. Another stout/porter would be good and some session beers. Sometimes I think beer bars forget to make sure they have some sessionable beers on draft. I like the high abv, but sometimes I want to be able to drink more than 2 or 3 beers.

EDIT: Though, I suppose the Weyerbacher IPA and the Belgian Pale Ale would be decent options for sessioning. I don't typically consider sours to be session beers. Even though they're low in abv, they are generally still sipping beers for me.
    JrGtr likes this.
  29. Beer is a luxury item. I know that, you know that, we all know that (I hope). So complaining about it at all is ludicrous in this day and age when so many are struggling. But with that said, since this is a beer-centric website I thought it would be worthy of a conversation. I don't think it means I am entitled, but two each his own.
    DaKur and Errto like this.
  30. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

other............... I think its great, but not enough vatiety........... sometimes you just want a beer.............
    Providence likes this.
  31. Not impressed either.
    I'll echo first response you got and say...why aren't there a few barleywines?
    And I agree that the number of IPAs is excessive.
  32. grumpy

grumpy Savant (405) Missouri May 24, 2005

Looks solid enough.

** First World Problems **
    doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  33. I agree as good as Ruthless Rye we didn't need another IPA (or Rey PA). Glissade was a great brew. I miss it.
    RobertColianni and Providence like this.
  34. Almost everything on this forum is "first world problems."

Waaa my Pliny bottle is two weeks old.

Waaa why didn't my area get more Hopslam. And why isn't is as good as last years?!
  35. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (200) California Aug 30, 2007

looks like 1/2 the list at Toro SD. The other half is all Alpine.
  36. iadler

iadler Savant (405) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Only 1 stout...in February...when it's like 20-30 degrees in RI...da f*** is that? ;)
  37. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

No need for all them IPAs.
  38. Care to mention which bar? If you're from southern RI, Mews Tavern is awesome, 69 beers on tap
  39. still my fav rhody bar too, just been hurting since the owner found other interests...
  40. Is this Track 84 in Warwick?

They had Bolt Cutter on draft last week.