1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What makes you a Beer Advocate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Ok, so we're all members here...we all love good beer. But beyond that, what makes you an advocate of beer? Do you send out beer to friends and family in the hopes they'll find something they like? Do you volunteer at breweries\events\festivals? Do you try to educate as many people as possible about beer when asked? Do you bring a bunch of craft beer to parties to pass out? Do you leave limited releases on the shelf for others? etc etc.

For me I started a public tasting group. Anyone that wants to try a plethora of different beers from around the world need only show up with an open mind. Just this past Sunday I brought a Sapporo drinker to our tasting (not that Sapporo is terrible or he is wrong for liking it), he was blown away and had a great time and it felt damn good to expose him to my passion (insert joke here).

*if you don't consider yourself a beer advocate that's fine too*
  2. I try my best to educate people on craft beer. I also share my cellar with family and friends as much as possible, which is usually the best way to educate ;)
  3. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

My main contribution would be sharing and gifting to friends and family. It's a shared interest with many of my closest friends, and I'm happy to share beer with them. (I'm sure I sparked the interest with a few of them, too)
    kemoarps, neenerzig, KhakCane and 2 others like this.
  4. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

I want to be a beer advocate in the real sense, i.e recommending new beers to people who would otherwise just drink pale lagers (as much as I personally enjoy pale lagers). Then I came across my cousin. He had obviously been a member of a beer organization for a while and had learned the ropes, as well as learned a bit about different beer styles (I don't doubt his expertise as much as I do his behavior). I'd say he pretty much knew beer at that point, he was far from a newb, both macro and micro. But the way he talked to my parents and relatives, with all of his knowledge, just made him seem like a douche. I know my dad likes various lager beers and some macro dark lagers, and I do too. I'll happily drink the same beers he is drinking. What I'll never do is be a stuck up snob about what other people are drinking and put them down. If my dad enjoys a certain type of beer, then I'm happy for him, he doesn't need to be insulted or told that his taste is terrible by some newbie with a taste for craft beer. I'll share a beer with him if I feel he is open to it, but I wont insult him with some superior elitist bullshit.
  5. I think one trait of a beer advocate is sharing great beer without feeling like someone needs to reciprocate.
  6. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (350) New York Apr 7, 2011

I usually bring beers back and forth between home (New York) and School (Chicago), to share with my friends and family, and have gotten a good amount of relatives to upgrade from guiness to imp Stouts and bigger beers in general.

But what really makes me a BA is all the internet points I have on this website ;)
    kemoarps and deadonhisfeet like this.
  7. Jips

Jips Savant (355) Kansas Nov 29, 2007

I drink till I'm sick
    CMUbrew, JG-90, FrancisT and 9 others like this.
  8. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I share with people, go to festivals and when asked I will offer advice.
  9. Hanzo

This is a big one, I have received unsolicited boxes from great people on this site, never knew generosity like that existed on the internet. So in turn I've been doing the same. Underneath all the nonsense on this site with the what is X beer worth/what can I get for X beer and the bad trader stories I still believe there is a core of awesome people.

And I have met tons of awesome people and made friends with people from this site in real life. Never done that on an internet forum before.
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Using this website.
  11. Agreed. And that statement goes beyond trading. If I want to open some limited, rare, etc. beer at a group tasting I would do so in a heartbeat without ever expecting someone to "match" it (i.e. I'll only open X if you open Y).
  12. I just like to talk and share beer with others. That might be with my buddies while home brewing, at a poker night, at a local shop, on Untappd, or the G+ community me and some close friends use.

I love bringing a tote of random bottles with me everywhere. Sometimes im not a fan of the style of a couple bottles, but I love sharing those beers with people who do like the style. I'm not a huge fan of Tripels and Wee Heavies. I had several 750s of each style hanging around so I took them to a big march madness homebrew/party. Turns out a couple guys there loved those styles and were stoked to try some beers from Steel Toe, Alesmith, and Bruery. I tasted along with them and actually enjoyed the Tripel (batch 300 from Bruery).

Beer is just like everything else in life. If you don't expose yourself to different styles, opinions, and backgrounds, you're going to miss out on the total perspective.
    Auslander and Hanzo like this.
  13. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (315) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

To me it means sharing my enthusiasm for great beer with others. I recently received some Heady Topper in a trade and I gave a can of it to my girlfriend's brother-in-law, who is also a craft drinker, so he could try it too. He loved it, as I expected, and I'm working on getting some more so I can give him a few more and a few more for myself as well ;). The point is, when I saw him try that first sip of beer and he was blown away by it, that moment of satisfaction was pretty great. Now, we both make sure to give each other beers we have never had before. To me that is beer advocacy
    templar316, Zimm, jl28r1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

I share with friends and family (while trying to educate) and I don't put the hard to get beer on a pedestal when trading (as I know the OP doesn't as well). I'll also do whatever I can to grab the beers my trading partners want.

