1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What makes your local bottle shop awesome and why?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Davihaw, Feb 5, 2013.

?

What draws you to your local bottle shop?

1. Location

8.2%
  2. Knowledge

12.3%
  3. Price

6.8%
  4. Tastings

5.5%
  5. Selection

67.1%
  1. Davihaw

Davihaw Savant (320) Illinois Jun 19, 2012

I have about 6 local bottle shops I call "my store". Some of them I go to because they get higher allocations of "rare" beers and some I go to because the staff is knowledgeable and fun. I've started going to some new ones that offer tastings from the owner's personal cellar or bottles customers bring him. Just curious what makes you go to your shop again and again.
  2. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Basically the free tasting on Tuesdays :p Seriously though the people that work at "my" bottle shop are extremely knowledgeable about beer and more importantly they are excited about beer.
  3. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Every Friday there is a tasting. Sadly, I have yet to make one!
  4. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

(X) All of the above
    Fantasy_Factory likes this.
  5. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

a few educate me and have very unusual things I've never even heard of before.
    I have 1 about 40 min away that gets rare beers, and unlike the 3 shops by home, only sells out in a few days, instead of 30 min or less. They're my go to shop for yummy 1 time releases.
  6. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Selection first, location second.

Plenty of stores around with great selections, so location tends to be the next big thing. As long as the customer service isn't rude/disrespectful I don't need much for that, but the store I go to the guys are very friendly and customer oriented, which is a nice bonus.
  7. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Mine? Mine is awesome because it has one of the best craft beer bars in the state attached to it...and you can drink anything from the store in the bar.

So i voted "tastings"

http://www.topsliquors.com/

(oh and i can walk there from my house.... : ) )
  8. I went with location, since central PA is pretty much a wasteland. The selection is poor and the prices suck, but there's not much else around.
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

My local store http://www.facebook.com/Elizabethstation?ref=ts&fref=ts , has a great selection of bottles for both on & off site sales, draft beers at $3 a pour (pints for most things, 10oz goblets for some rare/big beers), nice sandwiches, a cereal bar, and is both dog and kid friendly.
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I have gotten pretty picky. My primary bottle shop has a fellow ba working there who I also trade with when I can. Heknows his shit and has never lead me astray. My secondary bottle shop has a few gems in the back that keep me coming back for more and yet another ba works there. My tertiary shop is very small and always has stuff on the shelf nobody else does. Between the three there is nothing I can't find.
  11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Total Wine & BevMo - Price, location, selection. Quite a few here in the valley depending on where I am in my car that day. Love that convenience, plus not overpaying for identical products.
  12. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

I feel blessed to have such a wonderful shop about 2 miles away. Everyone is friendly, selection is great, beer tasting every Thursday and they have 5 taps for growler pours at geat prices. i.e. Palate Wrecker for $11.
  13. The fact that my bottle shop is run and owned by friends of mine and they hold things for me just to give me ten percent off. Onky shitty part is its in NH and we are fairly limited...
  14. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

I have several options. I have a close, very small shop, only about a 5 minute walk from my apt. They have A growler bar and 4 fridge spacings. They are not the place to go if you want something specific, but they are a great place to go if you want an interesting beer that you might not have had before.
    I have my favorite place to actually hang out, with a great selection of bottles and taps, and a knowledgeable staff. Great atmosphere. Trouble is things can get pricey quickly.
    I also have another spot with the largest bottle selection, mostly American. Good atmosphere, good pricing. I have another mainly growler spot, relatively close, larger selection than the first, but worse than the other two. They probably have the staff that is most like me in age and interests. Best atmosphere of the choices.
    And finally I have a further out spot that is notable for it's excellent selection, unique taps and AMAZING sandwiches.
    I should mention all these but the first are also drink on premises friendly.
  15. The Beer Trappe, mainly because BEERchitect works there. Selection is awesome, but the guy is a beeropedia of knowledge and thoroughly enjoys the craft of craft. Not trying to sound too mancrushly. Although if it weren't for him, I may not have gotten Heady.
    KYGunner and BEERchitect like this.
  16. whudathunkett

whudathunkett Zealot (95) Minnesota Oct 30, 2010

Sometimes they just pull out the hidden special release when try see me, and that's nice.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

The place I shop isn't the cheapest, and is slightly out of my way but I like the people that work there and it is a mom and pop business so I like to give them support. Their selection is great, and they have free tastings of five different (usually new) beers every thursday. They post all their new stuff on Facebook/Twitter and they hold special things for me. I really couldn't ask for more.

I can't pick just one option on the poll.
    SatlyMalty likes this.
  18. It is awesome because the employees do not snatch up all the limited releases.
  19. I like the fact that a lot of the beers are old and they pound people in the arse price wise. I also like how when someone I know bought beer that ended up being 6 months past the marked date they wouldn't take it back as a "matter of policy". Barbs beer in Concord NH is sharthole with a decent selection of skunked gems.
  20. Need to add the 'Staff' option. That, and selection and location.
  21. State Line doesn't mess around with these silly little "mix-6 corners" or whatever. They put six packs on the shelves. Every bottle there has a 6-pack price and an individual price. Every bottle in the store. You want one narhwal? Take it out of the 4 pack and into your basket.
    luwak likes this.
  22. I use about a half dozen stores in my area and shop depending on which stores carry the beer I want to drink and has a good chance to be fresh. Lately I shop at more mom and pop type places and second and third tier stores than stores that cater to beer geeks. One store always orders flower power whenever possible, lets me buy as much as he has in stock (which lasts longer since beer geeks don't shop there) and gives me a 10% discount on a case. Another tiny store always has fresh Drifter, another carries Ipswich Oatmeal stout on the regular etc.. There's a beer geek centric store that is very close to my house, so I stroll through there if there is some seasonal beer that I want, or I don't know exactly what I want - but don't trust the freshness on most of the styles that I like to drink.
  23. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

Allowing me (or anyone else) to take singles of anything. This should be the first rule of any beer store.
    luwak likes this.
  24. Singles, selection, price in that order.