1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your reaction to this tap list?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Providence, Feb 3, 2013.

?

What is your reaction to this tap list?

1. It's perfect! IPAs and/or Belgians are my life!

51 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Needs more stouts and porters

152 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Needs more lagers

26 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Needs more "sessionable" ales (ESB, brown, Kolsch, etc.)

42 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Who cares what's on it, it's 19 craft taps! I can barely get one good tap where I live!

48 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Other (explain in response)

42 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. dwoolley1

dwoolley1 Savant (300) New York Dec 16, 2009

2. true, true... the whole scene is so overblown now and we $$$ for it. That should leave us the right to demand higher quality. That being said, what was a great tap list 10 years ago is mediocre now...

And btw, im sick of defending little rhody these days too. We have access to some damn fine brews these days, and craft beer bars can/should promote that....
  3. I have never been impressed with Mews. The draft list above, while not what I would typically wants, beats out what the mews usually has whenever I am there (which I admit, is infrequently. Probably haven't been in over a year).
    EnronCFO likes this.
  4. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

I feel lagers need their place as when you stop in with pre-craft friends there is a need for starter beers for them.plus I also desire a well made lager as a go between some of the other styles.Crisp and bitter are great ways to go.Cheers
  5. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

My biggest complaint would actually be that there are so many IPAs from CA. If I were to visit a "quality" bar on the east coast, I expect to see a lot of east coast breweries. Instead, I see a lot of the same stuff I get all the time on the west coast.

At the minimum, I don't think it's necessary to have Stone, Lagunitas , FW, and 2 SN's, all of which are IPAs. If they want to focus on IPA's at least get some non-CA ones on there, otherwise pick something from CA that's not an IPA.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I live in PDX, but I don't think this list is bad. It's just kind of boring.
    Providence likes this.
  6. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (355) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

Great list of breweries, but the variety is lacking.
  7. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I would be more than delighted to stop in there.
  8. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (800) Florida Feb 27, 2005

No disrespect, but you are not getting this kind of selection anywhere in SC, except maybe Charleston. Come to Florida and see what you get at a "craft beer bar". Go to LA, MS, GA (besides Brick Room), AR, etc...
  9. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (525) Texas Jun 29, 2011

Too many IPA's but Schlenkerla on tap is mighty sexy.
  10. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (810) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I vote for B, C and D- need more porters and stouts, lagers and sessionables.
  11. When you cant pick one of the 19 beers on tap I guess that's what the bottle list is for. Im an IPA lover and that list isnt to exciting to me, FWIW.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  12. It could definitely be tweaked, but I have seen worse. And I could definitely have many a great night with exactly this list- so overall thumbs up from me (I did vote for more lagers, though, because of the way it was framed.)
  13. we get it, you like lagers
  14. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

my reaction is it has this so you should shut the hell up (even though it is misspelled):

Uinta Brewing Co. Labyranth

But yeah its a decent list doesn't blow me away.
  15. Pretty good I thought... I was at your unnamed bar yesterday enjoying a few pints. Not every taplist has to be perfect, this one I thought was pretty good. Plenty of solid offerings.
  16. I think it reflects popular preferences...IPA's are all the rave right now. I love it, except I would replace all of the Belgians with sours and barrel aged stouts...
  17. Not sure what you're basing your claim on. In Columbia, SC, you can get a list just like this (but even more extensive) at chains like World of Beer and The Flying Saucer, as well as at local places like the Kraken Gastropub.
  18. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (455) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

The "not impressed" or "you should see this tap list" people need to realize this is RI. Small state, relatively limited distribution. Track puts up the best damn list possible in the state. Yeah, it can be skewed to one style or another at times, but it all evens out in the long run. I've been there when the only IPAs were Newport Storm and Stone and there were too many big stouts to remember. To me, a single snap shot of an ever evolving tap list doesn't do any bar justice.
    jaxon53 likes this.
  19. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

Love the list, but does it really need 9 IPAs? You've got Union Jack, Hop Devil, and Lagunitas Sucks; Perfect, now there are 6 other spots that can be filled with other types of beer.
  20. EnronCFO

By more extensive do you mean 5 New Belgium taps, 4 Redhook, 2 Widmer, and a SeaDog Blueberry? Plenty of good taps on the WOB list, but a lot of shit too. Almost never a garbage tap at Track, outside of Newport Storm, which is local.
  21. EnronCFO

The Mews sucks. So many taps, barely anything ever that is interesting and beer/line quality is very questionable.
    Jwale73 and Horbar like this.
  22. I'm not really one to prize quantity over quality, so I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was boasting. On the contrary....
  23. Is this Julian's in Providence? I think the selection is definitely solid but I personally would like to see a couple more stouts or porters.
  24. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

One more reason why I love living in the PNW. A similar tap list around here would considered average.
  25. Fantastic no doubt!!! What a killer selection! If only one or two more dark beers or Quads were on the list it'd be PERFECT!!!
  26. I love IPAs, but another couple of stouts, porters or barleywines would balance out that list.

But dont get me wrong, I would drink the shit out of that tap list.
  27. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

Drop about 5 or 6 of those IPAs off the list, add a saison and gueuze or two and it would look much better.
  28. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (360) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

Nothing on there has me excited. Still some good options to have though.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  29. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (380) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Prices would help me make my decision.
  30. Steamer

Steamer Aficionado (220) Missouri Dec 13, 2012

Agree.... too many IPAs. Don't get me wrong, I drink my share of IPAs and love them, but this is way over done. It makes me wonder if this was purely a business decision based on what they believe their customers want and come in for. Even if this is true,it still seems like over kill.
  31. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

This is Track 84 all day long.
  32. EnronCFO

Track 84's prices are consistently the cheapest in the state/region. So, assume whatever your local bar would charge and then knock $1-2 off.
    Horbar and beertunes like this.
  33. C+ i guess
    A-
  34. If I was on a trip to your state and I walked into a bar with that tap list I would be happy. It gives me a chance to try some new beers I have never had before, no matter what style they may be.
    SatlyMalty and beertunes like this.
  35. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

What this guy says is the truth!
  36. It's IPA heavy which I like. And I avoid Belgian at all cost. But given that list I would choose the Labyranth. It's not amazing but I live in a decent size city with nowhere that could compare to that list.
  37. Since, of course, one isn't going to walk in and drink every beer they have, I would be happy trying their great selection of Belgians. I guess if you just had to have a stout or session beer you wouldn't go to that bar.
  38. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I could drink here for a few days and be happy. Schlenkerla on draft??? I thought Celebrator at Ciceros on saturday was a great German find.

It was.
  39. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

Looks great to me....? What's the problem here?
  40. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (610) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Rodenbach. Yum.