1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What makes your favorite beer store, your favorite beer store?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beergelden, Jan 15, 2013.

1. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (345) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

I wish I could post for this one, but since I am part of the store, all I can say that
    "You need to have sales personnel that are trained and honest"
    Really simple

Eastside151 likes this.
  2. Chris77McGrath

Chris77McGrath Savant (280) Ohio Feb 8, 2013

I like a store that has friendly people, with good suggestions, and will take requests.

MadWolf likes this.
  3. It's close by.

4. OneLowChevy

OneLowChevy Zealot (85) California Mar 21, 2009

Selection and price are what i go for.

5. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I basically have two options. Store A has slightly lower prices on a lot of 4 and 6 packs but their mix 6 selection is not very good. Store B has more beers available as singles but they juack up the price and then give you a 10% discount for buying 6 of them. Store A has wayyyy better foreign offerings and Store B is geared towards the college crowd. Basically I go to Store A when I'm browsing for something new and Store B if I want to get in and out for something speciific.

I guess after all that I really don't have a favorite beer store.

6. Superdad

Superdad Aficionado (105) Sep 1, 2012

Having a great selection of craft brews and being helpful with suggestions. They are also pretty good at placing special orders whenever possible. Ive gotten at least 30 kegs from them over the past two years , most of which were craft brews.

7. Mine has to be:

http://www.thewinestop.com/beer.html

8. My favorite beer place is in Vermont, Winooski : Warehouse Beverage store. I'm from montreal and everytine i went to vermont, i wrote i email to Jen and George (owner) and they keep me some HT or Lawsons finest liquids ,even if those beer are quickly sold out. Truly amazing for me cuz i dont have the chance to drink those incredible beer !!

9. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

nice owner/staff and a good selection...

oh, and no ancient IPAs. Please don't offer me a 6 pk of sucks in june.

10. The one I love the most is my local brewery, they're the only ones who truly give a damn about their beer which is more than I can say about most 'beer' stores.

dawg1969 likes this.
  11. JHE73

JHE73 Aficionado (165) California Mar 7, 2013

Selection, selection, selection. And the beer manager is outstanding at her job

12. Variety...I couldn't give two shits about anything else.

13. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Savant (295) Oregon Mar 17, 2013

price and aviailability

14. The store I work at obviously gives me awesome prices as I pay cost, but has a medium sized selection. We're growing and getting better releases slowly but surely. There's 2/3 other stores I shop at that are even a bit pricy compared to our list prices, but have a much better selection so I stop by once every couple weeks or so.

15. TommyLiam

TommyLiam Savant (265) Arizona Jun 10, 2013

Bottleworks in Wallingford, Seattle. It's within walking distance, has a smart draft selection, good retail quantity/turnover, they order stuff for me if I ask and the staff is honest and knowledgable when I ask their opinion. The markup over large chains is small and worth what I get in return.

16. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

They know the styles I like, and point out new beers they're carrying in those styles.

They try to expand my range--asking why I like the styles I do, and then suggest beers in new styles.

For styles that don't age well (e.g., IPAs!) their beer is fresh.

They bring in beer not otherwise available to me.

They have real expertise and a real love of craft beer.

(Note: Fitting all these criteria: Artale in Rockford, Illinois.)

17. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Love going back to places that will have random cool stuff on the shelves and a good beer guy is also key! I've got a couple aces like this up my sleeve but the friendships w the beer guys is one of the best parts!

18. Much like my favorite tap room, turnover and thoughtful selection are the keys.

19. I guess you didn't look under his avatar. He's in MO.
    FYI - there's places in Dutchess County NY, Putnam County NY and Westchester County NY that sell single bottles as well.

20. dawg1969

dawg1969 Aficionado (140) Florida Aug 9, 2010

I would have to say a place where they know your name, what you like to drink and always keep fresh beer in stock. Kingdom Liquor is that place for me! Dpaq knows what I like and if he receives a small shipment of good beers he puts one aside for me and gives me a call. If something new comes out he lets me know the rating and if it's something I may enjoy. Him and his wife are great people, I even play at their wine and beer tasting for free.

21. State Line on the DE/MD border does that as well, it's awesome.

22. HisBoyElroy

HisBoyElroy Savant (295) Michigan Mar 4, 2013

Variety is the biggest thing. If I want beer conversation I will go to a local brewery.