1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What makes you a Beer Advocate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Apr 9, 2013.

1. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (425) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

After reading all of this, I'm not sure I am a beer advocate.

I don't talk to people about craft beer to people that are not interested in it. If someone ask me a question I will answer it, but I no longer try and spread the word of craft beer anymore.

I think I'll call myself a craft enthusiast from now on...

JxExM likes this.
  2. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

I've always found the term "beer advocate" to be strange when applied to the members of this site... like we're beer ambassadors or something. We're people who like craft beer. I see no more responsibility to advocate for it than I do for any of my other hobbies/interests.

BMitch likes this.
  3. I turn friends and family on to really good beer. I have yet to just send a random package to someone but I've thought about it and may do it when I get my hands on some "Enjoy By". My repayment is all the wonderful advice I have received and the friendships that I've formed on this website. I don't think I'm pushy or snobby but I will give advice when asked. I have someone ask me for advice almost every time I'm in a liquor store looking at bottled on dates with my reading glasses and iphone flashlight. It gives me someone to bond with when I'm drinking a great brew and the only person to talk to is my teenage daughter who laughs at all the beer pics I have on my phone!

4. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

My refusal to lay claim to the title is what makes me a true BA.

Oh shit, wait.

Cyrion and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  5. I do my best to educate people about beer. I brink craft beer to parties and events. I volunteer at a local brewery. I even get non beer drinkers over to good beer. People that find beer disgusting, I find them beer they like. I also have a youtube channel, where I review beer, among other things.

6. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (540) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

I've tried to meet other craft beer fans to enrich each other's experience. I've gone to a bottle share recently. My biggest thing is to try and listen when talking beer with people to what they like then I try to suggest and share beers that I feel will expand their horizons. I got a couple guys hooked on Little Sumpin Sumpin just hanging out at a bar when they would have been drinking Coors instead. Any beer that I get that's "rare" or seasonal or tough to find, I only open with others. If I can't share the experience with someone, then it's not really all that fun for me. I also try to continue trying new beers to learn more about beer and support other craft breweries. I try to focus my normal beer funds on local breweries that deserve my business. I give them the benefit of the doubt and continue trying their beers even when some don't work out. I host beer tastings at my house for 6-10 friends a few times a year. I also try to tweet beer releases and any good beer finds to help others that I know. I also don't judge other people's beer choices. I've recently started to trade to help BAs taste some of the beers I enjoy locally. I'm not big on trading rare locals for rare locals. I tend to buy what my friends and I will drink or if I have an extra bottle or two, I'll trade it to regions that don't get the beer at all. Just in the past few months, I've learned so much just reading things on this site as well as some conversations with others. It's a great community to be a part of.

7. I usually make my beers runs on my lunch break. Every 6 pack i purchase, I hand out 2 bottles to 2 unsuspecting people at work and tell them what to expect from the beer. So far everyone has come back to ask questions and find out where to buy more beer like that.

Today I puchased a 6-er of Odd Sides CPA, and one bottle went to the hottie that sits directly next to me and one to someone in the office at the other end of the building.

8. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I don't think I am. I love beer but don't get caught up in the politics and emotions that many here do. I buy what's in my market. I drink it. I look forward to the next one, be it an old fave or something new. I spend no time turning people on because they'll just end up drinking my beer.

JxExM likes this.
  9. I stand up for the "boring," the "underwhelming," and the "yellow."

10. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (485) Texas Jul 3, 2011

First of all, excellent thread; and dang! I wrote a note to myself a week ago to start a thread like this. Nowadays I just try to talk to my Texas friends about beer when it comes up, and they'll sometimes ask my opinion on something. Two of them really want to home-brew with me, but I am not ready for that. Still too much to explore off the shelf in TX. I am doing less advocacy type stuff because I am busier and I don't have my core beer tasting CA friends in Texas.

In CA, I started a monthly beer tasting group for people who had a range of experience with craft beer, from none to some-- not one of us was an expert. I'd open each meeting with some info, generally something printed from the info part of this website, and talk for a few minutes. Then we'd get into tasting different off the shelf beers selected by me with a theme, e.g. Around the world in 5 beers (different styles and regions in short format), or Oktoberfest (German beers).

We'd talk about the beers, and I'd give some info on the style and whatever else might be fun to know. I started this with a few friends who wanted to do it before our first real meeting, and through word of mouth it grew to be decent sized. It was very casual, and there was no fire and brimstone. One thing that appealed to everyone was that it was not a walefest, nor even a really great beer only thing; beer just had to be off the shelf, preferably year round so people could find it a month later and try similar ones. I wanted to do this in TX but have not had the time or enthusiasm from people, so I'm not pushing it.

I also wrote two articles for a college newspaper in CA. The first article was preachy but informative. The second was some recommendations for summer, with a humorous but great argument on why craft can be much better than BMC to a college students (more alcohol per dollar in many cases).

11. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I think the fact that most of us beer drinkers can have relatively civilized conversations ( even arguments ) about everything under the sun, without (normally) resorting to violence and pettiness, makes us Beer Advocates.

12. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Aside from the passing out at parties, pretty much none of the above. <rimshot>

Seriously though? Sometimes I wonder if the Bros, with the benefit of hindsight, might have given the site a different name. The site advocates beer. And yes, by extension, as members, we can choose to interpret that to mean that we are advocates of beer too. But mostly I think this is a place for like-minded people to share their interest in and passion for great beer. I don't think it means we should feel compelled to go out into the world and advocate for beer. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that. But let's face it, there are far more important causes to use your time advocating for, if you're so inclined.

Anyway, among a few of my friends and family I'm known as the beer geek, and I'm always happy to suggest a good beer to someone if they give me a few pointers on what they like or don't like. But I have absolutely zero interest in trying to "convert" people to good beer if they haven't expressed an interest in it. And besides, around these parts it's pretty hard not to find good beer as we're basically awash in the stuff.

JxExM likes this.
  13. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

i wait til limited releases come out, then I take a day off work and drive to 20 different stores and buy 6 cases so I can trade it.......just kidding, who would do that? o_O

14. I feel like the majority of folks on this website aren't really and truly "Beer" advocates. It is more like you are all either IPA advocates or Stout/Imperial stout advocates and THAT'S IT. Every other style outside of those genres seem to get no advocacy on here. Just an observation.

I also don't try to "convert" people. I try to bring to my friend's attention who already drink craft different beers that they may not be aware of and suggest they try it.

highdesertdrinker and JxExM like this.
  15. Cyrion

Cyrion Aficionado (165) Virginia Mar 1, 2013

Advocacy, at its root, is sharing. One thing that really promotes the sharing aspect of beer is that the portions are so darn handy. If you want to share wine, you've gotta buy an entire bottle and your friend has to be physically present so you can split the bottle before the wine goes bad. With beer, you can buy two decent sixers for the same price as a cheaper wine and give a bottle to 11 other people, who then have the option to drink the 12-ounce at their convenience. With a sweet set-up like this, how can you not spread a little love around?

16. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I give beer to any of my friends that show an interest in trying new things. I hold tastings at my house for many common styles and these tastings usually have people who are already beer geeks down to people who haven't had hardly any craft. I try and gently convince restaraunt and small bar owners I come across to get more craft on the menu and give it a try, they may be surprised.

17. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

One thing I do is offer some friendly advice to people who seem to be struggling with the beer menu at the bar where I drink. I pretty much stay abreast of what's on, and can make a recommendation based on what they say they like. They almost always thank me upon tasting the recommended beer, which I find rewarding.

18. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

I'm about a year into this now, and I've been gradually stocking my fridge with a variety of singles and bombers. I've never been invited to a tasting, but at some point I want to host one. My plan is to invite a mix of folks who are into craft and some who are not, and see what happens.

19. "What makes you a Beer Advocate?"

Hmmm, some fine points made here already, but among my personal faves would be:
    • Sharing a great/rare/limited beer
    • Acknowleding the importance of Ding in general BA lore
    • Accepting the fact that a lot of people like only BMC beers
    • Growing a mustache for no reason whatsoever
    • Knowing the "real" way to pronounce gueuze ;)

20. 1. I will speak passionately about craft beer but will never push it down someone's throat because in the end, it can turn people off and that's not the idea.

2. If a discussion starts to escalate, I just smile, brush it off, respect the other person's opinion and change the subject...after all, to me, it's about enjoying the beer while conversing with other people; no beer is ever worth getting in an argument over. If it's a friend or an acquaintance, the beer will be gone tomorrow but people won't be, it's easier to do damage control with a bad bottle of beer as opposed to mending a sore spot in a relationship.

3. I try to share generously and not be a greedy Stinky Pete whether it be shipping beer or sharing beer with friends and others who show an interest.

4. Gives others an opportunity to try something, especially after you've had a particular beer. Case in point, was at a PtY release a few years ago and I already had the opportunity to have one that day and enjoyed the heck out of it. Later on I ordered another one and at that moment, the spouse of someone in our group just walked in and never tried it before, was all pumped, placed his order, and was then told they just kicked the keg. The look on his face was disappointment x10; I just smiled and handed him my glass (I paid for it) and ordered something else instead. It made both of our nights because he finally got to try it and I had no regrets about doing the right thing.

5. If I acquire a hard to find bottle I will hold on to it and split with other beer geek friends so we can all enjoy the experience as opposed to downing the entire bottle myself.

6. If the host of a party serves bad beer or makes me really mad I forego the bathroom and pee on their shrubbery... (O.K.....I was just kidding about that one!)

nsheehan likes this.
  21. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

I'm not a beer advocate. I'm just some dude who likes to try a wide variety of beer and brew some of my own.

SteelersX likes this.
  22. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Do these threads only get started when someone is hammered?

23. dalepryor

dalepryor Savant (380) Texas Aug 30, 2007

I try and share my passion and hobby with people, and do my best to introduce people to craft. For the most part though, I've realized most people don't care and I get a lot of confused looks. Oh well.

24. I brew and and share it with loved ones and strangers!