1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What kind of beer did/does your grandpa drink

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Apr 25, 2013.

1. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

mainly Bud but some Hamm's. I also remember seeing this in his fridge:

[​IMG]
    Bitterbill and kingofhop like this.
  2. Budweiser outa the 40s.. first drink of beer i ever got was from grandpas bottle... i promptly ran for the sink to spit it out...
  3. superspak

superspak Champion (900) Michigan May 5, 2010

He doesn't drink very often but every time I go to his house GL Dortmunder is in the fridge. A fantastic choice.

[​IMG]
  4. Goat piss. Cause back in the old country if you could drink that, you could drink anything.
  5. He has too drink n/a beer for health reasons but drinks one then pours a bud into the can. Now don't go telling grandma.
  6. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I am "Paw-Paw". My grandkids adore me, but not half as much as I adore them. They know I like High Life, as well as the "weird" stuff like stouts, IPAs and farmhouse ales. I'm sure they'll drink everything, in my memory, at my wake.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  7. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (315) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Yeah, I wish I was able to get to know him and take a trip back to where he was from. Sadly, almost none of my family remains in Slovakia due to the results of WWII. Being that we are Jewish, once the war ended, those who survived had to get out of dodge. Most moved here to the states and the rest are scattered about between Israel, Canada, and Australia. I would have loved nothing more than to have had an authentic Czech Pilsener with my grandpa while listening to him tell stories of what it was like when he was a Colonel in the Czech Army. Unfortunately, all I have to remember him by are a collection of black and white pictures that my father saved. I appreciate the kind words, your grandchildren are very lucky!
    Bitterbill, raffels and kingofhop like this.
  8. kingofhop

I would gladly share a Budvar, or Urquell with you. Them Czechs know what good beer, and food is all about.
    DHS1029 and Bitterbill like this.
  9. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still drink a Genny Cream in his memory now and then. RIP big guy
    Bitterbill likes this.
  10. Miller High Life with a shot of brandy. He lived to be 92. Ummmm, maybe he had something there.
  11. madtowndmb1

madtowndmb1 Savant (360) Wisconsin Oct 17, 2007

A while ago going through my Mom's stuff I ran across a bottle of Westmalle that was completely unlabeled. Only the glass casting in the bottle, she says he had that bottle in the basement for a long time. No clue on the year.
  12. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Ballantine or Budweiser
  13. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

Maternal: Labatt Blue. I think it's the only beer I ever saw him drink, and it's still a staple at family gatherings even though he left us last year.

Paternal: I don't know if I ever saw him drink, but my dad says he was a Genny Lager man. I've got a photo of him posing with a fully stocked store display decades ago, and he left some mint condition memorabilia from the same era, but I don't recall actually seeing him drink.
  14. Lord Chesterfield
  15. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

Only really saw one of them drink and it was PBR mostly.
  16. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito Savant (395) Oregon Sep 29, 2011

Heidelberg tall boys.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Bring.that.back!
    kingofhop likes this.
  18. Bitterbill

My grandparents lived in Austria and though my grandma didn't enjoy beer much, grandpa loved Gosser and Gold Fassl:

[​IMG]

Drank some of that myself in 1968-69.
    kingofhop likes this.
  19. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Rolling Rock and Schlitz, while smoking Phillies Blunt cigars
  20. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

grandpa (who died in 1981) drank some sort of cocktail based on southern comfort and apricot brandy.

my dad (who would be 80 now if he were still around- died almost 30 years ago) drank schmidts every single night.
    kingofhop and Bitterbill like this.
  21. loafinaround

ya know, I vaguley recall dad also having a schaefer once in a blue moon.... remember that wheat logo.....
  22. Bitterbill

:(

On another note....Schmidt's of Philadelphia, I presume? The flagship Lager was a very nice brew.
  23. RyanCave

RyanCave Savant (475) Oregon Apr 13, 2011

Never saw my Grandpa drink beer, it was always manhattans.. My wife's Grandpa drank something called a "weewilly" which is a glass of vodka cut with scotch.

