1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What kind of beer did/does your grandpa drink

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Apr 25, 2013.

1. When mine was alive he drank Milwaukee's Best. Thats all I saw him drink.
    baconman91 likes this.
  2. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Savant (425) New Jersey Apr 27, 2012

Piels and Bud.
  3. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

Coors light.
    Only.
    Wouldn't look at any other beers.
    Wish I could say that shows the difference in our generations, but unfortunately I would be mistaken.
    Providence likes this.
  4. JayORear

JayORear Savant (445) California Feb 22, 2012

Hamm's.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  5. Meister Brau and Schmidts, respectively
  6. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) California Mar 19, 2012

only PBR. I've never had one, probably should try it sometime. Oh and he would leave it in the sun before opening it.
  7. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Never saw him drink beer when he was alive...though he did tell me his family used to brew "dark beer" (as he put it) in the '20s & '30s and that his job was "the capper."

All I can recall is him drinking Elmo Pio wine (along with the other grown-ups), served from a jug, that was cooled on the patio during holidays.
  8. My grandpa died when I was 13 or so...I don't remember seeing him drink much at all, but the rest of my family said he drank a shitload of 7/7's. Might explain why he always had 7 Up in the fridge - I do remember that.

Also, last name is Burgei, and I remember he had a couple cans of Burgie! beer on a shelf.

EDIT: My dad also informed me about a year ago that my grandpa homebrewed beer too, which I never knew. Kind of funny that I got into the hobby too without knowing that.

[​IMG]
    sajaffe1 likes this.
  9. Since Dad & Grandpa were around pre- and post-prohibition, I'm guessing they drank stuff from local breweries, so things have come full circle.
  10. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Bud Fat
    Providence likes this.
  11. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (445) New York Jan 24, 2013

Drank Bud for years, switched to Red Dog of all things, wen't back to Bud when Red Dog disappeared, then went to Yuengling when AB was no longer American owned. Also talks about drinking Rheingold and Schaefer growing up in BK, but those were gone (or mostly gone) by the time I was around.
  12. My grandpa, drank Old Style for years and years. He switched to Miller Lite a while back and will not drink anything else. He is 85 years old, he goes to the VFW, and a couple other "clubs" 3 days a week, and drinks Miller Lite out of cans.
  13. Absolut

Absolut Savant (395) California Sep 19, 2011

Mom's dad passed before i turned one. My parents tell me (and photos support) that he was a Busch Bavarian man. Many photos and stories of him grilling pork steaks out back. He's slow grill them over a 12 pack- some for him, some for the steaks. As my dad tells it, it was a full day grill, designed to get away from his wife.

Other grandfather was not a beer drinker. Went for the harder stuff.
  14. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Strictly Schaffer... I think that's how you spell it...CHEERS
  15. this and only this, had it on tap at his house after a while, when i was 5 he taught me how to pour a proper pint and then i became the beer runner for him and his friends while they sat on the pontoon boat all day and drank. had to run up and down a ridiculous hill with multiple beers in hand constantly. those images pop in my head every time i see a genny can
    [​IMG]
  16. Homebrewed during Prohibition. Haberle Congress afterwards.

[​IMG]
    Mother's father:

[​IMG]
    sajaffe1 and RobertColianni like this.
  17. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Genesee. I remember when I was in like 7th grade I said to him "you could seal driveways with that stuff".

If only I could toss my grandfather a ten-fidy and hear him say the same thing to me...
    jrbchef and dianimal like this.
  18. Benish

Benish Savant (460) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Special Export and PBR. Man I miss him, wish I could have a beer with him (I was not yet 21 when he passed). He's a man with words. I just recently I watched some family home videos that my dad gave me. He always had a beer in the videos!
  19. madmanjf

madmanjf Savant (350) New York Sep 18, 2005

Nips of Genesee. But I can't recall which one. Back then, the bottles were distinguished by a green vs blue label, and I *think* it was the blue label he'd get.
  20. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

Milwaukee's Best lol

other grandpa drank schlitz and blatz
  21. Pretty close... only 1 letter off ;)

[​IMG]
    cnbrown313, RobertColianni and seplo like this.
  22. mctizzz

mctizzz Advocate (510) California Dec 23, 2010

Whatever was on sale, Milwaukee's Best and Genny Cream were among my first and worst beer experiences. When my Grandfather heard that there was going to be a $.05 deposit on cans he preemptively cellared 200+ cases. He also only drank beer and coffee (never water) for as long as I knew him, quitting coffee at the end of his life, blaming it for his health problems. RIP
    Phillyz likes this.
  23. seplo

seplo Savant (445) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Sooooo close... I had it once in honor of him, it was a $2 pitcher
  24. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Savant (395) Texas Feb 16, 2012

funny story. my grandma was huge antidrinking so when my dad was dating my mom my dad would bring beer (coors) to the pasture and bury it underneath a tree. that way my grandpa could drink beer whenever he was 'workin the field'. never saw him drink a cold beer in his life.
  25. JTDay

JTDay Aficionado (125) Georgia Jan 28, 2013

My granddad doesn't drink much, but as a young adult worked at the olympia brewing company and was given free beer at the end of each shift.
    pixieskid likes this.
  26. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I don't remember grandpa being much of a drinker, but there's a notorious family story of my sister bringing a couple bottles of pop from the cellar. Grandma opened and poured a glass for her and a friend, thinking she'd never heard of "Rolling Rock" before, and that it was a lot more foamy than their regular ginger ale.

Grandpa did enjoy my homebrew late in his life, and even went on a couple trips to the homebrew shop with me. (jeez typing this brought a little tear to my eye. He's been gone for more than ten years, and I still miss him.)

My other grandfather died very young, so I don't know much about him.
  27. He doesn't drink beer often, but when he does, he prefers...heineken, becks or grolsch.
  28. He wasn't picky. Drank mostly genesse and yuengling from what I remember
  29. i never saw my grandfather with anything but rolling rock, he was an assistant brewmaster there so you didnt dare drink something other than that around him
    djsmith1174 likes this.
  30. Beerd_O

Beerd_O Disciple (50) Michigan Feb 6, 2013

Newcastle was my grandfathers beer of choice. I think he took a liking to it when he was stationed overseas.
  31. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

32. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

One other beer related story on my mom's dad. Her Sunday school teacher was a die hard Christian Temperance Movement veteran, had the kids sing songs straight from pre-pro literature. My mom was still very young, and wanted to know more about her dad. One Sunday morning she was excited to learn her teacher knew her parents. She asks the old hag about her father and she looked down at her and said "your dad was a drinker" in that way only the truly self-righteous can speak.
  33. Itoclown

Itoclown Savant (270) Michigan Jun 19, 2008

My Grampa would enjoy a bottle of Heineken poured into a glass. He would then take a salt shaker and add a few shakes of salt. Always made me LOL. Miss that guy.
    Premo88 likes this.
  34. ant880

ant880 Advocate (630) New York Nov 7, 2010

My grandfather can't do much drinking anymore due to health issues, but when he did, most of his consumption focused on homemade wine and Johnny Walker Black. When he did drink beer it was Amstel and, later on, Smithwick's but he was always down to try anything and everything I popped open...he loved BCBS when I had him try some.
  35. PBR and Old Style are his mainstays, but he will drink pretty much any BMC AAL. He thinks Boston Lager is too strong tasting...
  36. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I have a sweet serving tray from Beverwyck that someone grabbed me for my birthday last year... don't see much mention of it these days.
  37. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

Piels red. Vile