1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What is your worst disaster?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jfriz25, Sep 30, 2012.

1. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Savant (400) Maine Jan 23, 2010

I had this very thing happen a few months ago. worst part was invited people over for a party...3 beers on draft one in the bottom of my freezer the others o gas
    I was able to get about a pint before the tanks emptied.
  2. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

A lot of homebrewers tell me this is overkill but I put new o-rings on every time I fill a keg.
  3. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

At our backyard Oktoberfest a few years ago my son and I were taking beer mugs off the shelf in m,y beer room and putting them on a table next to the kegerator outside. We were in the garage, about 20 feet from the beer room when we heard a strange "klink" and we both new that wasn't right. A mug had fallen off the shelf, bounced off a sack of malt and hit a carboy full of brett hefeweizen. 5 gallons of that precious liquid flowed across the garage floor, so my son spent the first hour of the party cleaning the beer room and garage floor of smelly brett beer.
  4. I had some beers open up inside a suitcase on the way home from California. Lost an Imperial White Orchard and a Jester King Le Petit Prince.
  5. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

mine is, i was living in fl im from ct and did a trade with my boy smutty33, i took the btl of Smuttynose Imperial Stout and put it in the freezer to get it cold faster and totally forgot about it till the next morning. needless to say the cap popped and the beer leaked out in the freezer, i was sooo pissed at myself
  6. Lick it off her. In fact I think I am going to pour a beer on my wife right now. See ya later

Enjoy
  7. johncosta60

johncosta60 Zealot (90) New Jersey Jun 30, 2012

I dropped a bottle of stone 10th anniversary ruination. I was so excited to be opening the bottle that night, and dropepd in the driveway opening the car door. The other disaster is my first home brew had to all be drain poured.
  8. My roommate decided to move my kegerator, ex-freezer with Johnson control digital thermostat. He neglected to put the temp sensor back into the kegerator. I was out of town, 3 days later I come back with a small haul to put a few freshies in. Everything was frozen and white. 9x surly wet 6x surlyfest, 6x bells 11, great divide 21st anv, rr damnation, founders better half, tons of others about 30-40 + not so ordinary bottles. Not to mention 2 nearly full fresh batches of homebrew.. It felt like I lost a child..
  9. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (610) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

**** WARNING -- GRAPHIC IMAGE BELOW ****

[​IMG]

I warned you. Dropped it today as I was pulling out a box. So sad. I just got it yesterday. There was about 2 small sips left in the bottom. It's just beer and I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt so much if I hadn't JUST gotten it via trade (not distributed to CO :()
  10. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (610) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Oh yea, and last month I did an IP trade for a bottle of BBPt5, only to have it slip out of my bag while biking home. I have the worst luck recently. Of four beers in my bag it had to be that one. The ONE I really wanted. <sigh>
  11. I'm not sure if I'm more confused about wearing jeans in the bathtub or drinking Smirnoff ice!?!
    RochefortChris likes this.
  12. I usually move a beer from the fridge to freezer for a few minutes before drinking it. I remember moving three Grölsch (one for everyone) and forgetting about them for two days. Glass all over the freezer.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  13. I've never had CBS.

Thanks.
  14. I once smashed a sixer just to watch it die.
  15. I dropped a bottle of Wild Blue and it didn't break. It was devastating.
  16. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Came home in the from 3Floyds in the pouring rain with a 6pk of Alpha. While I'm unlocking the door to the house, as it's still pouring, the 6pk cardboard container gets soaked and at the beer fall on the concrete backporch. 3 of the 6 bottles break.
  17. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

I kicked over a bottle of Gnommegang in my garage it exploded all over the place a couple of months ago, I guess not that a bad of a disaster......but it sucks to lose beer!
  18. MystikCelt

MystikCelt Savant (305) New York Jun 11, 2011

My wife made me drain pour the last half of my second growler of Wet Hops Experiment because it was making me fart up a stench of biblical proportions. But it tasted soooooooo good!

...I considered divorce, but the potential cost might mean less beer in the cellar down the road, so...
  19. I managed to let a bottle of Hopslam smash on the ground before my eyes while moving.
  20. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (450) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Mine is Expedition related...

After a long, hard 11 hour day at work, come home, make dinner and then I'm nailed by one of the most unholy rainstorms I've seen. 1 hour solid of torrential downpour that floods my basement as well as my downstairs room where all of my cellared beer is stored. Spend the next hour or so cleaning up the mess, moving all my beer and other stuff that got soaked. Treated myself to a 2-year-old Expedition which, after only about two sips, managed to drop the nearly full glass onto the CARPET which caused the glass to bounce and spray the thick, black liquid all over my walls and floors over 20 FEET AWAY, not to mention the ~10 ounces or so that pooled and soaked into the light-colored carpet at the spot that it dropped.
  21. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

My first home brew!!!
  22. We don't learn from our successes, we learn from our mistakes. At least I have...
    Horbar likes this.
  23. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Sorry for your loss.
  24. damnitsjeff

damnitsjeff Zealot (85) Indiana Sep 10, 2011

Trying to stop drinking. Luckily it was just a dream.
    gcamparone likes this.
  25. Whychaseme

Whychaseme Disciple (55) Alabama Feb 20, 2013

first day Hop Slam came available where i live and i could only buy a 6 pack do to short supply!
    [​IMG]
    FlakyBiscuit likes this.
  26. I drunk left a '04 Lou pepe framboise and a '04 iris in a freezer last nye. Both exploded...
  27. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

My worst wasnt really that bad. I dropped a Stone 9th Anniversary a few years back. I was in love with that beer at the time so it really pissed me off. I still have like 5-6 of those. Prob not any good anymore.
  28. stumac

stumac Savant (445) Texas Oct 16, 2007

the paulaner mug. that sux dude
  29. Why do your in laws know where your beer is, let alone why are they moving it?
  30. In celebration you smashed an old fezziewig, right?
    notchucknorris likes this.
  31. JRod1969

JRod1969 Advocate (590) New York Nov 23, 2010

I live in NYC and keep most of my cellar beers in my inlaws house. They have a massive wine cellar and very little wine, so my beer has a home. They went in for wine. I've booby trapped it for the future.
    forrestbetts likes this.
  32. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (545) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

I spilled 2012 BCBS into my computer tower after setting the glass down on the spiral part of a notebook on accident.

Just wasn't the same after that.
  33. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Holy shite! I'd be fkin pizd.
  34. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Nah, good friend and beer cleans up. made a better story than the beer.
  35. The dumbing down (90s) & subsequent sale of Belhaven to Greene King and the closure of Maclay get my vote as something approaching the beery disastertastic.
  36. BB Plead the 5th x8 exploded all over my garage floor one coldnight. My wife was pretty pissed when she found out how much it cost!!
  37. Mines not to bad, My puppy knocked over a glass of Bruery Smooking wood...At least it wasn't the bottle. She also promptly started licking it up, had to push her away!
  38. olbeerluver50

olbeerluver50 Aspirant (30) Florida Mar 13, 2013

Reached in among some loose bottles on the top shelf for the beer fridge in the dark. The bottles started toppling over like ten pins knocking out my second to the last bottle of SN Narwhal which eluded my grip and smashed all over the garage floor. Lesson learned- secure the good stuff....
  39. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (315) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

It's a shame that all of them didn't shatter...