This last week I went to one of my stores and grabbed my allotted 2 KBS. I went to another store I shop at and went to grab my allotted bottle there; however some douche who pretended the bottle was being saved for him took it. The next day I was called by my first store saying that I needed to pick up my allotment (not knowing I already had). Instead of being pissed about the previous day and buying them, I told them I already had picked mine up and to let someone else grab them. I guess I'd rather see more people try good beer than have it sit around at my house and not drink it (that does not count for beers I am aging).
    danoble1, Zimm and Revenant like this.
  15. I cannot agree more.
    Revenant likes this.
  16. Here's a nice anecdote about a lot of us...

Like many of you, I make it a habit to share great beers with family and friends. I also like to occasionally share new or interesting out-of-town beers with the guys who work at my favorite bottle shop so they can enjoy them as well. The last time I did this, one of them made a point of telling me that he is shocked at how many times a generous customer has given THEM beer. He then proceeded to go down the list of awesome beers that people literally just brought in for them to try: Abyss, Parabola, Heady Topper (that was me), Westy 12, and others.

Just thought of another good one: I recently sent a whale that I've never reviewed to a trading partner as an extra because I was pretty sure he would enjoy it more than I would.
    ripps1 and 4balance like this.
  17. Sharing with friends, no matter how hard it is to get. In fact, drinking the rare stuff is far more enjoyable when you can share with someone else. I.e. got 4 bottles of KBS. Me and two buds drank three, 1 in the cellar. They'd never heard of KBS but could appreciate it. A good time was had by all!
    Zimm likes this.
  18. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Yep, a few times a month I'll bring in a little somethin to my local shop just as an appreciation offering. Can't tell you how many "Hey we are getting in such and such tomorrow, want me to hold you a bottle or two?" texts.

Also turning on buddies to new beer releases and different styles. We usually get together about every weekend. Recently converted a Captain Morgan drinker into a Surly Furious lover. Nothing better than enjoying great beer with old and new friends, and converting a few here and there is a bonus.
  19. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

I want to hear Jason or Todd's response.
  20. Hanzo

Would you still bring them bottles if they didn't text you offering to hold limited stuff? :p
    creepinjeeper and Revenant like this.
  21. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

I would definitely bring them my "Ooh look what I founds in the back of the fridge" :p
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  22. My main contribution is an e-mail address, username, and a password that meets the security requirements. I went the extra mile by supplying an avatar and bio of myself.
  23. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I'll tell co-workers about beer event/releases that are coming up. We'll buy bottles for each other every now and then. I got some of my friends into Untappd which in turn helped them towards drinking craft beer. Last week I let a bar know that a distributor still had a sixtel of Anchor OSA 2012 and I'm pretty sure they bought it and are going to have it on for an Anchor event. I made a "to-do" list for one of my coworkers who moved from Northern Jersey to SEPA of bars/breweries to visit. Generally I'm advocating all the time.
  24. I've thought about beer 24/7 since about 1984. I've done my time.
    LMT, fx20736 and quirkzoo like this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I brought 18 rare bottles of beer to the last Stout fest. That just makes me a generous sort, someone who shares what he has been lucky enough to have, but all those folks loved fine beer before meeting me. Folks think being generous is what beer advocacy is. Not completely.

Back in the day I tried to turn everyone I knew who didn't drink fine beer on to the wonders to be found in a glass of better beer. Some became lovers of fine beer, others not, but trying to spread the word is what advocacy is, just look it up.
  26. I will talk beer with anyone who will talk beer with me, won't criticize anybody's beer choices, and will drink any kind of beer. Id say if anything makes me an advocate it would just be offering people recommendations and answering questions when I can.

I don't really try to convert wine drinkers to beer, or BMC drinkers to craft. But I always let people taste stuff and give recommendations based on what I think they might like. When people come to my house they know they don't have to bring beer, although many still do. I have gotten many people to try many different kinds of beer and have realized that there are usually at least one two styles that most people will at least somewhat enjoy. My girlfriend, mom, and many of their friends have realized they like hefeweizens, but they also still enjoy Stellla Artois and 312. My buddy who only drank mostly BMC but really liked Fat Tire, now drinks all kinds of porters, stouts, and his favorite style of beer is scotch ales, he despises anything hoppy. My brother started off liking Sierra Nevada, and now like most pale ales and IPA's but almost no other styles. Some of my friends still only drink BMC even though they have tried some stuff I have given them, and I drink a good amount of BMC with them when the time is right. I'm with Jim Koch in the "All beer is good, but some beer is better than others" camp. Your much more likely to see me having a useless conversation about the subtle differences between Bud Light and Miller Lite and rigging up a blind tasting then you would find me telling someone that their beloved Guinness is not a real stout.
    timontheroad and microbrewlover like this.
  27. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I guess being a member here makes you a Beer Advocate. Of course being a member here doesn't make one an ambassador of craft beer. This community is definitely not as much of a joy to be part of as it was in 2009 when I joined.
  28. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Being an advocate for/of something usually means you promote a cause. Is what most of us do with beer for a cause? So I guess you could say "advocate" may not always be the correct term to describe the average person on this site. We like beer, attend and host beer events. We like to talk about beer and trade beer. But in doing these things, are we campaigning for its existence or taking any particular position on it as a cause? I guess we all would if it came down to it, but craft beer seems to be doing fairly well with no real need to jump on a bandwagon.

