1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What makes your favorite beer store, your favorite beer store?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beergelden, Jan 15, 2013.

1. I really like a rotating selection that keeps it new every time I go in and your sure not to get a skunky beer like those mega stores out there.

I also like being able to see a tag or something that shows a BA rating and what kind of food that beer pairs well with.

What about you?

2. For me its price and having a beer guy who will save me a good bottle when a new shipment comes in

3. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (820) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Totally agree. Mine saves bottles, tells me about new stuff and gives valued customers a 10% discount on any purchase. A store where you know half the people's names and are always saying hi when you walk in. It helps to go a lot too.

Willbfun and EdelweissDad like this.
  4. cproioi

cproioi Savant (325) Ohio Apr 6, 2006

The one I help out at.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  5. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

The one that's a minute away from my apartment.

checktherhyme and creepinjeeper like this.
  6. Refrigerated beer

7. great selection
    competitive prices
    large single selection
    imports
    Beer guy that you can rap with and appreciates your business

8. A weekly beer tasting makes Ball Square Fine Wines my favorite.

9. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

There's a small likker sto' near me that is run by a guy that loves beer as much as I do. While not the largest selection, he always has new stuff coming in that intrigues me. I've found stuff there that even the biggest stores in my town didn't have (Fade 2 Black). Plus, he'll order anything available in the state. As he said, " If I can't sell it, I'll drink it".

jtdolla911 likes this.
  10. I like stores that don't release rare beers at noon on a weekday as first come, first serve so that the same twelve people get every rare release. I also look for good international selection, I'm an international beer fiend and will go out of my way to buy stuff that I can't find elsewhere.

djrn2 likes this.
  11. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

every beer they have they offer as single bottle as well :D

jtdolla911 likes this.
  12. I don't know where you are located, but there is a place in Rockland County, NY, that does just that. You can just grab any single out of the sixers on the shelves if you like. (it is kind of annoying to come across a five-pack of something you were looking for, though- but overall I really like the place).

--Dom-- likes this.
  13. I like Redstone A lot.

Biggest factor for me is what they have for selection. Competitive pricing is a must. Twitter/website with new arrivals is great. Frequent tastings are always good too.

jtdolla911 likes this.
  14. Love Redstone, Kamal is a great guy and will help you out with special orders or bringing in specific beers/breweries.

15. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

They don't have enough room for all their beer and the aisles are overflowing and they have a HUGE cigar selection...and newly installed taps for tasting events and growler fills!!!

16. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

My favorite beer store is my favorite beer store because they have a great selection and great people that work there. The co-owner has already told me that he'll put some Parabola aside for me when it comes it. Hopefully he'll do the same for some KBS. Also, it's quite a small store but it definitely is a hidden gem in Rhode Island that few know about.

17. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

It's small, mom and pop shop that always greets me by my first name when I walk in. Any bottle can be purchased as a single. The owner is very up to date on new releases and gets things that chain stores don't. I've actually become a bigger BA just by shopping at this store and always talking to the owner about all things beer related.

He's also retired military (I'm active) and we chat about that sort of stuff as well. I've had a few rare bottles saved for me when he knew I was out of town for work.

18. Willbfun

Willbfun Aficionado (150) New York Sep 28, 2012

Heights Beer & Wine Emporium in Jersey. It's right down the hill from where I live plus they have a great selection & a friendly staff also they have in store taste testings on friday & saturday but they're usually wine or occasionally booze. Flying Fish was there once Saranac & Modelo that girl cinco de mayo was/is a goddess. shirley from clifton.

djrn2 likes this.
  19. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (760) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

I love State Line in Elkton, MD. Great selection, family owned, really care about service , beer guys that really know what they are talking about, and the fact that they hold bottles for me is great!

RichardMNixon and CKYnick01 like this.
  20. Agreed.

Pricing is always a plus. And I've had the same beer guy at multiple locations and he always keeps me in the loop when certain thing are coming in or will even order stuff upon request.

21. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (665) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Corks & Kegs, Richmond VA...because I work there and we do more "product research" than any other shop in RVA

Only topped by Winooski Beverage Warehouse up in VT, because that's where I get my Heady Topper from.
    Cheers

22. selection is the number one thing i look for. and it doesn't have to be overwhelming - i'd prefer quality - a thoughtfully put together collection, with an eye toward new releases. fresh stock, too (obviously with respect to hoppy stuff in particular). i can forgive mediocre customer service if those items are offered.

23. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Good selection
    Good price
    Knowledgeable staff
    Having them set a bottle aside for me without even having to ask

nogophers, Lipsntoes and Willbfun like this.
  24. Mopps

Mopps Aficionado (175) Virginia Dec 17, 2012

Great people,great selection and close proximity are always a good combo.

25. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Savant (340) California Feb 1, 2011

Realistically and simply because they have what I want.

