1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What kind of beer did/does your grandpa drink

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Apr 25, 2013.

1. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

PBR. He was a hipster. I miss his ironic facial hair and pork pie hat.

dustinjkline likes this.
  2. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

I don't know about my paternal grandpa and my Dad's gone so I can't ask him, but I remember my Dad drinking Olympia and Dos Equis among others. I don't know about my maternal grandpa either, and my Mom's gone, but I would bet he drank Miller.

3. wine from a box.

4. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

Schell's Deer Brand and Hamm's... and lots of it.

5. xavieraz

xavieraz Zealot (85) California Feb 3, 2013

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

larryi86 likes this.
  6. hops_slut

hops_slut Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2013

Oldstyle or die!

7. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Michelob was the big one. Always had a sixer in the fridge. Then Becks. And to a lesser extent Heineken, Amstel, or Corona since restaurants usually didn't have Michelob or Becks. If I can find a six pack of Michelob I'll drink it in his honor

8. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

My father's father was an alcoholic who drank cheap wine and booze, he died before I was born.

My mother's father worked in Rhode Island during the week and would come home on weekends with a few of these...

[​IMG]

Dools9 and RobertColianni like this.
  9. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

Mine were from Pittsburgh, so there was a lot of Iron City beer.

In a steel can, of course. They weren't sissies.

Premo88 and seakayak like this.
  10. vurt

vurt Advocate (505) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Olympia stubbies, more often than not. He'd always give me the bottle caps for my collection (a collection I wish I still had), and I remember there were a few Heidelbergs and Black Labels amongst all the Olympias.

11. zid

zid Savant (430) New York Feb 15, 2010

Wow. That's something to satisfy both can and bottle drinkers.

12. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (395) Florida Jan 2, 2013

My grandfather drank Old Milwaukee N/A. When he died, he had one left in his fridge. I took it home and it sits in my "cellar" in place of prominence. NFT

13. Grandpa drank the champagne of beers...nothing but the High Life.

14. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

15. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Schmidt and Blatz.

16. As my dad said he was a man. He he worked in a freezer all day so he liked nothing cold. Drank warm Grain Belt and said nothing went better with them than Lucky Strike ciggerettes. I pick up a sixer from time to time.

17. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Didn't drink

TheBushman likes this.
  18. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

My maternal grandfather and my stepfather's father drank Schlitz. My paternal grandfather liked Miller High Life, but he rarely drank. I don't really feel a connection to them, but I do like to raise a glass of Schlitz or Miller High Life to them on their birthdays.

19. Guinness extra or FES, either warmed by the fire or on the radiator.

I had a great uncle who also liked his stout, he used a red hot poker to heat it

20. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Loons, whalez. Ya know, the usual.

21. Never knew either grandfather but all of my relatives off that generation Great Uncles, Great Aunts drank Narragansett, still the beer of funerals.

Dools9 likes this.
  22. douginromeo

douginromeo Savant (325) Michigan Apr 1, 2013

Never drank beer - liked his Kessler's and Vernors. I shudder just to think of it!

23. PBR. He had 3 every night after work, and a few on the weekends when he mowed his lawn. Its the first beer I ever tasted when sneaked a sip to me when my parents weren't looking.

24. Jomega80

Jomega80 Zealot (85) Ohio May 26, 2012

[​IMG]
    All I saw him drink

25. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I cannot remember what beer my grandfather drank as he passed away over 25 years ago but I have an uncle that I remember being a strong supported of Red, White, and Blue.

26. Yeah, that'll happen when you sold out to the "guys from the City" 63 years ago ;) (Schaefer bought the brewery in 1950). Their advertising mascot was "Billy Beaver" - who helped to remind people the name was pronounced "BEAVER-wick".

27. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (480) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

My last memories of my Grandpa are me and him installing a basketball goal at my house, while we shared cans of "BEER". Black letters on a white can. Before that, he brought over "Scotch Buy" while we worked on my floor furnace.

frazbri likes this.
  28. Petela

Petela Aficionado (165) New Jersey Mar 21, 2013

Yuengling all day!

29. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

PBR and Michelob

30. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Not sure... Both my biological grandfathers died before I even had a chance to get to know them (paternal grandfather died at age 44 when my father was only 4 years old and my maternal grandfather died when I was a year old from complications from Diabetes.) My paternal grandfather was born and grew up in Czechoslovakia (present day Slovakia) and moved to the US after WWII. I like to think he had access to and drank some pretty good beers back in the old country.

seakayak and frazbri like this.
  31. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (480) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Czechoslovakia (Czech Republic/Slovakia) is one of great beer drinking nations on this Earth. Not to mention their hearty, down home food. You have quite the heritage. Grandpas are cool. I know, I'm one of 'em!

seakayak likes this.
  32. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Ballentine Ale

33. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

My paternal grandfather was a hard liquor drinker from what I've heard. Considering the fact that he was born as the son of a crofter in 1920, a year before beer above 4% was banned until 1955 I guess it makes sense. Hard liquor was what people from his background drank back then. My grandmother told me once that he brought a bottle of cognac with him on a roadtrip up north to their parents, and he would drink it straight from the bottle. My maternal grandfather immigrated to Sweden in the 60s from Finland and used to keep various Finnish lager brands in stock at family get togethers that I can remember growing up. In recent years he's gone over to drinking Mariestads Export, a Swedish dortmunder style lager which he gets on the tax free cruises across the baltic sea. He prefers drinking blended scotch though and to have a glass or two on a saturday since he says beer makes him hungry and makes him eat too much. My grandmother doesn't approve of him having his scotch, but he says it's not up to her to decide :p .

34. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (595) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

Miller Highlife Miller Highlife Miller Highlife Guiness Guiness Miller Highlife.

I remember being 6 years old and him telling me to go get him a beer from the basement. I would open it for him and he always let me take a sip. I hated the taste, but loved the feeling of being aloud to drink when my parents werent around!

35. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Savant (260) Pennsylvania Jan 12, 2011

Genessee "at cellar temperature", but also other cheap stuff. Pabst, Schlitz, Iron City, Stroh's, Straub, Busch, although i'd see him enjoy a dark German beer at at German restaurant and he would probably try anything you set before him. My other gramps doesn't drink.

36. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

when he was alive he drank

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

seakayak likes this.
  37. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Both Grandpa's were teetotallers, but all the generations before them drank whisky and scotch,.... and the occasional mooonshine.

38. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (885) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

My grandpa who is still alive just drink wine, but my grandpa how pasted away in 2004 would have stuff like SNPA in his fridge.

39. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I never saw my paternal grandfather drink beer, but the other side sure did. I found tons of Ballantine's bottles and know he drank that. He wasn't too fussy though - PBR, Carling, Schaeffer, Narragansett I saw him drink as well. Think I told this story before, but I found a bunch of bottles in certain spots in the field when I bought the house, some of them full. Odd little bundles here and there. My mother told me Grampy used to "plant" beers in the rows so when he got thirsty while working in the fields, he would just go pull one out of the ground. Sure enough - the bottles I found were "row width" apart, so he would just go from stash to stash. Pull a full one, leave an empty.

frazbri likes this.