1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What makes you a Beer Advocate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Apr 9, 2013.

1. If I run into people who show interest in/have questions regarding beer- whether it be at work, in the store, at the bar, at family or social functions, etc- damn straight I will strike up a friendly conversation, keep it positive, try to throw in a little context and education along the way. Sometimes those people will even take the next step; and that can be pretty rewarding. But you do have to know where to draw the line, and let people take things at their own pace, or even not at all. Crossing that line is where the proselytizing seems to come into play.

Participating here is also important, I'd say. Especially when it comes to newcomers, who may feel overwhelmed, or not know where to begin. But even amongst the rest of us- if this remains a vibrant community, where we will have as many disagreements as agreements, then it can do nothing but help the whole of craft beer here and abroad.
  2. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

Mainly I'm a sharer. I try and share as much beer with as many people that will enjoy it as possible, it seems selfish if I'm the only one that gets to have the good stuff! I don't try and convert people so much but just let it be known to friends, family and coworkers if they are looking for something else I may be able to help point them in a direction they may end up enjoying. I love beer and it's fun to share it with others especially when I can help turn them on to new things they otherwise may not have found.
  3. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

On the same page with the sentiment expressed here.

But what many mean when they clearly say we have an active duty to go out and CONVERT and EDUCATE people who don't know better, that's when I think it goes too far. Sure, most of us will answer questions when asked. No disagreement there. It's when I'm somehow supposed to show up at parties and convert people, or convert that poor guy at the bar drinking a Natural Light from a frosty mug.... yeah no thanks.
    TongoRad and dan027 like this.
  4. dan027

dan027 Savant (330) Pennsylvania Mar 28, 2011

Couldn't agree more. I want this community to grow as much as anyone else, but this isn't the crusades and shouldn't be treated as such
    yemenmocha likes this.
  5. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I'm on here. I make fun of people. I've been temp banned.
  6. shuajw

shuajw Savant (485) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

a magazine subscription
  7. I think some people confuse advocacy with "trying to convert" or being aggressive in beer discussions (chiming in on a beer to a stranger at a liquor store without them asking your advice, making a snarky joke like "oh so you like beer without taste" when someone orders a bud light etc. etc.). There is such a thing as quiet advocacy (participating in a bottle share, starting a bottle share as the OP did, helping an interested party learn more about craft, being "the beer guy" around the office, etc.). These things take little effort or exposure and are great ways of beer advocacy in my eyes. Another way to support craft beer is spending wisely. To me, great and effective advocacy is supporting breweries that promote the craft community and limiting the amount of money that goes to brewers that aren't actively promoting the craft community.
  8. I'm a beer advocate because I have the attention span of a squirrel while working and I need something to do.
  9. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

I spend all my discretionary funds on beer. I make beeradvocate.com my most visited website. I tell everyone I know how great beer is.
    MisterBisco, Stevedore and dan027 like this.
  10. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

I think that anyone on the site who trades and does so because it is fun and enjoyable is an advocate. If you try to win the trade then you are just a douche who likes good beer.
    Obviously more goes into being an advocate than trading but it has been the bad/greedy traders who have made the most negative impact since I have been here.

Cheers and trade fair!
  11. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Are you me?
  12. I hope the fact that I have gaven 4 Caldera Moglis as extras......Thats a beer you trade FOR! not an extra...Still not enough know about it, so i give it as an extra...and it hurts every time i do.....

I do realize I mention this beer quite often...
  13. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Nah, but I am a Sox fan.
  14. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Not sure if I consider myself a BA, but I do share my cellar with other folks. Some like what they drink, some don't, but that's all cool. Atleast they realize that there's more to beer than supermarket, mass-produced, lagers. Regarding limited releases, I usually buy 1 or 2 tops nowadays. And that's the extent of my beer advocacy...
  15. I'm not a Jehovah's Witness knocking on doors but if an opportunity presents itself, I'm more than happy to talk about beer with others.
    19etz55 likes this.
  16. I think about beer a lot. A scary lot.
    hopsputin and highdesertdrinker like this.
  17. I gave the bros my email adress and here I am....
  18. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I give reach around.
    stayclean likes this.
  19. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I feel like am. I conduct tastings at parties for the beer blind. I drink about 25% of what I buy and share the rest. (Damn, I really do spend a lot on beer.)
  20. It is satisfying to introduce somebody to a beer you really like and, the majority of the time, they agree.

Even better when they are not regular beer drinkers, of any type
  21. I promote beer to my friends and family.

But I think the single most important thing I've done as a BA is to convert my wife.
    Hock and szmnnl99 like this.
  22. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I agree except that we don't have to call it "quiet advocacy" because that concedes that proselytizing is advocacy, when it is isn't in my opinion. Going out of one's way to talk to strangers is just obnoxious extroversion as far as I'm concerned.
    dan027 likes this.
  23. I always try to spread the word of good beer without being pushy, intrusive, or snobby. I remember when I worked at Applebee's I was talking to this one dude who didn't enjoy beer. I told him "there's a beer out there for everyone," and that's something I firmly believe. I wound up grabbing him a six pack of a fruitier beer when I had a few extra bucks and he wound up enjoying it! I also try to educate if people seem interested. Anything about styles, glassware, food pairing, history, whatever, I just want people to have exposure to our growing culture of craft beer in whatever capacity that may be.