Extra points for great selection to experiment with new stuff when I'm inclined, they bring in seasonals and special releases and issue coupons to save you money

26. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

The owner and everyone that works there is very friendly and super helpful. They know beer very well. They stock more beer than they do liquor, so that says a lot. Rob has a pretty extensive list of beer in the cellar and you never know what he's going to bring out next. He's always going the extra mile to get more inventory for his customers because he loves beer and loves what he does. Here's a page from their site, but there's always more on hand than what's on this list...
    http://www.goebelliquor.com/beers.php

27. Wow! Looks like this thread was resurrected! Anyone feel that a Cicerone's input is important? Or is it just the beer talk and recommendations based on personal drinking experience that you think are important? To me if there is someone with training to tell me why something is good, it makes a difference in their credibility.

28. I haven't been to my favorite beer store in 6 months. The truth is LOCATION is the #1 reason for me.

Gone are the days of limited seleciton, now it seems every mom and pop store around me carries a huge selection of quality craft beer. So if I'm limited to ONLY the entire Stone line, Sculpin, Jack's Abby, all the major Belgians, etc.... well... I guess I can live with not having the good stuff every so often.

29. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Savant (345) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Gives me free samples!

30. Location, selection, freshness of product and most importantly (for me)...a willingness to please the customer. Actual story...I was in my local shop when i saw the manager (who I've spoken with on several occasions about beer) placing an order with the local distributor rep. I asked him if they ever get the Oaked Arrogant Bastard, since I love the regular AB. He said they've gotten it before but since it's so expensive people don't buy it, so they stopped ordering it. I said that's a shame I've been really wanting to try it. The manager then placed an order for a fresh case of the Oaked, knowing that I'd probably only pick up a 4 pack or two. That's why this place gets my business.

31. Singles, selection, and price.

mrcraft likes this.
  32. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

mine's also sort of a bar / lounge. one side is beer store, other side has 5 rotating taps. also, for small corkage fee you can drink any beer you buy there. dudes who work there are cool and knowledgable. always have good music playing

no, i don't work there. just stoked on it http://sunsetbeerco.com/

33. Things that keep me coming back:
    -Solid selection (good mix of styles and breweries)
    -A selection of German Lagers (I don't expect much here, but chuck a lager lover a bone)
    -Reasonable prices (within $1 of what normal humans living in my area are paying)
    -A quality bourbon selection (always nice to kill two birds with one stone)
    -Staff that is friendly (They don't even have to be knowledgeable, just smile and you're on my thumbs up list)

Things I wish stores had, but they never do:
    -Fresh beers (a man can dream)
    -Beers stored at proper temps (again, a man can dream)
    -Beers shielded from too much light (insert the opening line of the song "Dreamer" by Supertramp)

Things I don't particularly want, but I understand why they are there:
    -Beeradvocate/ratebeer ratings (the rating that matters is the rating I give it)
    -Suggestions on foods to pair with the beer (I usually have a better suggestion of my own, ha ha)

Things that will make me walk out of a store regardless of the selection, price, etc.:
    -Rush Limbaugh on the store PA

34. I have been to alot of beer stores in my travels and the number 1 thing that makes a good beer store is FRESH BEER!!i don't care what u have or what your prices are.i don't care what u know about beer because I already know what I want.nothing worse than getting home and realizing the ipa u got was bottled 8 months ago.should be illegal.all the other stuff is a bonus.give me fresh beer or put it on sale!!!!!!

35. How is their bottle selection? I still need to check it out.

36. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i think it's one of the best in the city. the biggest advantage is freshness. they seem to rotate through beer like crazy. that plus constant array of new beers. the only downside is consistency. if you have a beer you buy there and like, chances are they won't have it next time. keeps it interesting though

i definitely recommend checking it out. wednesday nights are fun. if you "like" them on Facebook you will get updates on when they get new beers in.

also, 10% off if you buy a case of anything

37. I second this, great knowledgeable staff who are willing to help, and an overwhelming selection of US craft and Import beer.

larryi86 and RichardMNixon like this.
  38. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

What makes my favorite beer store #1 is...
    *Great people who run it
    *Large selection of single bottles
    *No markup on singles
    *Weekly beer tastings
    *Growler Fills (newly added)
    *They will try to order anything in that they do not carry and you are interested in.
    *Rotate stock to keep stock fresh

39. My favorite beer store is made by the person who runs the beer department. I struck up a conversation with him about a year ago, and we've been friends since. I normally only go in when I know he's working, and I take the time to talk to him. He's a good person, enjoyable to converse with, very knowledgeable about beer, and he saves me beer whenever I request something special that I know is coming in. He also lets me know if there's anything new or anything he's stashing in the back for his regulars. He's also done a great job of turning their beer selection from solid to great even though it's a smaller store. He doesn't have the resources or display area a Binny's would, but he does the best he can with the store.

The only time I buy beer elsewhere is at a brewery I'm visiting, or if it's something I know he doesn't have in stock.

40. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

Reasonable prices, email alerts for new arrivals, doesn't say "*insert beer that store doesn't have* isn't even that good" like that neckbeard at WLV.