1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What ridiculously expensive beer should I buy for new years?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCImes, Dec 15, 2012.

1. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

So once a year for new years I like to splurge and get a bottle that I would never otherwise justify trying. usually things >$25.

So, with price no object, what is the best expenxive beer I should try? Im in MN so keep geography in mind. Suggest something new or vote from the list.

Ive had:
    Deus
    Infinium
    Oakerney Dark Island reserve
    De Oude Cam (oude gueuze)

Your thoughts?
  2. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

gueuze seems very New Years to me
  3. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

a SA Utopias, then shotgun that bitch!
  4. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Xyauyu Etichetta Rame, Argento, or Oro.
    lemongelo, aasher, Hanzo and 7 others like this.
  5. MCImes

I forgot to add some of my other favorites that I need an excuse to buy:

Nogne Red or Sweet horizion
    Hanssens Experimental Cassis
    Rodenbach 2007 vintage
    anything with Sorachi Ace hops
  6. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

The Bruery's Fruet or Cuir - if you like bourbon barrel-aged old ales, that is (cost ~$36?) - these were really excellent and decadent. Don't know about their distribution.
    aasher, Gash, shutyourface and 5 others like this.
  7. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (455) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

8. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

Shit I brought a bottle of Black Tuesday and bourbon with me last year to share. No one wanted the BT at the end of the night and I finished the bottle thinking a Black Tuesday White Russian was a good idea. I was drunk and had a great time, all was good in the world. Just know whatever you drink may not be drank in such an appropriate manner at the end of the night.

Go with something you like but usually never spring for or something you have wanted but hesitated. I am not sure about availability so I will give that general suggestion.
    Neorebel, ASUBeer and hardy008 like this.
  9. 5 Calling Birds
    commis likes this.
  10. C2H5

C2H5 Savant (435) Illinois Jan 7, 2012

Saw a guy on craigslist with a 600$ brick of westy 12, that's pretty ridiculous
    Gash, fickenmeimirish and franklinn like this.
  11. This.
    jdmandel and Gash like this.
  12. I'll be cracking one of my fruet. And will probably have to finish it myself.
    jdmandel and fujindemon74 like this.
  13. Man up and drink that delicious brew yo :)
    jdmandel, MattyG85 and homebrewer88 like this.
  14. No idea what you can get there, but Scaldis Prestige is expensive as f and kinda worth it...
    cnbrown313 likes this.
  15. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (315) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

A nice S.A. Utopias maybe a Westy 12 if you were lucky enough to get a brick :D
  16. I saw an 80$ gigantic bottle of Double Bastard at the store the other day. That would be an eventful evening. Haha
    Gash, AxesandAnchors, Horbar and 2 others like this.
  17. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (315) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

Now remembering the evening would be a challenge lol!
    Ivegotmule and fmccormi like this.
  18. Do you like sours? If so, 3F Schaerbeeksekeskeksksekeksekeske Kriek.
  19. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

I go with jmgrub and say some of those pricey but fancy-schmacy farmhouse-y Italian brews. That's what I'd do, certainly.

Or some big jeroboam, from Allagash or Unibroue. A 3L La Fin du Monde sounds very fitting for New Year's.
  20. MCImes

Ive always wondered about scaldis prestiege...

Of the expensive ones ive tried Deus has been the "most worth it". Its unlike any other beer ive tried.

Id love to buy an expensive/rare guezue but they're hard to find. Any recommendations on places to find some in the Twin Cities MN? I hit most the big spots in the west metro and uptown.

If I was going with a big bottle Id get the 6L bottle of St Benardus 12 for $240 and throw a crazy party themed around monks
  21. Dcv

Dcv Aficionado (240) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

A St. Bernardus abt 12 6 liter bottle
    Gash, Roocifer and Hatzilla like this.
  22. Definitely de cam
    CelticAleMan likes this.
  23. On a serious note. I'd rather just grab a couple SS stingos. Not super expensive but amazing and more available than some others mentioned.
  24. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

I have one of those beautiful 07 3L bottles of Double Bastard. It may not be $80 worth of beer but it is a badass bottle to keep around. It is the one bottle I will keep.
    Horbar, Hatzilla and Ivegotmule like this.
  25. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (260) California Aug 2, 2012

Scaldis Prestige des Nuits - $45 at my local store
  26. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (905) California Oct 13, 2007

Finding a store that "price gauges" should be a top priority ;)
  27. RDMII

RDMII Savant (290) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Fruet is an excellent choice.

Scaldis Prestige second.
  28. psychotia

psychotia Savant (350) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Found a shelf full of the Stingo, priced @ $5 and change... then promptly cleared the shelf. Love that beer.
    elephantrider likes this.
  29. Miller High Life, they say it's like the Champagne of Beers.... Just buy up as much Surly Abrasive as you can; that would be ridiculously expensive at 17-20 bucks a 4-pack.
  30. W
    Wow. It is 12.99 here in NC. Always.
  31. Agreed fell for the hype when it was first released reserved two bottles paid around 17 each. Mediocre at best. Next year decided to just get one rang up at 26 $ said no thank you an walked out. I have to laugh about it now but when I first got it, it was just when I started to get into craft full time. Thought I had like the rarest beer out there or something. Now makes me realize it was very common of Sam Adams more limited released beers cool bottle and huge retail markup
  32. haddon

haddon Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 13, 2009

pickup a few bottles of Thomas Hardy's Vintage. when else you going to bust $40 on a sixer?
  33. calcnerd

calcnerd Savant (410) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2009

You can get the giant bottles of mad elf too. That's a good winter beer. I still have a 2010 giant bottle in the cellar :)
  34. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (385) New York Jan 13, 2010

We're cracking open a 2012 Utopias and finishing what's left of the 2009 Utopias. Then cracking open some Heady Topper and maybe one or two Westys.
  35. I always go for Tripels and Saisons for new years, as I am sure many in this community do. I have a bottle of Boulevard Saison-Brett for this year, can't wait!
  36. jzand219

jzand219 Aspirant (45) Dec 3, 2012

3 Fonteinen Golden Blend
    3 Fonteinen Oude Kriek
    De Dolle Stille Nacht Reserva 2010
    Anything Cantillon if you can find it.
    Neorebel and jsm1289 like this.
  37. Deus is on sale for under $30 at Stinson Wine, Beer & Spirits.

I don't know about gueuze, but Lambickx is one of those bottles I always hesitate to drop $25 on. Zipps currently has it for $23 or so (they also have Hanssens Cassis, which I enjoyed this summer).

Heritage Liquors in Maplewood often has something special -- a special purchase may require a special trip. Ditto Dennis Brothers in Cottage Grove, which still had a bottle of Odell Woodcut #3 ($25, bottled in 2009) on the shelf about a month ago.
  38. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Savant (310) California Jul 25, 2008

Get 1 or 2 Chimay Blue magnums (1.5 L each). They are about $35 a piece, and taste great because they are aleady aged 2 years. More costly, but the built-in aging helps lessen the pain :)
  39. For me nye is more of a champagne, cognac, vodka kinda night. And its the only day of the year I actually prefer champagne or vodka. Thats just me.

If I were going beer I might go for belgian (or belgian style) quads and triples.

more importantly have a good time.
  40. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (330) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

I don't know about spending that amount of money (maybe by spending on shipping for beers not locally available?), but last year I had a nice assortment of saisons from Fantome and The Bruery, and everyone seemed to think they were tastier than and at least as festive as champaign.

Serendipitously (because I didn't really plan it), the saisons seemed accessible enough for craft beer novices and complex enough for beer afficianados to enjoy alike.