Don't mean to get too philosophical. You just made me think a bit.
  29. I too try and educate people to the finer micro beers that are avaialble now.
    Amazes me how more and more every year I see my circle of friends tastes change and I see various goodies that they are buying now !!
    Of course I do have one who is a dyed in the wool Bud drinker and he will never change
  30. I generally limit my "advocacy" to those who ask. Most of the people we socialize with are more wine drinkers than beer drinkers, and that's fine. I always offer beer, and whenever anyone takes me up on it, I try to help them find something they're going to like from whatever I have in the fridge at the time. But, even without making a point of if, I guess most of them have figured out that I drink "weird" beers (probably notice the strange bottles in their recycling), so I do find that folks tend to ask me to help them choose a beer if we're out somewhere where the beer selection is above normal. I'll usually ask them some questions to narrow things down, and more often than not, they seem to enjoy what I recommend (or at least say they do :(). I will say that nothing makes me happier than to be out with someone I've "guided" in the past and see them order something terrific off the beer list without asking for any input.
    templar316 likes this.
  31. I'm tryin' to get to beer advocate level. I do try to get my friends to try different beers. That's all for now. Hahahaha ! :) :)
  32. I make people drink the rest of their (what they will soon know to be) shitty BMC after they have tried ONE of mine.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  33. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I'm more of a beer enthusiast than an advocate in the sense that I don't parade around town advocating beer. But I will talk beer with anyone and will provide recommendations if people are curious. I'll also happily offer a taste of whatever I have if someone wants to try it. I'll even order a beer that isn't my top choice just so someone can try it. The vast majority of people I know are firmly in the Bud Light camp and that's fine with me. Unlike us, beer is not a priority for most people, but I will try to recommend alternatives. Maybe they don't order it but at least now they know there are alternatives out there. I've certainly got some women at least thinking about other beers. Forget the blue moon, try an authentic German hef or something like Abita Purple Haze. For some reason men seem to think Budweiser is the manliest most American (ha!) thing out there
    Ericness and dan027 like this.
  34. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

BIFs
    libbey and FTowne like this.
  35. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I support craft beer with my money and participate in the community that prefers craft beer. That's all.

Advocate please.... it is not about proselytizing or "converting" people and please stop trying to make it so. Call yourself a "beer missionary" if you want, in fact please do so, but don't bloat a label into something it isn't necessarily.
  36. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I'm a Certified Cicerone because I wanted to be one.
    I train others to become CBS and Certified Cicerones for my company because I offered to.
    I write a weekly beer blog for my company because they asked me to.
    I Tweet about beer for my company because I offered to.
    I do online chats about beer for my company because they asked me to.
    My title at work has almost nothing to do with beer but I get involved because I want to and no one else seems to be doing it.
    I expose as many friends and family to good beer as possible.
    I talk about beer with anyone who wants to, whether they know nothing or everything.
    I patronize restaurants that are committed to having great beer selections.
    I buy a case of KBS and then share 2/3 of it with people who have never tried it but want to.
    I make a point to do something beer related in any city I travel to.
    I spend less a lot less time on BA than I used to because I am busy actually doing beer stuff but still think its the best source for beer info going.
    Etc., etc.
    Hanzo, Droogins, cavedave and 2 others like this.
  37. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Yet the About on this site says

So you are "supporting" beer buy buying it and others "promote" beer by converting/educating. We're all advocating under that statement provided by the Bros.
  38. I bring a ton of good beer to dinner parties, host monthly tasting parties, and leave rare beers behind for others to enjoy.. Like the single bottle of FBS I found in San Diego last month.. Could have bought it, but left it for someone who would enjoy it more than me.
  39. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

not drinking beer. so all of you can.
    StubFaceJoe likes this.
  40. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

'Promote' isn't necessarily = proselytizing.

You can promote something by supporting it, supporting it exclusively, and being active in a community of people who also exclusively support it.

educating when asked is a different topic.

Also I wouldn't go too far with their definition because it seems value neutral with regard to craft vs. shit beer, and taken literally it reads as though you should be promoting any beer over alternatives such as wine, and not necessarily a Milwaukee Beast drinker to IPA's, for example. Reading 'beer' as beer in general is absurd to me, and it could very well be what the bros. intended (I don't know).
    StubFaceJoe likes this.