I can also safely say that I've influenced many of my friends to try craft beers. Back when I was 21, I started buying a different six pack every time I went to the beer store. After a while I began cutting out the side of the six packs and pasting them on a long, blank wall in my apartment that eventually earned the name "the beer wall." My roommate got in on the fun and after one year we had just about 200 different beers, no repeats. My friends would always come over and marvel at the variety before them. And since my fridge was always full of craft beer(at the very least, Yuengling), they tried them with me!

Cheers to beer advocacy!
  24. THEcorky

THEcorky Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

My big heart. My vast knowledge of beer, and my refreshing modesty.
    frazbri and kell50 like this.
  25. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

It's satisfying just to talk to random customers when the pick up something and then wonder if they are making a good decision. I find them very receptive on any comments.I find 95% of people are friendly and never worry about the 5% that are nasty no matter what they are doing.Cheers
  26. The best way to spread beer cheer, is to share recommendations for all to hear.
    szmnnl99 and dan027 like this.
  27. I'm the go to guy amongst my friends and family when they have beer questions. I also have them try new beers. Except they can give two shits for the most part and probably do it to humor me. I also brew beer wit ma brew homie. ya we tyte.
  28. I have appropriate beer glasses for 7 Styles of beer that take up a "causes the occasional need to passionately defend my beer glass needs to my wife" amount of space on my kitchen cupboards. It's a constant war!
  29. superspak

superspak Champion (900) Michigan May 5, 2010

I'm the one who drinks and rates all the beer no one else will buy on here. I've found some delicious examples of a wide variety of styles as a result. I have 45 different glasses, including pokal and lager glasses; because Helles/Bock/Schwarzbier etc are underrated.
    highdesertdrinker and yemenmocha like this.
  30. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

I drink beer and post pictures of it.
  31. My knuckle tats that say TICK BEER.
  32. I am a member of CAMRA.

I have traded across borders to try more than 50% of the top 100.

I educate people on locally available craft beers that they would enjoy based on their palate.

I brew my own 13.2 gallon batches for my family and friends of many different styles.
  33. First post here - howdy.

I consistently see people praising themselves (and others) for leaving rare brews on the shelves for others to try. I've always kind of been irked by that. But when I picked up my one bottle allotment of KBS at Binny's in Lincoln Park (Chicago) last week, I found some justification for feeling that way.

I saw a group of three fellas who were very clearly already a bit cheery for the evening walk in as the last of us who waited in line got our bottles. They walked up and asked what all the fuss was about, and the gentlemen who was handing out the bottles simply said something about it being "Founders KBS" to which the three guys asked, "is it beer?". They were told that.. yes, it is in fact a beer.. and they each bought one bottle.

I understand there could be two sides to this story, and maybe they went home and enjoyed the hell out of their KBS and maybe it changed their beer-drinking lives forever. But I've got to say, I'd really rather see those three bottles go to someone else - in, say, a 4-pack instead of (1) 12 oz allotment - who can share it with their friends. I just feel like it's better that a special beer like that be enjoyed with at least one person who can help you properly enjoy the beverage. I don't know.
  34. Making money off of a website
  35. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

You should be careful who you do this with die hard BMC fans will drain pour some real gems someone poured one of my Plead The 5ths said it was too dark and something must be wrong with it:(
  36. I buy six packs all the time for the express purpose of taking them to work to see if anyone else wants to try it out as well. I've put a fresh bottle of something new on my boss's desk every other day for two weeks. Most times I have a bomber of something, unless it's just THAT GOOD I only drink half and cork it to take to a coworker so he can try it out. Any time we have a get together for sports I probably load up $100 worth of bombers to bring and sample amongst ourselves. And I've been bringing the hot girl at work free stuff because who doesn't want to be the one who got the hot girl at work hooked on craft beer?
  37. As a bottle shop worker, everytime I work I try to convert the macro drinkers on to craft beer.
  38. themind

themind Savant (440) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

At my work place I am know as " the beer guy " I love to share unique brews with commercial beer drinkers. It has caught on here quickly and guys now bring me brews that I have yet to try including home brews along with glassware from places they have visited since being introduced.
  39. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

in my 6+ years of active involvement in craft beer I have:

* helped lobby for, and pass, legislation increasing Alabama's permissible beer ABV from 6% to 13.9%
    * helped lobby for, and pass, legislation allowing taprooms
    * helped lobby for, and pass, legislation increasing the permissible beer container size from 16 to 25.4oz
    * travelled to the legislature to testify at multiple committee meetings on the subject of beer
    * been interviewed multiple times by newspaper, radio, and TV on the subject of beer
    * assisted in conducting the Magic City Brewfest reaching 5000+ people each time it is put on (entering its 7th year)
    * conducted more beer tastings in grocery or package stores than I can remember
    * conducted more beer dinners than I care to remember
    * had more conversations with random customers in beer stores than I care to remember
    * carried Alabama beers to multiple Dark Lord Days to share with other beer aficionadoes

So, yeah, I have pretty much eat, breathed, and slept craft beer for over 6 years.
    frazbri and Hanzo like this.