1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What makes your favorite beer store your favorite?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beergelden, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Sorry, I had to post this one again, I got the 'awaiting moderation' stern looking into.......

I like a good rotating selection to keep it fresh and new each time and BA rankings so I don't have to break out my phone and look something up if I have never seen it before.
    Potential food pairings are always a plus too.

What do you think?

2. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

I work at a beerstore, so I guess I'm a bit subjective...

3. having a well curated selection goes without saying, but past that, a knowledgeable and friendly staff and prices that are fair. for me its pretty simple

dianimal, chuckstout and mecummins like this.
  4. Price selection and freshness.

chuckstout and GoGators like this.
  5. Selection and service, followed by proximity to my home

frazbri and Pecan like this.
  6. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Fresh>Variety>$$
    I don't need service, I know what I want.

Rekrule likes this.
  7. Gotta love a store that hosts tastings regularly, carries all the right beer, and has smooth jazz playing during its long hours.

Arodnum1 and nickapalooza86 like this.
  8. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I don't have a favorite beer store...

I them all the same!

9. I dont how I forgot this.......... quality draft brews to drink while you shop!

10. Or that guy that always seems to be there, talking beer with the employees.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  11. Mix and match 6 packs so I can sample a lot of different things.
    Walk in beer coolers with cases and 1/6 kegs of good craft beer.

ColinStClaire and wiscokid920 like this.
  12. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Fresh beer, great communication, willingness to help out regulars and newcomers alike and a staff that knows their stuff.

13. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (530) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

The people that work at my local shop with the best selection are dicks. Which sucks. So im forced to be nice to them in order to get hook ups.

14. The fact that nobody knows of it... and they are cheaper than anyone else, especially on the limited releases.

I swear one of these days I'm going look up and there's going to be 5 BA's next to me.
    But it aint happened yet ;)

15. Good singles selection
    imports of many styles and sizes
    competitive prices
    fresh beer

16. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Having my favorite beer.

17. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

I have not found mine yet. There is not much in my area.

Total Wine fills a nice void but sometimes the product is not as fresh.
    Honestly Trader Joe's is where I buy a lot of my beer since they sell a good variety and don't have a ton of space so I know the product is moving.

18. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Clean, well lit, organized for the physical aspects
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff, unobtrusive if you want to browse.
    Mix a six, good selection and rotation.

19. pick any 6 pack capability...and a lot of good belgian selections

20. They know my name, ask how I've been, and talk to me like a friend. It's not all about them selling a product. Shit, sometimes they tell me to go somewhere else.

21. Staff that's friendly and not smug or a know-it-all, good selection, reasonable prices and close proximity...in that order.

22. Staff first. The place that I go to for the vast majority of my purchases has a fantastic staff who are always ready with a recommendation, are quick to grab and hold something, and often call the distributors while I am there to see if they can get what I asked for. It helps that they have a good selection, the selection is fresh, and they have good prices.

23. They are next to a strip club. Seriously.

24. One that doesn't remove the canned on date from the bottom of the Oskar Blues cans. *cough*

SammyJaxxxx and Horbar like this.
  25. I have several favorites. Although the most memorable store did have a good selection of Belgian chocolates. Beer and chocolate!

26. timc100

timc100 Savant (315) Illinois Aug 13, 2012

Knowledgeable, interesting, chill staff - there's always something new to learn. Great selection and respect for regulars. Oh, and has to have a great whiskey selection

27. bellce0

bellce0 Aficionado (220) Georgia Feb 20, 2010

Ditto!

28. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I work there and make it like I would want ANY craft beer store.

El_Chupahueso likes this.
  29. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

For me, it's all about passion for the brew. There are places around with better prices and more convenient locations for me, but the owner, manager, and staff at my favorite place are as obsessed with beer as I am, and I love them for it.

30. Well there is only one pure craft store in my area so that helps them, but that aside.... Opens bottles while I am in, offering sample bottles, great deals and well just all around friendly. I am just glad I have a place to go for craft in my area!

31. Freshness, Price, and Selection in that order.

Don't care a whole lot about staff or service.

32. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

FRESH IPA'S!!!!
    So hard to find consistency.

Whimpers likes this.
  33. The owner is there all the time and frequently makes a trip to the back room, returning with bottle or 2 of BCBS, KBS........Great selection, and in close proximity to home.

34. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

The fact that the owner ages a ton and you can walk in there at any given time and find a 3 year old BCBS, kbs etc

El_Chupahueso likes this.
  35. Selection. A good staff. If they don't have something they'll tell you when it's coming in. Also the store near me has a Facebook page where they post when they get in a hot item like Lag Sucks or Flower Power.

36. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

We're so lucky in my town to have a store where the owner is a real aficionado who has hired a Cicerone as well. Both are really passionate about beer. They push me to try new styles and know what I should start with when I do, and they also know my favorites. It's rare when they don't have something new for me to try, and they're almost never wrong.

And I don't have to worry about freshness. They know what needs to move fast and what can age.

37. Knowledgable staff for sure.

38. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

The best beer store around me is about 35min away but it has a great selection of singles and 4-6packs. My favorite store is right down the road and everyone knows me their an always sits new stuff to the side for me to try. They also have a pretty good selection. But it's all singles so its hard to make a 6pack of a normal beer.

39. The one I go to is family owned, every beer beats Binnys prices by like $2 or more usually. Very nice selection for a tiny place. Whenever I ask if he has a certain beer he orders it for me if he doesnt already have it. So all those things are huge to me.

40. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Savant (325) Kansas Feb 16, 2009

Good selection. Manager is a bigger beer geek than me. And it's 3 miles from the house.