Yay beer :)
  24. loafinaround

when my grandpa passed away, our family found a lifetime supply of southern comfort and apricot brandy... along with cases of cashmere bouquet soap and lots of home-jarred peaches... as if he was prepared for nuclear fallout and only cared about cleanliness, staying regular, and his cocktails!
  25. RyanCave

RyanCave Savant (475) Oregon Apr 13, 2011

Priorities
    loafinaround likes this.
  26. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

Great thread.
    Heini Dark was the only beer he ever stocked. Mainly he liked his Whiskey though.
    Got him to try a can of Dales once... Hated it. However, he sucked down several glasses of Edward at my wedding a couple years ago and said he loved it and "wished they had beer like that when I was younger".
  27. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

Iron City, apparently. Found an old can in my, now deceased, grandpa's basement when I was in the process of converting the fruit cellar into a beer cellar.
  28. loafinaround

Yeah, it's kinda a bummer I lost him so long ago....
    I'm not sure about the city? whatever they sold in pathmark in the 70's and early 80's.

wait! I looked up the label that's forever seared into my memory. this was it! you're right... philly, right on the label....
    [​IMG]
  29. Norica

Norica Savant (315) Massachusetts Feb 2, 2006

Lots of Guinness, Bushmills, and Schlitz and Budweiser in places that didn't have Guinness.
  30. zsk

zsk Aficionado (190) Ohio Jan 13, 2006

Black Label, Falls City and Weidemans. One of those was my first beer. Not sure which one.
  31. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (270) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

Gramma used to take Great Grandpa the 7 or 8oz bottles of Miller High Life into the nursing home. Grandpa was a 7/7 man so I always wondered why there was beer in the basement fridge.
  32. kingofhop

As much as I would love that Bill, I'm afraid it would be sumpin' akin to what you old Ballantine IPA guys or Schlitz folks think of these retro "comebacks". A shadow of their former selves. Now, if sumbody could re-create the old St Louis recipe for Falstaff, I could fade away into the sunset a happy man!
    Bitterbill likes this.
  33. dckepley

dckepley Savant (310) Iowa Aug 13, 2006

Michelob...the old school torpedo-shaped bottle with the gold foil around the neck. That also happened to be my very first taste of beer ever.
  34. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Savant (355) Maryland Aug 5, 2008

Grandpa lived the High Life. Also seemed to like Old Style. He was buried with a Miller High Life Light.
  35. kingofhop

Possibly my favorite BA thread. Ever.
    gir02021 likes this.
  36. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Visited my grandparents at their winter home when I flew down to Tampa for Hunahpu day, grandfather had a fridge full of natty light and white zinfandel. I gave him an FBS to try because he's a big coffee drinker, he took one sip, but the glass down and said "that, is terrible."
  37. Schlitz and old style
  38. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (440) Illinois May 30, 2005

Schlitz and Old Milwaukee. Lots of both. Great thread BTW.
  39. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

This thread honestly brings a tear to my eye. My maternal grandmother passed a couple years ago, leaving my parents to kind of take care of my grandfather (more in the way of entertaining him than anything else as he was able bodied and in good health). We spent tons of time with him, trying to expose him to things he wouldn't have experienced without our encouragement (or prodding). I had the idea to take him beer tasting, as I had gotten into craft beer in the previous few years. My parents and I took him down to Bruery Provisions and we tasted flights with some cheese. I can still remember the look on his face when he tasted the Cuir---he said something like "this doesn't taste like beer at all." I don't know that he enjoyed it, but he was willing to try it, and that was enough for me.

On the drive back up to LA, I asked him what he thought of the beers. His response was something to the effect of "I think I'm more of a Stella guy."

He passed away unexpectedly just a few months ago and it's been an extremely tough time for all of us, but I will always treasure the memory of our day down in Orange.

I know this doesn't directly answer the OP, but thanks for bearing with me and allowing me to share my story.
    kingofhop likes this.