1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What makes a beer taste Metallic?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fields336, Sep 12, 2012.

1. fields336

fields336 Savant (315) Virginia Nov 16, 2008

honest question, because any beer with even the slightest hint of metal turns me off and is a drain pour.. so far any Irish red and tonight a Duck Rabbit Brown ale.

Cheers!
  2. Duck Rabbit beers just taste like that. Intentional?
  3. supercolter

supercolter Savant (455) Wisconsin Apr 19, 2006

Oxidation or crappy water...

http://kotmf.com/articles/flavor.pdf

METALLIC CHARACTERISTICS: A harsh, metallic taste noted both
    on the tip of the tongue and the roof of the mouth. Can
    be felt throughout the tongue and mouth in large
    concentrations. Not desired in beer. Also described as
    tinny or bloodlike.
    CHEMISTRY: The ferrous ion (iron) and some organic
    compounds formed by hydrolysis of cereal lipids in grain,
    and oxidization of free fatty acids.
    HIGH RATE FROM PROCESS: Iron or mild steel in
    contact with beer; freshly-scrubbed stainless steel that
    has not been allowed to oxidize (passivation); improper
    filtering material; high iron content in water; poorly
    processed grain.
    REDUCTION: Use of stainless steel; low-iron water; use
    of citric acid to re-oxidize stainless that has been
    abrasively cleaned; use of filtering materials that are acid-
    washed to remove iron; use of fresh, high-quality grain
    malt.
    ChugLife likes this.
  4. Metallic taste rather organic compounds function. Iron, copper just catalysts of oxidation processes. More over can oxidize not only the beer components, but also for example lipids in the mouth.
    2 ST, if earlier, this was not, I would tell your physician.
    My apologize for «non-еnglish» English:confused:
  5. Listening to Metallica while drinking?
  6. I've noticed that taste in some of the lesser Oktoberfest marzens (Leinenkegel's and SA to name a few)
  7. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

I've already had 12 packs of both those this year and got no metallic character. It's possible you're drinking them too cold, masking the true flavors and letting an astringency or carb-bite to dominate.
  8. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Crappy Water,
    Every Magic Hat beer I've had has tasted metallic to me. I've tried seasonals and regulars and I just can't get over the metallic taste the water has, hence the reason I no longer drink Magic Hat.
    HardWater and azorie like this.
  9. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Savant (315) Nebraska Mar 15, 2012

1st metal beer I had: Zombie Dust. I was very disappointed. Had to trade for it and it was my first time trying it.

Edit: I have tried it since then and it wasn't metallic. Might have been a freshness issue but who knows.
  10. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Don't lick metal before drinking.
  11. I will keep that in mind, but I've had 4-5 other marzens and I drink every beer at the same temp. I also noticed it in Newcastle Werewolf. If I have any of those again, I'll let them warm a bit and see if there's a difference.
  12. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

I would say he was just tasting how horrible the leines is
  13. steveh

Hah! Normally, I might agree, but I was pleasantly surprised by their Oktoberfest. Is it the best on the shelves? Hardly, but it wasn't so far gone from style as the Big Butt Doppelbock -- among a couple others.
  14. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

i have one in my fridge, didn't buy it but maybe ill drink it...
  15. steveh

Assuming you mean the Oktoberfest -- throw out any Big Butt. :D

I had to work overtime on a Friday a couple weeks ago, so I didn't get to the good beer store like I'd hoped. Stopped in at the local grocery and they had zip for anything I really wanted. The Leinie's in 12 pack cans was on sale for some outrageously low price, so in my frustrated haze I caved. Surprise -- not so bad.

No, I didn't guzzle from the can, poured properly into my small Willi Becker. And the cans lingered longer than most beers I buy, but I was still surprised by Jake and the brothers.
  16. I wonder if Dave Mustaine drinks these kind of beers. Anything Metallic seems to leave a bad taste in his mouth.
  17. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I get that taste from certain darker beers like dunkels and schwarzbiers, I'm guessing from the malts. I also get it from certain breweries, either from their hop varietals or water composition. 21st Amendment and Duck Rabbit are two that come to mind, in fact. I haven't had a single enjoyable Duck Rabbit beer to date.
  18. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I kinda agree, especially after the infection mess, I'm afraid to spend 10 bucks on anything they make.
  19. A slight metalic taste in a pilsner is something I actually enjoy.
  20. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

I've found that if you drink a beer right out the fridge when it's colder this flavor is more dominant. It seems that if I let the beer warm up a bit that flavor tends to go away. Maybe I'm crazy, I'm not sure.
  21. spoonhawk

spoonhawk Savant (345) Iowa Dec 3, 2010

When you say metallic taste, do you mean the sort bright (for the lack of word) tangy flavor that one might pick up in an aggressive Russian Imperial Stout that also express ample amounts of burnt ashen flavor?
  22. It might also be the cans in the case of 21A.
  23. knucks999

knucks999 Aficionado (180) Colorado Sep 30, 2008

People have different sensitivity levels when it comes to tasting metallic in the sense of a high iron concentration. This most likely comes from a brewer who use DE filtration poorly.