1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What makes your favorite beer store your favorite?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beergelden, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I love a place when the clerk asks me if I would like to purchase a Dirty Horse with my 6 pack of Flower Power.
    Plus I want every employee to be a Master Cicerone and I want every IPA to be bottled that morning.
  2. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Pricing and freshness.
  3. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

This, in that order.
  4. Price and selection and the biggest thing which is I dont fight the general public for hot items because not lots of people know about the spot as being a very nice craft beer place.
  5. Like a store that keeps a good selection and keeps it fresh. Also like a large cold selection in addition to warm.
  6. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Unfortunately, I'm currently looking for a favorite, as the beer manager at my old favorite store left and now manages a store a bit too far from me to travel to regularly. His old store has started to go downhill lately.
  7. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

gengle likes this.
  8. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

Good selection, state minimum pricing, location!
  9. Low prices, great selection, sells singles, fresh stock.
  10. The one I work at. Best selection in Canada, and I get 15% discount.
  11. Customer service, why? I love to see someone new to beer in a store and the staff takes them under their wing and guides them to the glory land. Too many times i have been in a place with 500-600 different beers and theres a person with this look on their face like they are looking at a UFO and some jackass behind the counter is texting or whatever else.
    ggwheeler and Zach136 like this.
  12. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

Their beer geek must have the "passion".. when I come in and start asking questions, they say "get the gimp"... and then bring out a beer freak that I can relate to
    Auslander and ficklenicholas like this.
  13. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Working at a store I am subjective as well. I'll go above and beyond to bring in whatever we can (within reason). Our prices may not be better than all the other stores in town, but the staff is knowledgeable and well informed, honest, straight forward and doesn't push crappy beer. All the new beers we bring in, have been requested by customers or employees. Some macro crap gets delivered for sure, but for the craft consumer, that really isn't a concern.

Bottom line...We know our stuff, we may not have everything, and we may not be the cheapest on everything. But we know our beer, if you have requests, we'll accommodate them, and we are not going to push crap beer on you. We are selling an experience, and our customer service comes first.
  14. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

I have a minimum threshold on selection, but after that it's all about the customer service/staff attitude. My current shop gives frequent updates to what new selections came in, has experienced staff, and happens to have a genuinely decent guy for an owner (a sad rarity for anything with money involved).

I also really like that I don't get kicked out for spending over an hour browsing and drooling before I finally make my purchase.....
  15. What makes my favorite beer store my favorite? It's not so much the selection, but knowing that ALL the beer (craft and BMC alike) is properly refrigerated.
  16. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

My favorite store is actually a wine store with a beer department. I think what makes it so good is the fact that the guy in charge of the beer enjoys craft beer and is very knowledgeable about it. This very different from some liquor stores that look at beer as just a product to sell.
  17. The selection and the staff. They add new beers about twice a week, and always have great stuff. The beer manager is an awesome guy who knows a ton about beer. The rest of the staff is really friendly and helpful, and will go look up things for you (to the best of their ability) if the beer manager is not working. Generally welcoming environment. I got there frequently.
  18. My place makes lists for special releases (which they get 99% of, which is rare in this part of LA due to shitty distribution companies) which guarantees you at least 1 bottle. Knowledgable and nice. Takes care of their regulars, and by this I don't mean a "Good Ole Boys" network. But they recognize that i spend a TON of money there and treat me as such. For example, i went in yesterday and they had Pliny and Blind Pig (limit 1). Picked up one of each and went to pay for it and the manager said: "go grab another of each if you want, that sign is just there so i don't get cleaned out by the douche-bags"
  19. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

Trick question. Any store that sells beer that I am currently in, is my favorite.
  20. There are quite a few stores in my general vicinity and each one has a particular thing or two which I like. One has less of a selection but lower prices on new releases and seasonals so that's my go to for those. Another has a great selection and keeps all of their beer in coolers with shaded doors so if I'm looking for an old favorite, that's my go to for those. And there's also a beer bar there where they pressure filled growlers so I get 90% of my growlers filled there. Still another is in another state with different distribution so that's my go to for beers I can't get in the state I live. You get the picture.
  21. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

I imagine it would be the same reasons for almost anyone. Good selection, good prices and good service. My current favorites are Bine & Vine in San Diego and South Bay Liquor in Chula Vista.
    Pecan likes this.
  22. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Id have to ask my butler, as he is the one that does my shopping for me.

WALEZ BRO.

But in all seriousness; fresh selection with helpful, social, and knowledgable staff is what I look for.
  23. I can always count on my favorite beer store to have at least one thing on draft that I've never tried before, and often something I've never even heard of before.
  24. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

Availability of Pipeworks beers is a key factor for me.
    planbee likes this.
  25. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (310) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

For me it's simple: I keep returning because of the hot girl that works there! Oh and the prices are good.