1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What ridiculously expensive beer should I buy for new years?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCImes, Dec 15, 2012.

1. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (585) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

5 calling birds is only $20 and he wants something more.

Rfunk likes this.
  2. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (295) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

I've got a couple cascade blueberry heading my way so that is what I'm having for New Years. Sticking with your list, you can't go wrong with gueuze

3. krl2112

Well there r soooooany more than $25. I saw a Utopias sitting on the shelf at Binny's near clybourne in Chicago. U could buy one and go all out!

4. The last time I had a wee glass of Utopias i freakin loved it-we are talking the 2010 version. So much I just had to have the 2012/10th anniversary. Well worth it if you want a treat and can do it in my book. I am going to go get the Breury Fruet or Cuir seen here-dont know if it will cellar but would love to try some. I thought Infinium was great for what it was meant to be but not worth the price tag-fortunately I got my bottle as a gift.

5. Deus off your list. Utopias if you're really splurging.

6. cyraschris

cyraschris Aficionado (180) Florida Dec 15, 2012

As some have already mentioned, more in passing or pieces... I'm going for a trappist night myself. Managed to snag a Westy 12 brick (St Bern Abt 12 could sub in if you can't find/get/trade for a westy) so add that to one (or several) each of the remaining ones you can get from achel, westmalle, la trappe, chimay (blue!), orval (for the sake of comparing), and rochefort. Several have a couple variations so if you grab all the types you can find you'd have a good collection, and it would be a solid (and tasty). Just an option to buying a single or two of pricier beer. Will also chime in and say that the 2012 Utopias was extremely delicious, but would come in as more of a collectible and sipping beer so it depends how you want to enjoy the experience. Either way have fun with it.

7. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

My girl and I are gonna crack open a Bolt Cutter and a Black OPS, neither of which I've had the pleasure of tasting. I was lucky enough to get two of each so I can cellar some too. Can't wait to taste these.

8. Docrock

Docrock Savant (490) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

I was going to suggest Deus and I know Heritage has it, at least they did at Thanksgiving when I was there visiting family. We did some tastings over thanksgiving and Deus and Infinium were part of the seasonal group, no comparison, will never buy infinium again

9. Docrock

Docrock Savant (490) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

One of the liquor stores I buy from ran a raffle for one of these bottles, $10.00 a try. I bought one ticket and won the monster..I am going to open it in 2 years when my son gets his Masters and Daughter gets her Bachelors.

Dcv and cnbrown313 like this.
  10. claytong

claytong Initiate (0) Vermont Feb 27, 2011

got my sixer for 18.

11. luwak likes this.
  12. finado

finado Aficionado (105) Minnesota Jul 6, 2009

Try Heritage in Maplewood or Ale Jail on Selby in St. Paul

13. I will personally sell you a vintage 95 bud, asking price 75$ if thats not ridiculously expensive we can figure out a more expensive price that works

14. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (280) California Aug 2, 2012

Saw this one today:

Brew Dog - Tactical Nucleur Penguin

Talk about ridiculous @ $90 with a 79 BA rating

15. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (655) Florida May 25, 2012

16. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (280) California Aug 2, 2012

cyrushire likes this.
  17. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

You beat me to it, i seriously think this is the best idea.

Walk in that biotch like a boss and start pounding it! The ladies will jock! ;)

Ivegotmule likes this.
  18. $10.99 here.

19. If you can get Birra Del Borgo where you're at, L'Equilibrista is excellent. If you enjoyed Deus, you need to give this a try.

20. Just go to you're local bottle shop or bevmo/total wines and look for expensive bottles. Allagash curieux is good

21. I've got a De Cam Lambiek. This thread has convinced me to bring it with to the party. Hizzah.

Duffman929 likes this.
  22. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

Infinium is garbage...if you want a good beer, shoot for something GOOD. Remember you can trade with people...don't let geography hold you back. I recommend anything from The Bruery. I'm a Cali local, and work at a craft bar. I can get most of their beers through my Reserve Society. I also highly suggest the Eclipse series from Fifty Fifty brewing. Right now I have their Green, Black, Purple, and Blue Wax versions. Black (Evan Williams) and Purple (Elijah Craig) are awesome. But they are limited, and 35 bucks a pop + shipping. Just a thought.

23. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

You will be happy with that choice. De Cam is quality.

OP, it really depends on what styles you like. There are some great suggestions in this thread, if they are available to you. You can order some Cascade beers online and have them shipped to you, but I think you need at least 2 bottles and then pay for shipping.

24. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Utopias! A 2001. Or a Sam Adams Millenium.

25. The Ovila Quad is worth trying, although it may not be *ridiculously* expensive. I like it better than the Dubbel and the Saison. It is a unique take on a quad and has some very surprising yet subtle fruit notes

26. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

So that's only, like, two liter of abt 12 per person? Not bad :)

Edit: 1.5 if you let your wife have some, too.

Docrock likes this.
  27. Utopias or that xyiyauauauaua stuff.

28. I think Brute (though a pain in the ass to get) is the perfect New Year's beer. It's half champagne already and ohhhh so delicious!

29. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Infinium is not ridiculously expensive. I can get it for as cheap as $16.99.

30. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

5 bucks??? Holy crap. Its not an easy find in lower New York and its no cheaper than $12.99. I saw it somewhere in Northern New Jersey for like $10.99. If I had access to 5 dollar Stingo I'd buy 4 or 5 of those fuckers at a time.

High abv UK beer is overpriced. I guess its because of the tax they have to pay over there.

31. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

That's 4 Calling Birds.

32. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

I'm thinking Bud Lite...the cans are so shiny and festive.:eek:

No seriously, the Fruet is a very good choice from the Bruery. It is on the sweeter side, so it might be more approachable for non-beer lovers. This way you might not have to drink it alone.

33. krl2112

My bad. I was thinking 5 golden rings.

34. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

35. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

I was determined to pull up a coupla more suggestions, so I scrolled my reviews, and it seems that most of (what I consider to be) the best beers aren't that expensive. But ya gotta have that beer where you get a big payoff for the big payout, right? Something classy and celebratory in price and taste.
    Now, I'm still stickin' with the Cuir and the Fruet, 'cuz they were top-notch (pricey) drinking, but:

Recommendations of a more typical beer character...
    Probably just breaking that $25 mark ($26 or 27?) are Nebraska Brewing Company's Reserve series. They have a barleywine (Fathead), a barrel-aged RIS (Black Betty), and a Belgian IPA (Hop God). I was lukewarm on the RIS, but the other two were fantastic, and the only reason I don't buy 'em when I see 'em is because of the price. If you do want a good RIS, at a similar $26-and-change, North Coast's Old Rasputin XIV would be my choice, if you can find one. Again, I'm not familiar with their distribution.

36. I also have a blueberry, apricot, n sang noir heading my way. Never had anything from cascade but thought I would treat myself to a christmas/new years gift.

37. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I'll finally be popping open my Rare BCBS on NYE! I'd try to grab one of those or a Westy.

38. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Ooh, add the woodcut series to my list of possibilities. I havent had 5 or 6 yet. I have a bottle of 3 in the cellar.

I thnk ive seen lambicusx at a store around the west metro...Is that a Gueuze or lambic?

Id get a bottle of utopias if I could find it.

I just drank a bunch of trappist beers to get ready to drink a couple Westy 12's and have to say my favorite by far was Rochefort 8.

I have seen thomas hardys vintage ale a few places too. Thats one to put on the list?

Also agree that infinium sucked. well, it didnt "suck" in the way that a coors sucks, but for $7 more just get the deus and do it right.

39. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

3f oude gueze golden blend for the win. so much better than regular 3f oude gueze,

40. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Not trying to be THAT guy, but i'm starting to realize this is kind of a dumb way to chose a beer (sry OP) why would you spend a stupid amount of money on a brew you've never tasted, and can possible drain pour? To flaunt it in front of ppl at the party? You can walk in there witha Utopia & i'm pretty sure 90% of the ppl would not know you spent +$100 on it.

Just buy a cheap beer you like that's in a pretty bottle and tell them it's Fosachie (F-O...sachie!) Made from Unicorn tears & Chupacabra piss, $1000 an oz homie!!

Hotmetal1 likes this.